Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

Default How to tell if a phone is rooted?

I just bought a X off ebay and it should be here tomorrow. I left blackberry after realizing that Im paying the same money for a phone each month that cant do most of the things a droid can. I was very good at using and abusing the BB but my experiance with android is limited to a few months with a D inc. My real question is how do I know if the phone has been rooted and if so how do I put it back stock and then download GB? Anything you tell me will be a great help, thanks.
    Droiderator

ROM
    Bugless Nexus

Few ways. Most rooted users run clockwork. While the phone is on pull the battery then reinstall and boot. If it boots into some crazy looking screen then its rooted. Or dl a app in the market that needs root and see if it works. Also dl terminal emulator in the market open it you will see a $ type su and hit enter. If you get a super user request or a # your rooted. If you see the superuser icon in your apps your rooted.

sent by CyanogenMod X

ROM
    CM9,Tablet Mode,Nova

Default Re: How to tell if a phone is rooted?

To revert to stock, you'll want to research the term SBF. If you're a Windows user you'll want a program called RSD lite, if you're a Linux user you'll want sbf_flash. If you're a Mac user you need a better OS

There's plenty of info here on the subject, feel free to ask if you get stuck:
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...ng-roms-hacks/
    Galaxy Nexus (VZW)
    Motorola Droid X (WiFi)/Motorola Droid 2 Global (VZW)
    Motorola 9505A (Iridium)/HP Zeen (WiFi)
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

Thanks a lot guys. Thats more info then I thought I would get. Mac user get a better OS, thats too funny. I have an ipod but thats as far as my money goes to apple.

Download any root only app & try to run it. If it asks for Superuser access & works, it's rooted. If not, it's not rooted. That would be a lot easier for someone new to Android than messing with Clockwork or Terminal Emulator.

Quote Originally Posted by jdbower View Post
    To revert to stock, you'll want to research the term SBF. If you're a Windows user you'll want a program called RSD lite, if you're a Linux user you'll want sbf_flash. If you're a Mac user you need a better OS

There's plenty of info here on the subject, feel free to ask if you get stuck:
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...ng-roms-hacks/
    LMAO.. This had me Crackin!!!

i tried rootin phone (droid x) with easy root script v7 an it went through but phone is sayin its not rooted plz help

tried rootin dx with easy root script v7 an went through but phone is ayin it isnt rooted plz help need finished tonighy
    Android Enthusiast

Global Posts
    2,106 Global Posts
    ROM
    SKAnkCM10/Milestone6

Quote Originally Posted by killersaint123 View Post
    tried rootin dx with easy root script v7 an went through but phone is ayin it isnt rooted plz help need finished tonighy
    Never heard of that one o_O

Check the stickies.

Sent from the future on my Samsung Galaxy S 3!

Quote Originally Posted by killersaint123 View Post
    on my htc thunderbolt I am using revolutionary. if you look up nate3mil there is a step by step youtube video. I believe I saw droid x on there passkey drop down box. if you have any questions email me at whistlestick08@yahoo.com

I typed the 'su' on my xperia x10a and it showed permission denied. Pls helped!
    Quote Originally Posted by tntdroid View Post
    Few ways. Most rooted users run clockwork. While the phone is on pull the battery then reinstall and boot. If it boots into some crazy looking screen then its rooted. Or dl a app in the market that needs root and see if it works. Also dl terminal emulator in the market open it you will see a $ type su and hit enter. If you get a super user request or a # your rooted. If you see the superuser icon in your apps your rooted.

sent by CyanogenMod X

I had successfully rooted by Droid Razr following the steps at Droid Razr Root!.
    Recently I needed to unroot my phone and followed the unroot steps at the same site as above. To verify I was unrooted I performed the following:
    Downlaoded ConnectBot via Google Play.
    Using ConnectBot, I connected as a local host. Gave it a name "localhost". When connected, I get the follwing
    app_158@cdma_spyder:/$
    I typed "su" (without quotes), the response came back
    su: not found
    and brought me back to the app_158@cdma_spyder:/$ prompt

Does this mean I'm back to factory and not rooted?

Quote Originally Posted by pyeribouy View Post
    I typed the 'su' on my xperia x10a and it showed permission denied. Pls helped!
    i have an xperia play and the same thing happened to me.

Quote Originally Posted by tntdroid View Post

sent by CyanogenMod X
    i downloaded the terminal emulator on my Sony xperia play and typed in "su" it said "access denied"