Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

Default VM motorola triumph 2.2>CWM>Sharp port>Miui 2.3.7 step by step

I am so please with the result, I would like to post this, so that other noobs like me may benefit
    Like eveybody here, been waiting forever to get an update, I decided to take the plunge and the result is unbelievable.

Before: Virgin Mobile, no contract cellphone, motorola triumph running OS 2.2 Froyo. Bought one year ago, no upgrade by manufacturer ever. Lots of problems, random reboot with some apps, battery lasted half a day only, no tether, USB connection hit or miss.

Yesterday: Running OS 2.2 Sharp port, above problems ALL solved except tether. YUP. This is a motorola made, running a Sharp port is more stable than its original built OS, go figure!

Today: Running Miui 2.4.20 (based 2.3.7 android), tether success AND turned this cellphone into a small computer!

This may brick your cell. Only proceed if you know what you are doing.

Oh, you do not need root to go thru the mod.

Step by step guide, may brick your cell! You have been warmed

1) Install CWM, clockworkmod, http://androidforums.com/triumph-all...a-triumph.html, CWM 5.5.0.4 (20120527) --RECOMMENDED VERSION or http://androidforums.com/triumph-all...a-triumph.html, cellphone specific, has to find your cellphone version, will brick your cell if it is NOT made for your model . Bascially, extract the CWM.zip file into a recovery.img file and replace this file with your cellphone recovery.img AND safe copy your original recovery file. I would called the original recovery file recovery.img.ori and copy it to winPC for safe. This is your life line to return your cellphone back to factory in case of trouble. Very important. The original guide works, but the versions are dated, so substitute the guide with more update files.

Upon bootup to recovery, holding all three buttons, vol up, vol down and then power button till phone vibrates, will see CWM 5.5.0.4 in lite blue color. Once installed CWM, you should not, in general, use the "reset to factory" function in your cell. from now on, you have to use CWM to reset and recovery.

2) Make a back up of the original OS - bootup to CWM recovery, navigate down to backup and recovery, make a backup of the your cellphone and copy it to winPC. You need this to get your cellphone back to factory state, so safe guard a copy.

3) Install any custom ROM that is made for your model - Make sure battery is at least 50% before proceed. find any custom ROM you please, download the ROM.zip file to winPC, and do not extract, and copy it to cellphone /SDcard/ROM.zip. Bootup cellphone to CWM recovery, and navigate down to flash ROM from SDcard and flash AND do not touch anything till it is done. In some case, this may be 3 - 4 minutes as if the cellphone is dead. I tried the Sharp ROM port, http://androidforums.com/triumph-all...7-15-12-a.html, and I liked it alot. However, tether is a pita.

4) Install MIUI - I heard a lot about miui, it is an OS based on Android OS. It claimed it is much better. IT IS! Miui turned my cellphone into a mini computer! Strongly recommended! I heard so many rave review about MIUI, seeing is believing.

Follow instructions here, http://androidforums.com/triumph-all...3-7-based.html.

Current status:
    Miui 2.4.20 (based on 2.3.7 android)
    what works
    GPS
    WIFI
    Tether USB and hotspot
    cellphone functions
    Google voice/talk/chat incoming and outgoing
    everything with 2.3.7
    camera, front and back
    BT
    SSHdroid
    root
    Skype/Google include video chat

what does not work
    has NOT seen any so far, reportedly HDMI

Edit:

(Gingerbreak apk v1.2)

The moto Triumph can be rooted just like the OpV, copied down from my previous post for completenesss. No. You do not need root to do the CWM mod.

Thanks. It worked on 1st shot. Just jog down a few notes in case I have to do it again.

Brand new stock Optimus V VM670 Android 2.2.1, has NOT been messed around yet till now

1) dl gingerbreak 1.2 to your winPC folder. I called it c:\ff dl\mygingerbreak

2) click ES file explorer>LAN shares>mygingerbreak>GingerBreak-v1.20.apk, it will install from your winPC to your phone.

3) insert an empty SD card, some mentioned that the SD card got wiped out, just a precaution step

4) on your phone>menu>settings>Applications>Development> select USB Debugging. Just enable USB Debugging and do not connect your phone with USB.

5) run gingerbreak on your phone, When prompted, select root. Phone will reboot if rooting is successful. 1st boot takes an unusually long time, kind of nerve wrecking, it is alright, just wait

6) Test root: install titanium backup from market

7) No. z4root does not work. I tried it.

8) So far, so good. wifi/3G/gps/market/skype/phone all working. Have NOT noticed any special behavior. Oh, on 2nd boot, it is back to normal booting time.

Once rooted, you now can look for custom kernel. Have NOT tried unroot yet.

Thanks for OP for this real easy root.

BTW, eventually it is also beneficial to setup adb, or even better adbwireless, use like adb but without the hassel of physically hooking up the USB cord. you will need adb to really play around your phone.

No pics, no stories, here are the pics

enjoy,

update 9/20/2012: reboot loop, unfortunately. Could be my SD card problem. Did not see anybody post problem like this.

bun
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VM motorola triumph 2.2>CWM>Sharp port>Miui 2.3.7 step by step-1347249556084.jpg   VM motorola triumph 2.2>CWM>Sharp port>Miui 2.3.7 step by step-1347249474425.jpg   VM motorola triumph 2.2>CWM>Sharp port>Miui 2.3.7 step by step-1347249529100.jpg  
    Last edited by bunanson; 09-20-2012 at 08:02 AM.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: VM motorola triumph 2.2>CWM>Sharp port>Miui 2.3.7 step by step

How long is your battery lasting with this update? Are you using the stock battery?
    I very much love CM7.2 and don't know much about things like miui, but would love better battery life w/o sacrificing functionality.

You may want to add on-to guide a how to root section to make it fully comprehensive

- - - Updated - - -

You may want to add on-to guide a how to root section to make it fully comprehensive
    LG Optimus V - CM 9.1 BobZ
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kale Blossom View Post
    How long is your battery lasting with this update? Are you using the stock battery?
    I very much love CM7.2 and don't know much about things like miui, but would love better battery life w/o sacrificing functionality.
    I just did this last night, so not much of a battery measure so far. Suffice to say, I did not have any warm/hot feels at the back of my motorola. Before this, my motorola gets hot at around 11 a or it will die shortly after, every ()&)(^*&( single day. I cannot use it afternoon, and I charge it overnight. It gets to the point, I just want to throw the moto triumph to the bayou.

I have not have to plug it in since 6 am in the morning. And I have been playing with it almost every half an hour, plus a 10 min video chat, and now it is 16 hrs, it still has 1 block in battery or 31%. Since I just made this yesterday, my use was uncharacteristic heavy, like 30 min use for every hours, i.e, close to 6.5 hr use, surfing, checking email, install programs, transfer file, etc. I think the battery with this Miui OS, should last more than 1 day with average use.

I will touch up on this subject in a few days of use.

bun

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bdfull3r View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Good point.

1) your phone does not have to be rooted for going thru this CWM. And most custom ROM are rooted already. and so does this Miui is also rooted.

2) just for completeness, the moto triumph can be rooted very straight forward, just like the Op V, copied from my previous post to the 1st post.

My brother has an Optimus V. I want to do the same too, install Miui to it. But the CWM is kind of intimidating. Did you install CM 9.1 and how do you like it? Mind to drop a few lines to make my life easier ? TIA, The Miui on Op V is not as smooth as I read from other post. But I am still interest to do it.

enjoy,

bun
    Last edited by bunanson; 09-09-2012 at 10:55 PM.

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
    I just did this last night, so not much of a battery measure so far. Suffice to say, I did not have any warm/hot feels at the back of my motorola. Before this, my motorola gets hot at around 11 a or it will die shortly after, every ()&)(^*&( single day. I cannot use it afternoon, and I charge it overnight. It gets to the point, I just want to throw the moto triumph to the bayou.

I have not have to plug it in since 6 am in the morning. And I have been playing with it almost every half an hour, plus a 10 min video chat, and now it is 16 hrs, it still has 1 block in battery or 31%. Since I just made this yesterday, my use was uncharacteristic heavy, like 30 min use for every hours, i.e, close to 6.5 hr use, surfing, checking email, install programs, transfer file, etc. I think the battery with this Miui OS, should last more than 1 day with average use.

I will touch up on this subject in a few days of use.

bun
    I look forward to your update! If it's still doing good for you I'll try it out Sunday(after the DC trip with my BF and his parents) :3 I'd LOVE to get better battery life but it'd suck so much to have it mess up and there not be any time to fix it before the trip :P
    Last edited by Kale Blossom; 09-10-2012 at 06:15 PM. Reason: clarification
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

Unfortunately, not any more, it first cellular stopped, cant call out, and then reboot loop. I did not try for too long, I flashed back to the sharp 2.2.2

bun

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Well I guess good thing I never got around to putting it on my android :-)
    Sorry to hear that happened! I will note you should try out carat and run cm7.2. I dunno of either of the later CMs have everything necessary working

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

It still has that kernel bug with Wifi and Deep Sleep. Only downside.

Looks like Kale got a Nexus.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

I flashed back to the sharp 2.2.2; it worked very good, so far, it has been good in the last 5 days, and still going strong. When I 1st flashed to this sharp port, everything works except hotspot tehther. So I went to the miui. And interesting, after the miui, I went back to the sharp, wifi hotspot tether is working. Witch craft! It is kind of slow though. It works email,gps,kind of acceptable. But when loading a web page, it takes a min or so. This is slow as it compares to its little brother Optimus V, it is running 2.3.7 Backside IHO, and hotspot on loading webpage is only a couple of second. And MotoTriumph is a much upper end machine than the OpV, hotspot should be faster. Dont know where can I adjust some parameter to make it goes faster. I was not that interest in hotspot till I got this thing called Nexus7. Is there any 2.3.7 on the Triumph works good? For the time, I have been very happy with my OpV and MotoTriumph, which is running 2.3.7 and 2.2.2 sharp port. And ()&(&^&%Virgin Mobile keep me hostage on their horrible stock ROM 2.2.2 for more than years , they should really got a class action lawsuit

I thought about the way I flash, may have something to do with the Sharp port is now tether while before it wont. I followed ALL the instructions, wipe cache... except I did not do the sd-ext. I do not know what is that, and not sure if I have anything important there, so I did not do that step. I know /SDcard is the microSD card I inserted. Is the sd-ext is the phone internal nand? or is that the same as /SDcard, refer to the microSD card I inserted? There are several very detail instructions in the forum, still, for the 1st timer, it is intimidating. I think I will try the Tickerguy 2.3.7 see whether it gets better tether.

This forum is unbelievable. Why cant the manufacturer do something like this? Why, the consumers have to sweat thru this after paying those blood-sucking manufacturers our hard earned $? Just some rants on a sunday morning and listening to the 70s "Me and mrs Jones" ....

bun
    Last edited by bunanson; 09-23-2012 at 10:06 PM.