Next Phone After X

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I've really wanted an HTC Android phone for a while. We were originally coming to VZW to pick up the Incredible. But shipping dates kept getting delayed, and when they made the AMOLED to LCD switch, I decided if I'm using LCD I may as well get the bigger screen and the phone with better guts.

After learning more, watching the Android news sites and reading the forums, I have decided my next phone will be an HTC. They are better looking, I like the Sense UI far better than any of the Blurs, and the dev/modder support is better.

CyanogenMod just announced 6.0 on about 10 new phones, all were HTC except for the old DROID. Even the HTC Aria got Cyanogen while Motorola is doing everything they can to keep their phones locked to their marginal firmware. I didn't think it would bother me when I got the phone, but now it does.

So, HTC, I will be hitting you up next time.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Motorola can try all they want. But we will get customs roms. Like sapphire and cyanogen birdman and others. It less time to root the X then the Dinc. Its not just Motorola locking down but others will to. I prefer the materials and build quilty on motorolla then I do on the HTC line.

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
So even if Moto, or Sony, or anyone really, comes out with the worlds best super duper smartphone (running Android of course) next July your going to get an HTC device?

My point is that it's entirely to early to be looking at what your next phone after your DX is going to be.

derpudel

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I agree with Moosc on this one. I had the HTC Eris before getting my X, and altho it was a nice device, the overall quality is MUCH better on the X. As for the Sense, I got tired of it/bored with it.

HTC phones are nice looking...but other than that, they aren't better. If we could get rid of the Blurs, and have Cyanogen 6.0, the X would be far superior (at least at the moment...until the next great phone drops).

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Their will be custom roms but their wont be any updates unless leaked. Like you wont see cm 7 until Motorola decides to update this phone to gingerbread or the gingerbread update is leaked. All due to not being able to change the kernel I hope they find a way around it but I don't know

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
And the problem at the time is the carriers and manufacturer is trying to push out the next super phone. And phone used to have a life span of two years today where lucky to if we make it 3-6months before the next hit phone is out.

derpudel

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I made that point in another thread, about EOL swooping in almost before you've become comfy with your new device! That said, I do feel I can be happy with this X for quite some time. I don't expect LTE to be in my area for a long time (think rural, out in the middle of nowhere), so getting a device that fits that wouldn't benefit me unless I travel to a large city where it is already implemented.
Heck, I've only had Verizon in my neck of the woods for about 10 mos. now...my carrier was Altell, until last Oct.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
i'll probably pick up a wp7 device on one of my other lines to try them out. here's hoping verizon can pick up some decent launch phones for it...

i'm excited about the gaming on them, as android has been lacking on that front since its inception. i'm really hoping gingerbread offers something compelling in that sense.

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I agree with a lot of what's been said. Especially the build quality. I have not had a plastic cased phone since I had the RAZR way back when.

It's just frustrating that so much more modding is available for the HTC phones than the Motorola because HTC isn't working against guys like birdman and Cyanogen to the degree that Moto does. I mean the Aria has CMod6. A mid-level device got it along with a whole boat-load of other devices because, I assume, it was easy to port over not necessarily because demand for it was high.

I'd like to see Moto take a chill pill and let someone else help them make their phones really shine.

derpudel

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Yet, in spite of the lockdown on the bootloader, I am pleased with the X, overall. I did give some thought to returning it before the 30 days was up, in favor of another device with Verizon that wasn't so restricted...but after using it, and reading other reviews on other phones, decided to stick with the X, and trusting in the devs to come up with ways around the lockdown. As I stated in another post...when the OTA 2.2 does get pushed out, I may not accept it, until I let it all shake out and see what really has been done to prevent root, etc.