Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

Default [How-To] ROOT and UN-ROOT Your 2.1 Droid X (without ADB)

"How-To Root Your Motorola Droid X without Using ADB (using only your device)"

DISCLAIMER: YOU ARE DOING THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. I, NOR ANYONE ELSE WILL ACCEPT ANY RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU BRICK YOUR DEVICE. AGAIN, YOU ARE DOING THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

For the time being, I can only say that this works with Android 2.1

I have tested these instructions multiple times and it worked for me everytime.

Credits
    Credit for the instructions I used to do this myself go to qoncept at droidforums.net & soapinmouth at androidforums.com
    Credit for figuring out the exploit goes to Sebastian Kramer via his blog post
    Credit for editing Sebastian's exploit to work on the Droid X goes to Birdman from alldroid.org @mrweeeedbirdman - Steven Bird

Download a Terminal Emulator and a File Manager
    Suggested Terminal Emulator: Android Terminal Emulator on AppBrain by Jack Palevich (Backspace doesn't work if you're using swype keyboard so I'd switch to the stock keyboard for this process.)
    Suggested File Manager: Astro File Manager on AppBrain by Metago

Download the Attached File
    Download the attached file found below named DroidXRoot.zip

Rename the Attached File
    The Android browser renames files when downloaded so we'll need to change it.

Open Astro File Manager-->Press Menu-->More-->Preferences-->Look and Feel and disable "Hide File Extensions". Press back until you back out to the file list. Then open the download folder and then long press on the file "resource.ashx" and rename it to "update.zip".

Extract the Attached File
    After renaming, long press again and "Extact To This Directory". Now that's enough of the setup, time for the good stuff.

Getting Root Access
    Place a WIFI toggle widget on your homescreen and make sure you have it turned ON. (After you type in the commands below, you will need to quickly switch to your homescreen and switch WIFI off and back on quickly. This part took me a couple times to get right.)

Open up the Terminal Emulator and type in the following codes, one line at a time. (yes, put the spaces in) (codes are in blue)

cd /sqlite_stmt_journals
    cp /sdcard/download/exploid ./exploid
    chmod 755 exploid
    ./exploid

After you type in the last command line quickly press your "Home" physical button and switch WIFI off (with the toggle) and then back on. You'll know if you did it quick enough after you type the next command line.

rootshell

If you get asked for the password, then you were quick enough.
    If not, type ./exploid and do the WIFI off/on again.

The password is secretlol

Copying the Root (Superuser) Files
    So now you have root but you are not done yet. You have to copy the Superuser files over to make it permanent (you can still unroot later if desired).

After entering the password, type the following commands into the terminal (one line at a time)

cp /sdcard/download/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
    cp /sdcard/download/su /system/bin/su
    cp /sdcard/download/busybox /system/bin/busybox
    chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
    rm /system/bin/rootshell
    exit

You are now officially rooted.

Checking to See if You Have Root Access
    Close out your Terminal Emulator and then reopen it. Type in the following command.

su

Your prompt should now change from $ to #. If anything else happened, something went wrong in the process.

Congratulations! You are now officially rooted.

I will be posting instructions on how-to UN-ROOT using the same method at a later time.

I may decide to post the "How-To Root Your Motorola Droid X with ADB" but there are so many people that run into problems with ADB and the drivers that I'm going to hold off on that for now.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    BlackBerry 8330 --> BlackBerry Storm1 --> Motorola Droid --> HTC Droid Incredible & Motorola Droid X & Motorola Xoom
    Thanked by 4:
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

"How-To UN-ROOT Your Motorola Droid X without Using ADB (using only your device)"

Open up the Terminal Emulator and type in the following codes, one line at a time. (yes, put the spaces in) (codes are in blue)

cd /sqlite_stmt_journals
    cp /sdcard/download/exploid ./exploid
    chmod 755 exploid
    ./exploid

After you type in the last command line quickly press your "Home" physical button and switch WIFI off (with the toggle) and then back on. You'll know if you did it quick enough after you type the next command line.

rootshell

If you get asked for the password, then you were quick enough.
    If not, type ./exploid and do the WIFI off/on again.

The password is secretlol

rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
    rm /system/bin/su
    rm /system/bin/busybox
    rm /system/bin/rootshell
    reboot
    BlackBerry 8330 --> BlackBerry Storm1 --> Motorola Droid --> HTC Droid Incredible & Motorola Droid X & Motorola Xoom
    Thanked by 2:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

*RESERVED FOR FURTHER INFO (IF NEEDED)*
    Thanked by:

Awesome. Had to do it twice, but finally got prompted to allow the Superuser request and am now rooted. Thanks alot, I found this much easier than having to do it with adb.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by irishmyles003 View Post
    Awesome. Had to do it twice, but finally got prompted to allow the Superuser request and am now rooted. Thanks alot, I found this much easier than having to do it with adb.
    No problem. That's why I posted this method instead. There are so many things that can go wrong with ADB. It might take a little more time to type things in on the device but much easier IMO.

Yeah, I would def suggest this method to anyone until the Easy Root app appears back in the marketplace. Im actually tethering right now. Glad I found this.

Thank you sir for the step by step. It was very clear and easy to follow.
    I had to re flash my X today. Got a little crazy when deleting some bloat ware.
    The one click root gui didnt work.
    Your step by step worked just fine first time.

thanks!
    After almost 2 years with a 9530, upgraded to Droid X. Haven't looked back...
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dusturm View Post
    Thank you sir for the step by step. It was very clear and easy to follow.
    I had to re flash my X today. Got a little crazy when deleting some bloat ware.
    The one click root gui didnt work.
    Your step by step worked just fine first time.

thanks!
    Well, I got a question for you. Did you use the Linux method or did you use Windows? Last I saw, Windows was untested but SHOULD have worked with the latest RSD Lite.

Quote Originally Posted by avlfive View Post
    Well, I got a question for you. Did you use the Linux method or did you use Windows? Last I saw, Windows was untested but SHOULD have worked with the latest RSD Lite.
    Used the windows instructions. It was easy and worked the first try.
    After almost 2 years with a 9530, upgraded to Droid X. Haven't looked back...
    Thanked by:

I rooted my dx once before and unrooted it. when I go to type in the terminal commands it says cd: can't cd to /splite_stmt_journals. Something wrong?
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

So just to clarify, did you download the attached file and have it renamed and moved to the root of your SD card?

it is under /sdcard/download i've renamed the .zip to update.zip and extraceted to that directorary. I guess it should be important to say that i used another application to root my DX the first time (i tired this way but typing in all that correctly just pissed me off) with the UIE one button root program.

EDIT: ohh ahaha. yes i see. i skiped that part. didnt put it in the root folder.
    EDIT: is there a way to copy and paste those commands, my fingers are a bit stupid. that and backspace doesnt seem to work
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iven88 View Post
    I rooted my dx once before and unrooted it. when I go to type in the terminal commands it says cd: can't cd to /splite_stmt_journals. Something wrong?
    I don't know if this is a typo or not but it is sqlite not splite.

Ok. Now when I type on the commands for saving the superuser into the system it says that my files are read only.
    Cp /sdcard/download/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk and the rest all return as read only
    The rm returns with no directory
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

Sorry for that, if you copy from the root of the sd card you leave the download part out of the commands.

So if they're on the root of the sd card, cp /sdcard/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk

If they're in the download folder, cp /sdcard/download/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk

That's my fault in the instructions for not explaining that better. When I did it, I didn't move them to the root of the sd card but both ways will work, you just have to specify where the files are while typing the command.

BTW, if you use the stock android keyboard instead of Swype, you'll be able to backspace.

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

Will these work with 2.2?
    Going through the smartphones went from WM 6 to BlackBerry Storm to Nexus One to the HTC Incredible and now the Droid X.
    Entering all new territory called Motorola Xoom tablet.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

These HAVE NOT been tested for 2.2 and as far as I know, there isn't a root method for unrooted 2.2 so the only way to have rooted 2.2 is to load it that way.
    jrk

Will this still work after the froyo update from friday 8/20 ??
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jrk View Post
    Will this still work after the froyo update from friday 8/20 ??
    Refer to the post above yours.

I understand this does not worked with the leaked froyo update, but what about the .604 update? When i enter the 2nd line cp /sdcard/download/exploid ./exploid it says no such file or directory. I extracted everything to the download folder of the sd card.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sensatti View Post
    I understand this does not worked with the leaked froyo update, but what about the .604 update? When i enter the 2nd line cp /sdcard/download/exploid ./exploid it says no such file or directory. I extracted everything to the download folder of the sd card.
    Yes it does work with .604 since that's what I was on when I did it.

I would double check with astro to make sure the file is in there.

Nevermind, dumb mistake on my part. I already had a file named update.zip saved in the download folder so when i renamed it somehow the original update.zip file i had overwrote it.

Thanks, this is much better than using adb.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sensatti View Post
    Nevermind, dumb mistake on my part. I already had a file named update.zip saved in the download folder so when i renamed it somehow the original update.zip file i had overwrote it.

Thanks, this is much better than using adb.
    No doubt.

Good to hear that you got it.

Thumbs up Scared Rooter

Well, i have been wondering about rooting.. how hard.. and such. My brother rooted his android phone and says he would have it no other way. I found this procedure, and being ex military, found it REALLY easy to follow. I made one mistake typing, restarted and BOOM! rooted Droid x. I installed the WIFI tether program and tested.. worked! and it was faster than the Average ISP. Thanks for the awesome instructions!!
    Thanked by:

What wireless tether program did you use?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast