[How To] Root Your Droid X [Official 2.2 OTA]

bigdog777

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Problem rooting Droidx Froyo

New to the rooting world but down loaded a 1 click root app droidxroot.zip but it fails when it try to push the exploid file. I tried to do manually and it said the directory is a read only. All the other products have viruses. Help

radar320

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I have a droid X and am running the leaked version of Android 2.3.3. I want to be able to receive the official update. Do I need to go back to Android 2.2 and if so, how do I do that? Any help would be appreciated.

GlueFactoryBJJ

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
@Radar320 - You have to install the .340 SBF file, do a factory data reset (sometimes from the recovery screen you will also have to clear the caches to stop the boot loops) and then wait up to 24-48 hours for VZW to "see" you have the official 2.2 and then it will push the upgrade to you.

The problem with the OTA is that there is currently no way to root it. That doesn't mean you can't get a rooted version of it, you can. However, you have to download the rooted version that P3Droid has created and go through the steps to install it.

The ONLY way to get a rooted OTA right now is from the official 2.2, then install P3Droid's rooted version OR a leaked version of 2.3.3 (i.e. the various version through .595, but NOT the OTA .596) and install the different files to get to the same rooted OTA.

I don't understand why you can get a rooted version of the OTA, but there is no way to ROOT the OTA once you have it installed. I guess it's beyond my little brain to understand... :(

Uh, yeah, I'm frustrated... mostly with Moto for the locked bootloader and all the other "crud" they do that makes it difficult to root the Moto Android phones like the DX. Ok, I DO realize it is probably more VZW than Moto, but it's still frustrating.

If I can find a dual core, ~1GB RAM, 4.3"+ qHD screen with front/rear cameras AND LTE AND the promise of an unlocked bootloader, I'm DONE with Moto!

I have CM7 (2.3.3 or 2.3.4, I forget) running on my Nook Color and it is SWEET! I'm getting Quadrant scores just a hair under my DX on 2.3.3 OTA (~1750-1800 on the NC vs 1850-1900 on the DX). OK, I'm running the NC at 925MHz, but that is less than the 1GHz of the DX.

OK, I'm going to get off my soapbox now.

Just make sure you can live without root on your DX because you can't root the 2.3.3 OTA as of this time today and I can't find anyone who has an idea WHEN we might see a user root.

Scott

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
@Radar320 - You have to install the .340 SBF file, do a factory data reset (sometimes from the recovery screen you will also have to clear the caches to stop the boot loops) and then wait up to 24-48 hours for VZW to "see" you have the official 2.2 and then it will push the upgrade to you.

Just an FYI: I was able to SBF back to Froyo and pull the update immediately. I didn't need to wait 24 hours for it to be pushed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12