Straight-forward step-by-step upgrade to 2.2

dbornack

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Pardon my ignorance.. but I have yet to find a simple step-by-step guide as to how to install a leaked version of Froyo on a Droid X, or a Custom ROM based on Froyo.

I have the neccessary stuff I believe.

- Rom Manager (including ClockworkMod)
- Phoxus Gift (.sbf file is in this .zip file)
- I'm rooted

What are the steps? Seems like there shuld be a simple 5 step guide out there, but I've been searching for a few days and can't find anything.

Again, sorry if it's obvious to everyone else, but I'm new to Droid (BB user for 6 years, and BB Leaked installs are dead-simple)

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
to install froyo, it's as simple as finding the update.zip and flashing it over.

(reboot into recovery and flash the update.zip)

to load a custom 2.2 rom, you need to be running 2.2 first, then using rom manager, download and install the rom of your choice. make sure to do a nandriod backup first.

DThomp

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
+1 to rom manager its preloaded. Tap rom manager in your drawer, when it comes up on screen tap the first (top) selection, then when the popup comes up tap droid x. When that is done go down to download rims, select 2.2, then wipe data and clear cache then go. Give it a few minutes and you will have froyo.

Sent from my DROIDX

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
As I understand it, you have to pay for Rom Manager. Here's what I did:
-Put update.zip on the root of your SD card. Some versions of windows will hide extensions, so make sure it isn't update.zip.zip.

If you are rooted and want to KEEP root (as opposed to re-rooting) use
Root Explorer (paid app) to move "su" from /bin to /xbin

-Turn off your phone.
-Hold the home button
-Keep holding Home, and hold power until the Moto logo comes on. You can
release power, but keep holding home.
-Use Volume down to get to the update.zip option
-Press Camera button.
-Wait until Thursday 9/16 morning to do this. If you have to reactivate for any reason, VZ is doing system maintenance right now and it won't work. Trust me. :(

quetzalcoatl

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
As I understand it, you have to pay for Rom Manager. Here's what I did:
-Put update.zip on the root of your SD card. Some versions of windows will hide extensions, so make sure it isn't update.zip.zip.

If you are rooted and want to KEEP root (as opposed to re-rooting) use
Root Explorer (paid app) to move "su" from /bin to /xbin

-Turn off your phone.
-Hold the home button
-Keep holding Home, and hold power until the Moto logo comes on. You can
release power, but keep holding home.
-Use Volume down to get to the update.zip option
-Press Camera button.
-Wait until Thursday 9/16 morning to do this. If you have to reactivate for any reason, VZ is doing system maintenance right now and it won't work. Trust me. :(

There is a paid version but also a free version. And the free one has it. The only thing that needs to be paid for is the bootstrap. And doing it in rom manager does not require you to move anything. It is the easiest way to go from a rooted 2.1 to 2.2.

Bald Steve

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
+1 to rom manager its preloaded. Tap rom manager in your drawer, when it comes up on screen tap the first (top) selection, then when the popup comes up tap droid x. When that is done go down to download rims, select 2.2, then wipe data and clear cache then go. Give it a few minutes and you will have froyo.

Sent from my DROIDX

n00b-but-learning-dude here - I've got ROM manager premium, just ran a clockworkMOD back up (confirmed it's presence on the SD - check), and did the backup all apps + data in Titanium. Am I cool to do this? I'm worried about wiping the phone is all. I had read elsewhere that once you install Froyo 2.2 all you have to do is go back into Titanium, hit restore all apps + data and you're good. Can someone confirm for me?

And thanks for posting the help.

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
When using Titanium Backup, only restore missing apps and data. If you restore all apps and data, it'll replace 2.2 data with 2.1's data and some apps will be buggy for you, such as the sync icon never going away.

Bald Steve

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
When using Titanium Backup, only restore missing apps and data. If you restore all apps and data, it'll replace 2.2 data with 2.1's data and some apps will be buggy for you, such as the sync icon never going away.

Sounds good - Thanks! I'll let the forum know how it goes.

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Sounds good - Thanks! I'll let the forum know how it goes.

No problem, and to be honest, me, being paranoid as I am about bugs and stuff, I just installed the apps and went in and reloaded all my app settings manually. But that's just me, I'm sure installing just the downloaded applications and data would work fine.

Bald Steve

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
No problem, and to be honest, me, being paranoid as I am about bugs and stuff, I just installed the apps and went in and reloaded all my app settings manually. But that's just me, I'm sure installing just the downloaded applications and data would work fine.

Ha - I'm paranoid like that as well. The idea of wiping the thing? Yikes - I seriously had the "DOWNLOAD FROYO 2.2?" screen open for about an hour before pulling the trigger. It is in Clockwork installing right now. Hopefully this will be smooth...

Update: and it was. Yeah! Thanks again for the help - much appreciated!

CAP201009161723.jpg

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

THAT'S what I did wrong! Arg.
::facepalm::

Sent from my Droid X using Tapatalk

Verapakill

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I am in the same boat as dbornack I have those apps but im not the sharpest tool in the barn I need a well laid out map to help me do what I want.

And you were right BB leaks were super easy to install

LVracerGT

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Can someone tell me what I am missing? I rooted my droid x about an hour ago. Downloaded rom manager (free version) did the clockwork mod. Went to download roms and selected 2.2. After it got done downloading I checked both boxes and and hit ok to boot into recovery and install but it just resets right away and says that recovery mode is "broken" and rom manager doesn't reboot. I'm pretty new to android and would also like a step by step on how to install 2.2 it's annoying having to search multiple forums to figure out what I need to do everything properly.

EDIT: Found another forum that told me I needed boostrapper. Got it. Got froyo installed. Now, do I have to go and manually re-download all my apps if I did not back them up before I installed froyo? Or is there still a way to restore them?

Last edited:

LVracerGT

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Market was no help. Had to go through and find all of them again manually. Found out about Titanium Backup so I have a backup created now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo