[HOW-TO] Undervolt your way to 18+ hours per charge. (And overclock too!) 2.1 ONLY

El Poblano

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Nope I'm running 2.1, I'm confused as to what I did wrong. I just got my phone yesterday, I wonder if that has anything to do with it? Are there different versions of 2.1?

So the error means that the overclock script isn't interacting with the module correctly, or that the module isn't loaded (I believe). This could be a result of the permissions being set wrong, but I won't have an opportunity to check just yet. You might want to try replacing the the overclock.ko in the /system/lib/modules/ and the overclock.sh in the /system/bin/. Give that a whack and let everyone know if it changes. Also, has anyone else seen this?

thisisbenji

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I recopied all of the files and it works now.

One other question, after setting the scaling and opening SetCPU do I change anything in SetCPU?

orion11

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I only did the scaling part because Im just looking to improve my battery life. I followed all the steps (besides the oc. ones), put the files in the right places, with the right permissions, the insmod.. & scaling comands ran fine. Here is the part i dont understand.. in my scaling i set the points at 300, 500, 800, and 1000 Mhz. but when i open SetCPU, the points it lets me choose from are 300 600, etc.. shouldnt the 600 be a 500???
whats wrong here? what didnt happen right? i feel like for some reason my phone isnt really UV. is there some easy way to check that it really is UV correctly?

El Poblano

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I only did the scaling part because Im just looking to improve my battery life. I followed all the steps (besides the oc. ones), put the files in the right places, with the right permissions, the insmod.. & scaling comands ran fine. Here is the part i dont understand.. in my scaling i set the points at 300, 500, 800, and 1000 Mhz. but when i open SetCPU, the points it lets me choose from are 300 600, etc.. shouldnt the 600 be a 500???
whats wrong here? what didnt happen right? i feel like for some reason my phone isnt really UV. is there some easy way to check that it really is UV correctly?

You can check the points (clock speed and voltage) that are currently set by running the command cat /proc/overclock/mpu_opps. Remember that you have to run the command setscaling.sh after editing the file to set the desired points. If you continue to have problems, please post the read out from the above command, as well as your setscaling.sh file.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I just want to add my findings with this, as I just today flashed back to 2.1 and am going to sit on this for awhile and see how I like it.

First impressions:

1.1ghz @ 34vsel. Seem stable enough. Managed to browse the web, run multiple Linpack and Quadrants (btw, 8.8 Lin, 1370 Quadrant) and no crashes or restarts yet.

Can't really comment on battery life as its been plugged in most of the time, but if its half the voltage, then battery life should be much improved. Will update in a couple days after I gather more intel.

UnicyclistRobe

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I just want to add my findings with this, as I just today flashed back to 2.1 and am going to sit on this for awhile and see how I like it.

First impressions:

1.1ghz @ 34vsel. Seem stable enough. Managed to browse the web, run multiple Linpack and Quadrants (btw, 8.8 Lin, 1370 Quadrant) and no crashes or restarts yet.

Can't really comment on battery life as its been plugged in most of the time, but if its half the voltage, then battery life should be much improved. Will update in a couple days after I gather more intel.

Thanks. I look forward to your results.

anon(40787)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: [HOW-TO] Undervolt your way to 18+ hours per charge...

I was wondering, when motorola finally updates my phone to 2.1 will this work on the cliq?

-----
Sent From My Motorola Cliq - Via Tapatalk

orion11

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
what does it mean if i get this readout when i try to run:

#insmod /system/lib/modules/overclock.ko
insmod: init_module '/system/lib/modules/overclock.ko' failed (File exists)

does that just mean that overclock.ko is already running?

El Poblano

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
what does it mean if i get this readout when i try to run:

#insmod /system/lib/modules/overclock.ko
insmod: init_module '/system/lib/modules/overclock.ko' failed (File exists)

does that just mean that overclock.ko is already running?

Yes sir. If you already loaded the module and want to change the clock speed or voltage, you only have to use the setclock.sh <clockspeed> <voltage> command. The module is loaded either by the command you just typed or overclock.sh

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Well sadly I reverted back to stock 1Ghz @ 66vsel. It seemed stable, but I was seeing strange occurrences, like wake phone up and check cpu usage, and it'd be at like 60-80% cpu usage for past 15 minutes, for no explicable reason. As soon as I removed the overclock mod, cpu usage settled back down to where it should be, 0.05-0.25 average for past 15 minutes (I'm pulling these numbers from SetCPU)

Also, I saw some strange performance issues, especially in PSX4Droid. I tried doing both a 1Ghz @ 34vsel and 1.1Ghz @ 34 and both had serious performance problems. FF7, while smooth and playable at stock, was choppy and horrible both overclocked and undervolted with stock speed.

So unfortunately I had to revert to good old 1Ghz @ 66 for now :( I may even jump back on Froyo since overclock/undervolt was the only thing I needed 2.1 for.

One thing I will say though, is battery life was substantially better. I get the feeling the system was reverting to 300mhz ONLY and thats why. I think personally, from my 24 hour experience with OC'ing phones, I will be leaving this until it becomes a bit more precise and worthwhile. Was fun to do though, and since undervolting means whatever you do, its pretty much impossible to permanently damage hardware so its not very risky. Only risk is involved when you start to overvolt things.

El Poblano

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Well sadly I reverted back to stock 1Ghz @ 66vsel. It seemed stable, but I was seeing strange occurrences, like wake phone up and check cpu usage, and it'd be at like 60-80% cpu usage for past 15 minutes, for no explicable reason. As soon as I removed the overclock mod, cpu usage settled back down to where it should be, 0.05-0.25 average for past 15 minutes (I'm pulling these numbers from SetCPU)

Also, I saw some strange performance issues, especially in PSX4Droid. I tried doing both a 1Ghz @ 34vsel and 1.1Ghz @ 34 and both had serious performance problems. FF7, while smooth and playable at stock, was choppy and horrible both overclocked and undervolted with stock speed.

So unfortunately I had to revert to good old 1Ghz @ 66 for now :( I may even jump back on Froyo since overclock/undervolt was the only thing I needed 2.1 for.

One thing I will say though, is battery life was substantially better. I get the feeling the system was reverting to 300mhz ONLY and thats why. I think personally, from my 24 hour experience with OC'ing phones, I will be leaving this until it becomes a bit more precise and worthwhile. Was fun to do though, and since undervolting means whatever you do, its pretty much impossible to permanently damage hardware so its not very risky. Only risk is involved when you start to overvolt things.

Sorry you had such a bad experience! All hope might not be lost just yet, however. On the other forum, many people reported their phone going into 'turtle mode' when certain clock speeds or voltages were applied. It appeared to be random, as nobody had the same result even with the same settings. I personally couldn't get my phone to go over 1.15 ghz without a similar response. You might want to try a different combination before giving up on it. Though I can't blame you for being disappointed with the stability.

Last edited:

orion11

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
just out of curiosity, do we know what the stock scaling is like? is it 300,600,800,1000 mhz all at 66vsel?
also, lets say i dont ever put setscaling.sh in the bin or execute it, but i follow all the other steps... when i type 1100000 34 into setclock.sh, will only that clock speed be running at 34vsel then will 300,600,800 still run at 66vsel and only 1100mhz runs at 34vsel, or does everything run at 34 after that.

sry if these are nooby questions or something.. im just trying to get a better understanding about the finer detail of how this is working and exactly what parts are telling my phone to do what.

anon(40324)

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I will admit, after going to leaked 2.2 and FlyX, etc., this is something that is still very appealing. I'm curious as to what the difference is in 2.2 that disallows this method from being used? Not that I'm planning on bastardizing it to 2.2 myself, I'm just curious as to why it's not yet available for 2.2. (No pressure, really, just curiosity :) )

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Its the new kernel that won't allow it the module has to be built against the 2.2 kernel don't think it has been done yet

El Poblano

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
just out of curiosity, do we know what the stock scaling is like? is it 300,600,800,1000 mhz all at 66vsel?
also, lets say i dont ever put setscaling.sh in the bin or execute it, but i follow all the other steps... when i type 1100000 34 into setclock.sh, will only that clock speed be running at 34vsel then will 300,600,800 still run at 66vsel and only 1100mhz runs at 34vsel, or does everything run at 34 after that.

sry if these are nooby questions or something.. im just trying to get a better understanding about the finer detail of how this is working and exactly what parts are telling my phone to do what.

As for the stock voltages in setCPU, I really couldn't say. I'm not sure theres any way of verification, as SetCPU doesn't address voltage at all. However, I can answer the other part. Setclock.sh and overclock.sh only adjust the first opp, so the others will remain stock, i.e. if you use setclock.sh or overclock.sh and set it at 1100000 and 34, the other opps will remain at stock, whatever stock is. It wont change the voltage for the other points.

alosenster

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Yes sir. If you already loaded the module and want to change the clock speed or voltage, you only have to use the setclock.sh <clockspeed> <voltage> command. The module is loaded either by the command you just typed or overclock.sh

I was wondering this as well. My phone rebooted, and the first time I tried to run the insmod... overclock. ko command, I got that same result. I was under the impression that this didn't run on boot.