Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Root on 2.2 Mac

I'm a Mac user and want to root my X. Are there potential for problems since my device is already on 2.2? Thanks.
    Last edited by tm2367; 08-02-2010 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Incorrect grammar
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

The real question is how do you already have 2.2 on your X?
    BlackBerry 8330 --> BlackBerry Storm1 --> Motorola Droid --> HTC Droid Incredible & Motorola Droid X & Motorola Xoom
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I have no answer to that. Must have been OTA. Flash is decent. Kongregate runs well.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

Well, lucky you I guess. But to answer your question, you can try to do it (at your own risk) using the 2.1 method since nobody has had the chance to test it out on 2.2 since nobody has it yet.

You have a couple options but again, do this at your own risk.

Here's a video of a guy doing it with a Mac.

and you can also do it on the device with the terminal emulator

if you do decide to do it and you're successful, you should use a screenshot application and show off your rooted 2.2 X. I'd be very interested to see that since all of the 2.2 Droid X screenshots have looked photoshopped.
    BlackBerry 8330 --> BlackBerry Storm1 --> Motorola Droid --> HTC Droid Incredible & Motorola Droid X & Motorola Xoom

I call BS with no Screenshot.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Video not processed yet, but there's another upload in progress.
    Thanks AvlFive for the info. I think i'll wait for you pros to root then i'll follow
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tm2367 View Post
    Video not processed yet, but there's another upload in progress.
    Thanks AvlFive for the info. I think i'll wait for you pros to root then i'll follow
    No problem at all.

It should be the same process (hopefully) and it should go over just as smooth but without anybody testing yet, it's kinda like uncharted waters so I think you're making a good decision to hold off on it.

*waits for video to finish processing*
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

there it is
    Thanked by:
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

WOW! That's crazy! Lucky lucky you.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Yuuup.
    Last edited by tm2367; 08-02-2010 at 07:18 PM.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

If you don't mind me asking, how did you get this phone? Did you buy it from eBay or something?

Also, it would be cool if you could try to get us some clean screen shots since the video is a little blurry (not complaining ) or post the details of the about screen.

The thing I'm most interested in is more info on Flash running. How does it work in the browser? Other than games, how does video do? Have you tried going to a full flash site and tried navigating?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

Froyo on the Droid X [video #Froyogeddon]

Got yourself up on the front page.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,521 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

How about q&a thread? This is five minutes of fame. I'd like u see if jit is there in settings. Also get the quadrant app from market and bench test it please
    With and without jit enabled. What else is new thanks
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...

Quote Originally Posted by Stang68 View Post
    The thing I'm most interested in is more info on Flash running. How does it work in the browser? Other than games, how does video do? Have you tried going to a full flash site and tried navigating?
    Assuming Froyo on the X is the same as it was on my hacked Droid, Flash worked well. Most sites with flash worked like you'd expect, some really well, mimicking the desktop, while others where a little clunky. For example, some of the flash adverts came into focus so I had to close them out - wasn't really a big deal most of the time but I can see this being a minor annoyance for some. The good news though, is that most of the browsers had a setting to call up flash on demand. So you'd only click on what you want to see.

Flash videos were either slow and choppy or fast and fluid - it really depended on the site. CNN had choppy videos while MSN's were very smooth - almost desktop like. The flash plugin usually alerted me to videos that weren't mobile friendly though. And even though CNN's were choppy, they were definitely good enough to be viewed regardless.

Battery life did suffer a bit, but not that much and should really be expected. Of course it depends totally on how much flash you're viewing. I know I'm prepared to get a second battery or an extended because I will be using it a lot.

IMO, flash even with all its issues was a great, almost necessary addition to the browsing experience. And I really miss it on the X. So Froyo can't come soon enough. For those who don't think they need it all I have to say is: once you go flash they ain't no going back!

As stated before, do you mind posting your scores for Quadrant and Linpack? I'm very curious to see since the Droid 2's Quadrant score was the same as the Droid X even though it is running 2.2.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

If he does come back in here and starts fulfilling requests and does a more thorough review, just keep in mind that it did seem like an early, unpolished developer version of Froyo so results with his may (and probably will) vary from what is eventually released to the public in a couple weeks (hopefully).

Default benchmark

Im interested too. I ran QUADRANT PRO. I noticed the only change from 2.1 to 2.2 on the nexus was the cpu rate. The others 2d/3d ... io....and memory were unchanged. My best guess would benchmark the droid x between 1950-2100.

it actually REALLY bothers me that you're saying "two DOT two" instead of "two POINT two". maybe im just crazy...

but in a related note...cant wait for froyos to happen to me
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

I'll be able to benchmark later tonight. Flash runs well in the browser. Vimeo, YouTube, etc work like they would on a desktop browser. A lot less buggy than the videos I saw from Adobe's reviews.you won't be disappointed. I'll definitely post another video and answer some q's when I get home later tonight.
    Thanked by:

Well, I stand corrected.

how is the speed?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tm2367 View Post
    I'll be able to benchmark later tonight. Flash runs well in the browser. Vimeo, YouTube, etc work like they would on a desktop browser. A lot less buggy than the videos I saw from Adobe's reviews.you won't be disappointed. I'll definitely post another video and answer some q's when I get home later tonight.
    Thanks! Looking forward to it. It'll be something to hold me over until the rest of us get us some of that delicious Froyo goodness.

I really want to see those Quadrant scores.

Yea if chrome to phone isnt working, its not the latest build. Those of us that ran Froyo leaks on the Droid, that was one app that didnt work until later builds. Moto Torch was another one until the developer updated it.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Second quick look is coming up. Here are some specs for you.

System Version: Version 2.2.1.MB810.Verizon.en.US , eng build
    Model Number: DROIDX
    Android Version: 2.2
    Baseband Version: BP_C_01.09.04P
    Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9-gfed5c94
    w30471@il93lnxdroid08 #1
    Build Number: VZW
    ERI Version: 5
    PRL Version: 51926

Full Quadrant Benchmark came out at 854. Dont have the ability to toggle on/off Flash content. Chrometophone is fully operational (and really cool). I purchased this via private party. More on my next quick look which is uploading currently.
    Last edited by tm2367; 08-03-2010 at 01:21 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast