should i activate my phone first?

lamah

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
planning on updating my triumph to cm7 or cm9. i think i have rooted it (not sure).

anyway, my phone's never been activated. i had it for a year now, and it always asked me to activate whenever i reboot. i've been using it as an in-house voip phone and a mini-tablet all this time...

should i activate my phone before i change the rom? i like the option to be able to use it as a phone later and would hate to lose that option if this would affect it.... i remember when i flashed my nook to run android the guide cautioned me about registering with B&N prior to the flash.

Kale Blossom

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
It shouldn't be a problem on CM7. Sure you'll lose your data, including the activation application, BUT here's the cool thing!
You can back up all your settings and such with titanium backup, flash a rom that WILL let you activate, boots, activate, and then re-flash your old rom, boot it, launch Titanium Backup, and restore all your stuff/settings.
Sure it's roundabout, BUT if you're not using the phone on the network right now, there seriously is not reason to toss money monthly on it until you're ready to do so.
When you get ready to do the above, feel free to ask follow ups, I'm on my mobile, so I just gave the gist of it, but it's super simple! :)

Sent from my Triumph using Android Central Forums

lamah

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
thanks much for the response

so you recommend me update to cm7 over cm9? no issues with 3g, wifi, camera, mic, playstore?

Kale Blossom

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had any major issues. Cm9, as far as I know, is lacking a lot of stuff, whereas Cm7.2 has pretty much everything in working order(no hdmi tho).

If you want to try Cm9 before flashing cm7, please do a report! Someone told us they updated but never gave a single follow-up, and I never have time to fuss with installing new rom for fun, it's easier to type and try to help people here.

lamah

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
thanks for your help, i followed the direction in the thread below and everything's working fine. supposely hdmi doesn't work, but i don't even know what that is! there's no hdmi port on the side of my phone heh

http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...144576-rom-cm7-tg-reloaded-final-03-25-a.html

i did activate my phone prior to the upgrade. the phone is on the $35 plan. hopefully in the future they will allow me to switch with my old phone under the $25 grandfather plan

Last edited:

Kale Blossom

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Oh dear, I fear I need to be the debbie downer here. :/

Anyway, I HAD phone insurance, but with their recent price change, even if my triumph broke and I used the insurance, my plan would automatically go up to the $35/mo cost simply because I switched phones. Even if I downgraded back to my old Samsung Intercept.

So I'm just going to stay on my Triumph until it completely breaks, where I will be forced to get a new phone to replace it(and since I wouldn't pay $35/mo for another triumph, I removed insurance and am just saving that up for a potential replacement android).

So stick with the $25/mo plan phone if you can, when it breaks and you're forced to get a new phone, you're forced into the new plan anyway.

Kale Blossom

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I've contacted them personally through, just to clarify, to make sure I wasn't reading the update they had sent out regarding the last price change(I had the link, may still have it, I'll have to look)

Anyway, Paragraph 1:
if you are using the $25, $40, or $60 Beyond Talk Plans and you upgrade to a Beyond Talk Smartphone launched after May 1, 2012 (including the HTC EVO? V 4G), you will need to switch to the current $35, $45, or $55 Beyond Talk Monthly Plan. When you switch plans, you will need to pay for your new plan and you will lose any minutes, messages, and money in your balance. This will also change your monthly payment date. So if you are considering upgrading to a new smartphone, we recommend that you wait until right before your next monthly payment date to activate.​

It also says that you're screwed if your phone breaks mid-month. :/
I'm on the old Beyond Talk $25/mo plan for VM's androids. Had it since the intercept.
I emailed them when they sent this, and noted I had insurance, asking if my phone break, if I even got a replacement TRIUMPH, if my plan would be forced to increase. They said yes.

That said, their page does say something different. So I guess my suggestion would be, if your phone breaks and you want to move your account over, disconnect your bank card first so they can't try to take extra $$$ out of your account.
That being said, if it is like they noted in the email whenever my triumph breaks, I might move to a GSM friendly Pre-paid company and get a really high-end android. VM keeps trying to do things to increase it's prices anyway.

'~'

lamah

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
good news!

i took a chance yesterday and transferred one of my $25 plans (it was on LG rumor touch, so i figured what the hell) to the triumph. i did had to move back to stock rom to reactivate a 2nd time since they removed my ESN out of their system so i can reactivate the phone's ESN under the current account

not only did the phones swap with no problem, they didn't even reset my monthly plan date (even though the faq page says they would)

i logged in the system and saw the triumph listed in the account, with top-down charge date still on 8/2

so looks like they will honor that faq.............for a lil while longer....

thanks for your feedbacks

Last edited:

Kale Blossom

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
That's awesome! I suppose if it worked for you, then I don't have to worry about any price hikes for now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo