Gmail update (2.3.5) won't install on Liberty .9

jldeitch

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
My Droid X (Liberty .9) tried to update to the latest Gmail (2.3.5) this morning. I got the improperly signed packet error. So I renamed the Gmail.apk to Gmail.apk.old, rebooted and downloaded a fresh copy of Gmail. However, it FC'd immediately, and refused to run. Cache cleanings, etc., did nothing to fix the situation.

I returned to the older version, so at least I'm getting my Gmail. But I'd like to get the newer version running if I can. Any thoughts/suggestions on what's going on and how to fix it?

Thx!

jsharp

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
It took some fighting but using Lazlos advice I got it to work. I think Gmail could still use better contrast between read and unread email. I think the blur email is better.

jldeitch

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Worked for me, too, but also after a minor little bit of wrestling. TB is the key -- it uninstalls more cleanly than the other options I had at my disposal.

W/r/to Liberty, it's stable and it's worked a ton better than the rooted stock I used to be on. There may be other options (e.g., CM7), but I just don't have the time right now to SBF back and set things up again.

May play with Justice during a couple of long car drives we've got coming up. Or straight CM7. But, for now, I need a fully functioning phone much more than I need to fiddle with ROMs <sigh>.

Thanks, y'all...

xelhabb

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I was just about to post for this and saw the fix. TB uninstalled and the new Gmail loaded and installed without error. Just make sure to go to your accounts and manually re-sync after the install.

Of course people are still using Liberty. However the Dev doesn't seem to be supporting the ROM is enthusiastically as before. Maybe work has him busy. I am using vo.8 because 9 totally went batty on me with the keyboard force closing. I'll be with Liberty until the Bionic comes out.