MOTOROLA PULLED SBF FILE! THINK BEFORE HACKING YOUR PHONE!

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded it and it has 3 seperate zips inside. The first zip contains the SBF, second zip is 32-bit drivers and third zip is 64-bit drivers. Note: you need the SBF_flash file that you can still download off the rootzwiki site so grab it now before god knows what else Motorola does...

As for why I'm concerned? Well I know its from them, but they say right there on the site the file is 232MB. This SBF zip (just the SBF, not including the drivers) is 243MB... thats the only reason I'm concerned. Now if someone who downloaded the files straight from the rootzwiki site before it got pulled down can check the size of the SBF zip I will feel much better.

I downloaded the 232MB zip file, but what is this SBF_flash file you refer to used for, and where (specifically) can I get it if needed. I went ot rootzwiki but see on reference to that file.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Actually I should remove that line or at least update it so no one else gets worried. I'll do it here while I'm at it:

The sbf_flash file is only necessary if you're running Linux. Windows users do not require it, they only need the full 232MB sbf, RSD and the drivers.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Nah I don't think it means that file, I think it means the actual 232MB file.

If you read the first set of instructions for Linux it specifically mentions the VRZ_MB810_1.13.6.2_1FF_01.sbf AND sbf_flash. The windows instructions only mention a zipped SBF file, the sbf_flash is just a separate download on its own thats not zipped.

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
When I did it, I added it and it worked for me but I guess I didn't need to. Oh well though, at least it worked. Glad I didn't screw something up by doing it.

ardoreal

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
Perhaps.

I wonder how this works out legally as far as everyone has a copy of the zipped up file, then they go after multiupload trying to make them take the file down, and people just repeatedly put it up as different names etc. Think those uploading it post-multiupload take down can get in trouble?

Ahhh screw it, Motorola's lawyers can piss off. They can try to sue me for noncommercially distributing a file that needs no EULA in order to possess. They shouldn't have leaked it.

An attorney would have an extremely easy time arguing for me that the fact this software package requires reverse engineering/hacking in order to get it to "put" its copyrighted material on a non-licensed device means that distributing it as-is would in fact be a favor to Motorola. The reason? Possession of the device itself gives you more capability to distribute the copyrighted material thanks to the easy methods by which the phone is rooted and access to the system data is given. This, being opposed to the infiltration of the sbf file to obtain it. By giving the phone away makes you more liable to copyright violation than giving this software away.

That and my attorney could convince a court that gravity doesn't exist. Not to mention, I think VZW would be extremely pissed off if a handset manufacturer ruined their 8th largest corporate account for them. I'm going to do whatever I damn well please with this sbf file. I'll host it from my own server, whoever wants it, lemme know! :) I have, in my possession, the file in question and I am freely giving it to whomever asks. Let this be record that I willfully do this without regard for Moto's C&D letters that they may send in the future.

Last edited:

Flawson

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
God, moto is blowing it. What a great piece of hardware, but they do not seem to understand android at all. Plus THEIR software is pretty bad, anyway, and they filled said great hardware to the brim with it. How appallingly out of step with the general android user base. I know that not everyone wants to hack their phone to hell, but has verizon and moto considered that people like myself (not even a big hacker) could just as easily get an iphone, if I want a locked down, force updated "easy to use" device?

I went android because I wanted the OPTION to tinker. Not even to get over on the carrier and crap really (i really don't have much use for wireless tether, it was just neat to see it work and I didn't want to upgrade my plan just for that), but rather I want to just bloody make my phone run what I want and the way I want.

If they wanted to make an iphone, they failed misrably. This thing was a mess until I started customizing it and had none of the grace or intuitiveness.

They'd better think about what they really want to do, because there are a lot of perfectly good android phones out there that have paths to return to stock for those that want to experiment. Turning their back on the android community doesn't seem like the way to compete with the other android manufacturers.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Even before I rooted and installed the 2.2 leak, my 2.1 X was by far and away, the best phone I've ever owned. Unless you want to try for the CEO job at Motorola, I don't think anything is going to change regarding the way they make their devices. Short of functioning as a jet pack, I don't see where you're being limited by Moto. You can root the X (both in the OTA or the leaked 2.2) and tinker all you want right now. If you really need to seriously hack your phone, you could always try a different model. There's a bunch of great phones out there.

steele38

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Ahhh screw it, Motorola's lawyers can piss off. They can try to sue me for noncommercially distributing a file that needs no EULA in order to possess. They shouldn't have leaked it.

An attorney would have an extremely easy time arguing for me that the fact this software package requires reverse engineering/hacking in order to get it to "put" its copyrighted material on a non-licensed device means that distributing it as-is would in fact be a favor to Motorola. The reason? Possession of the device itself gives you more capability to distribute the copyrighted material thanks to the easy methods by which the phone is rooted and access to the system data is given. This, being opposed to the infiltration of the sbf file to obtain it. By giving the phone away makes you more liable to copyright violation than giving this software away.

That and my attorney could convince a court that gravity doesn't exist. Not to mention, I think VZW would be extremely pissed off if a handset manufacturer ruined their 8th largest corporate account for them. I'm going to do whatever I damn well please with this sbf file. I'll host it from my own server, whoever wants it, lemme know! :) I have, in my possession, the file in question and I am freely giving it to whomever asks. Let this be record that I willfully do this without regard for Moto's C&D letters that they may send in the future.

do u think u could pm me the file please?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87