Why root,

Father Time

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I'm a newbie kinda. Had my X for about 9 month or so and love it much more than my old BB. I'd call myself computer literate but not an expert.
In simple terms, why would I want to root my phone? Advantage? Disadvantages? What do I gain with root, and whats the difference (if any) between root and rom?

Ahowe125

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I'm a newbie kinda. Had my X for about 9 month or so and love it much more than my old BB. I'd call myself computer literate but not an expert.
In simple terms, why would I want to root my phone? Advantage? Disadvantages? What do I gain with root, and whats the difference (if any) between root and rom?

The main advantage of Rooting a phone, is the ability to use Apps that would otherwise not be available to you. One example is Titanium Backup. This program requires the device to be Rooted. You can use it to make a backup of all your phones settings and applications. It can also be used to "freeze" the "bloatware" off your phone. Which just means disabling the Verizon programs that you don't want to use or need. It is extremely handy when flashing custom ROM's. There are MANY other applications that you have at your disposal when your Root your phone, and a lot of them preform functions that a normal user would not need to do.

Another reason you Root your phone, is to run other applications that allow you to Flash custom ROM's. A ROM will replace the factory operating system of the phone, and normally this will allow the phone to run faster, more efficient, use less battery, and unlock many other features of the phone. While Rooting is easy, flashing a custom ROM is slightly harder and has a greater possibility to screw up your phone. Most mistakes are easily fixed by following direction of other users, and rarely do you ever totally disable your phone. But again unless your the tech type and you have a reason to flash a custom ROM, it doesn't offer a normal day to day user that much.

In the end you have to ask yourself what your missing out on if you don't Root. Do you have a need for anything that you currently cant do with your Droid? I personally did it because I wanted to change the ROM and adjust all aspects of the phone. I have it overclocked and running very smooth and fast.

I'm not trying to scare you into not making modifications to your phone, quite the opposite actually. I think its great that people are interested in doing this kinda stuff, and its questions like these that got me started. I too was in your shoes when I first got my Droid X, and by asking questions and reading resources I not only learned what ROM's and Rooting was, but also self taught myself how to do it. So if your serious about making the leap, then do your homework and go for it. I know I love modding and will do it to any future phones I own.