Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default [HOW-TO] Manually deodex your phone.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WHATEVER HAPPENS TO YOUR PHONE!

You must be rooted!

This is a guide on manually deodexing, you phone. (Duh!)

The reason I am making this tutorial is because I could not get my theme to work with Teenfaces deodexed android. You may want to follows this if you have the same probalem as me, or if you just want to take a shot at doing it.

What you'll need:
    A Windows based machine
    xUltimate v2.2
    Patience

Process:

1. Unzip xUltimate v2.2, and launch "Main.exe"
    2. If everything goes well you xUlt should recognize the phone and make a connection. You now should see a list of options.
    3. Run option 1. After option 1 is done, run option 2.
    Now these well take a while.
    4. Run option 3.
    5. IMPORTANT: After you have run option 3, you MUST navigate to the xUltimate folder and find "origi_frame" folder, and delete "guava.odex". It's a bad file, and interferes with deodexing process.
    6. Now run option 4, and wait.
    7. Exit xUltimate, and put the phone in USB mass storage.
    8. Go back into the xUltimate folder and copy "done_frame", and "done_app", and move them to the root of the sdcard.
    9. Open a command prompt, and do the following:

Code:
    adb shell
    su
    stop
    mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
    cp /sdcard/done_app/* /system/app/
    cp /sdcard/done_frame/* /system/framework/
    rm /system/app/*.odex
    rm /system/framework/*.odex
    mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
    reboot
    Your phone should now be deodexed!

You may notice an increase in speed, and you now have the ability to edit certain files for effectively. (i.e. services.jar)

Credits:
    Rainabba and Mike919: For initially working with me to get a white clock, and later deodex.
    toxman: For testing, and being a huge risk taker.
    teenfaces: For letting me use his services.jar
    And especially Xeudoxus: For letting me a guinea pig, for xUltimate, and answering my questions. And also for the making the xUltimate tool. It defiantly makes thing easier.
    Want a certain type of theme for you phone? I'll theme any phone, all I need is a dump of /system. Just leave a visitor message on my profile, if you have a request.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,610 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

I believe the leaked 2.2 we have has all ready been deoxeded. At least when I open the root explorer I see it. Could be wrong.

Global Posts
    407 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP, Stock

What is "deoxeded?"
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    I believe the leaked 2.2 we have has all ready been deoxeded. At least when I open the root explorer I see it. Could be wrong.
    No. The leaked 2.2 build is not already deodexed.
    Want a certain type of theme for you phone? I'll theme any phone, all I need is a dump of /system. Just leave a visitor message on my profile, if you have a request.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,610 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Default Re: [HOW-TO] Manually deodex your phone.

Then why is there some files marked as such.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    Then why is there some files marked as such.

If it was already deodexed, you wouldn't see any files with .odex at the end.....

Quote Originally Posted by EvoRocker View Post
    What is "deoxeded?"
    I second this. I'm still somewhat of an Android newb.

I'm not a noob and I still don't know what it means...

Quote Originally Posted by Rudolphe View Post
    I'm not a noob and I still don't know what it means...
    K I don't feel so bad then lol.

I'm with these guys... say wa?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

Apk files have respective odexes that developers use to supposedly save space. Deodexing means you convert it back to a .dex file and put it back inside the apk. This allows you to easily replace files not having to worry about odexes. (From user Berzerker on droidforums.net) So a deodexed ROM is much easier to customize and add new themes to.
    BlackBerry 8330 --> BlackBerry Storm1 --> Motorola Droid --> HTC Droid Incredible & Motorola Droid X & Motorola Xoom
    Thanked by 2:

if we have themes installed on deodexed 2.2 how will that work with birdmans optimized rom thats due soon? can we just install the update.zip from clockwork? sorry for the noob question the dx is my first android phone and everything new that comes out for me is a first
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

It sounds like Birdman's 2.2 build is a full update.zip so it shouldn't matter what themes you have.
    BlackBerry 8330 --> BlackBerry Storm1 --> Motorola Droid --> HTC Droid Incredible & Motorola Droid X & Motorola Xoom

For the command prompt stuff, can I just use a terminal emulator? Or do I have to use adb?
    After almost 2 years with a 9530, upgraded to Droid X. Haven't looked back...
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,610 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

birdman has a slot now in rom manager. has to be soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by avlfive View Post
    It sounds like Birdman's 2.2 build is a full update.zip so it shouldn't matter what themes you have.
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...

Quote Originally Posted by avlfive View Post
    Apk files have respective odexes that developers use to supposedly save space. Deodexing means you convert it back to a .dex file and put it back inside the apk. This allows you to easily replace files not having to worry about odexes. (From user Berzerker on droidforums.net) So a deodexed ROM is much easier to customize and add new themes to.
    Excellent! Thank you!
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,610 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

after many tries and crashes im all good..

Talking Dex knows

DEX FILES - dex - These are the Dalvik Executables for the android platform. Think of .exe in Windows.

APK - Collection of dex files that make up the final application.->classes.dex

ODEX FILES - Optimized DEX - These are essentially a COPY of the apk file, optimized and stored beside the apk. Takes up RAM on the system.

DE-ODEXED - The removal of all odex files from the system - This means that an optimized copy of the apk is now sent to the DALVIK CACHE instead of being stored along side the apk directly on the system.

This is why the start up on a new flashed deodexed rom can take a while to load, but the next time you boot up it is fast as lightning.

I'm fairly sure I grasp the concept, but any additions or corrections are welcome!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName Android 1.5.5

a dumb question, perhaps, but would you be able to use root explorer and simply remove the odex files from system/framework and system/app and achieve the same effect without the long process?

Quote Originally Posted by terpitude71 View Post
    a dumb question, perhaps, but would you be able to use root explorer and simply remove the odex files from system/framework and system/app and achieve the same effect without the long process?
    You would need a deodexed ROM, as the odex files will be automatically re-created.

Will this work on a Samsung Captivate with the leaked JI6?

Default i'm getting an error

when i deodex i'm getting an error with photo editor on atrix. it'll have a black screen red font with a bunch of text, says press any key. i will. it'll say "major error" or something to that effect. then it'll say press any key then it tells me to fix it and kicks me out. how do i make it work? i know it's the photo editor.

ok thank you dear