[How To] Root 4.5.621 with magic md5 (does not require Milestone SBF)

sd_shadow

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
[How To] Root 4.5.621 with magic md5 (does not require Milestone SBF)

bhigham /beh modified the root method
based on New D2 root method for stock 2.3.4 (621/622) found (Droid2, R2D2)

How this works
Originally Posted by phifc
There's an exploit in loadpreinstall.sh. It compares md5 sum files of preinstalled apps and if they're different, copies the md5 to the local cache. The preinstall just has an empty file in app/ so it will parse the md5 for it. Instead of an md5 sum, it contains a local.prop that allows adb root shell. So the system thinks it's copying the md5sum to the cache when it bounces off the symlink and overwrites the /data/local.prop, giving adb root on next reboot

originally posted by bhigham /beh
Since all these devices (Droid 2/R2D2/D2G/DX2 and DX seem to be vulnerable to the same exploit found by phifc at
http://rootzwiki.com...nd-droid2-r2d2/
I have assembled rooting methods for all of them in EzSbf style CD. I have tested it on my D2G, and the same method has been tested by multiple users on the D2/R2D2, and has worked fine.
Credit for this method go to phifc, djrbliss, and the others who developed the method.
I have simply taken the method, and assembled the tools.
Credit for the idea behind the CD method should go to 1KDS, as I have mostly patterned this CD after his method.
Credit should also go to Skrilax_CZ, as without his Motorola Android Firmware (De)packer, we wouldn't be able to have a 55 meg CD that covers multiple devices.
Special thanks also to themib for testing and troubleshooting on the DroidX2. In fact, since I don't have a DX2, he actually did a majority of the work in finding a method that would work (the method for the D2 and D2G doesn't quite work), and then we worked together to get it assembled and working.

This CD is for the D2,R2D2, D2G, and DX on Android version 2.3.4, and the DX2 on 2.3.5.
One note if you have troubles with it not working. It might be necessary to disconnect the phone after it flashes the preinstall and reboots. It seems that some phones may not complete the reboot process before being rebooted by ADB, so you may need to disconnect the phone when it starts booting, and let it boot fully before hooking it back up. when hooked back up, it will be rebooted, and should go on with the process like normal.

Of course, like all other things here, I have done my best on this, but there are no guarantees, and anything you do on your phone is at your own risk.
So, without further ado, here is a link for the CD
http://www.mediafire...mim304k214kl41h
and the md5 is
7baee9c34f6ef7ad0b4fa219ae387c68

How to verify the file was downloaded correct with
MD5/SHA-1 Hash Checksums

Droid2_D2G_DX_DX2-RootCD-2012.iso
has options for D2, D2G, DX, and DX2
burn image to cd with imgburn , (Instructions, Window 7 - Vista and XP )
or flash drive use UNetBootin for Windows (Instructions from pendrivelinux.com )

basically read onscreen directions

Reboot PC
Hit F12 (sometimes F8 or esc) during boot to go to boot menu
Select drive image is on
wait for yellow "boot baby... boot" screen
You will see yellow dots for 3-5 minutes then the script will start

select DX
don't use numbers on right side of you keyboard, just use the ones above qwerty

turn phone on, connect to pc with usb cable

check usb debugging (settings/apps/development)
select charge only usb mode

press continue
adb will push
Code:
data/local.prop /data/preinstall_md5/magic.md5
reboot phone to bootloader (Hold volume up+down buttons and power button, or hold Vol.Down and Camera and wait for the screen to flash)
repacked sbf will be flashed (less than 50mb)
phone will, reboot twice, very important (reboot just replaces the local.prop, but the old local.prop is still in memory, till second reboot)
adb pushes su,superuser, and busybox
reboot to recovery, wipe cache (should auto reboot to recovery, at android andy press both volume buttons, if it doesn't press home button and hold it in then press your power button, hold it in also till you see a triangle on the screen w/ android andy then press both volume buttons)
then select reboot
rooted

if you have a mac
try How to burn an .iso on mac
and Boot your Mac from CD, DVD, external drive, or USB flash drive

more
thread list Magic MD5 Root 2.3.4 for D2, R2D2, D2G, DX and 2.3.5 for DX2

Links to FAQs, SBF, ROMs, Guides...

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics