Installing .apk's with Terminal (Mac OSX)

clockvstrain

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Upon removing some stock apps with Titanium Backup, my phone restarted itself and now has a no-smoking-sign-circle where my bars/3G symbol used to be. I can't transfer/receive any data.

Anyone know how to install .apk's straight to the phone using Terminal (I'm on OSX)? I found some solutions that involve App Installer, but I can't connect to the Market to download it.

It was either Car Dock, Voice Dialer or CityID that did it.

And yes, after doing some research, I now know to backup every app before uninstalling it, so please spare me the lectures . Just looking for some help. Thanks!

Leif

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
(Don't blame me if you further screw things up by doing this)

1. Download adb from developer.android.com
2. cd into the directory you downloaded, and than into the tools directory.
3. Plug in your phone
4. Run './adb devices', It should spit out an id and say 'device', if it says 'unkown', try restarting the phone, or otherwise get it to the device.
5. './adb install app_path.apk', and it should install.

Good luck.

clockvstrain

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
(Don't blame me if you further screw things up by doing this)

1. Download adb from developer.android.com
2. cd into the directory you downloaded, and than into the tools directory.
3. Plug in your phone
4. Run './adb devices', It should spit out an id and say 'device', if it says 'unkown', try restarting the phone, or otherwise get it to the device.
5. './adb install app_path.apk', and it should install.

Good luck.

This is exactly what I need to do... so thank you for the directions.

Just need to figure out which .apk I need.

When I try to launch the dialer, it says "Application is not installed on your phone," so I obviously uninstalled it by accident. Just need to figure out which .apk that is...

And Cory, WiFi will not turn on. Good thinking though.

clockvstrain

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
My device is connected, but I can't seem to get the pathname down...

Paul-Luparios-MacBook-Pro:tools paullupario$ ./adb install Users/paullupario/Desktop/vvm.apk
can't find 'Users/paullupario/Desktop/vvm.apk' to install

I tried putting the .apk in the tools folder and just doing:

Paul-Luparios-MacBook-Pro:tools paullupario$ ./adb install Vvm.apk
can't install 'Vvm.apk' because it's not a file

I'm pretty new to Mac and am by no means a Terminal guru...

Leif

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I don't know how the mac file structure works...but if the terminal is using anything remotely related to bash, your first command didn't work because you set it up to be a relative path (as in the system tried to find (your local path)/Users/blah/vvm.apk

Your second one might work, however, I noticed that you used two different filenames: vvm.apk and Vvm.apk, I 'think' mac systems are case sensitive, so do you have the case correct? (aka, with the app in the same directory try: ./adb install vvm.apk ), good luck.

clockvstrain

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
To Cory: it doesn't seem to be able to find the app (I placed it in the "2-Place-App-Here" folder)

ls: 2-Place-App-Here: No such file or directory
Found

Press enter to continue...

Pushing to phone...
Password:
sudo: ./adb: command not found
Pushed! You may need to reboot your phone to see the change.

And to Leif, I tried again typing it case sensitive.. still telling me file not found.

Are these .apk's supposed to be folders (when viewing them in Finder)? Maybe that's the problem?

Edit: I finally got it to install. I reinstalled CarDock.. nothing happened. Reinstalled CityID and after I rebooted, got a voicemail and e-mail from a while ago, and I can connect to wireless, but still no 3G/data connection or phone dialer app. I can't remember the last app I uninstalled. I could've sworn it was VoiceDialer or something. Anyone know which .apk is associated with the phone's default dialer? Maybe by running a Task Killer and letting me know what's running?

Edit2: Figured it out: it was BlurPhone.apk

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Xmas Ray

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Cory: Relative nube here, wondering A) How to get a non-rooted phone to web browse or install from an app store via WiFi instead of a mobile data network, especially since I've already shifted my services to another phone (forgot to backup a few things first, like SMS threads and call logs); and B) Not sure I know what App Installer to which you refer.

Vitaliy Konovalov

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Write this query in Google "apk installer by vitovalov". Download the app and you'll be able to install the apk by just double clicking on it after you create an association to .apk files. It's all explained in the github source. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34