- 268 Posts
Like Icarus before me, I lost my patience and flew to close to the sun - BRICKED.
So, I'm bricked and am wondering is anyone here can help or post a link to help. Here's exactly what went down:
1. I was running rooted, Froyo leak 2.3.9, FlyX and black status bar on top.
2. I wanted to update, so I downloaded the 2.3.15 deodexed from TBH app, followed instructions (change name to update.zip, move to root of sd in root explorer, then tap bootstrap recovery, reboot into recovery, go to system and mounts, format system, mount, apply update.zip, reboot) and updated without a hitch. Pow - Success.
3. Then I saw the thread for Rubix ROM...I had to try it. Same thing - Downloaded ZIP file and did the same as with the TBH Froyo and got the same result. Installed and flying. However, my calendar wasn't working and I really needed it to work...SO...
4. I decided to try the ZapX ROM, but instead of being smart and just doing what I did above, I saw it in ROM Manager and tried to do it that way (running a backup as I did). No go. Stuck on M logo. I did a battery pull and for some reason the phone booted into a factory reset state, yet had Superuser icon in the app drawer. I went to the APP Market, downloaded Bootstrapper and ROM Manager so I could just go back to my last save. Opened in recovery, tried to run my last back up and bang - Bricked. Endless M Boot.
5. I took it to the local VZW store and they ordered me a new one (here by Tuesday), but I want to see if I can get this one fixed just for the experience of doing it. They tried a hard reset (power up with Home button pressed, then when you see the android guy and exclamation warning you hit the back button then search button and you go into a sort of clockwork mode with only four options) and no dice.
6. I held down camera button, volume and power and can at least get into bootloader mode, but what should I do then?
Could anyone please point me towards a solution? Any ideas would be massively appreciated. THANKS!!!!
- 10-10-2010, 07:58 AM #2
I am sort of a noob at this, but I believe the TBH 2.3.15 version is the same version of Froyo as the VZW OTA but without the locked down boot loader. You should be able to SPF back to 2.1 and start over. Your phone is already bricked so I don't thinks it can hurt.
- 10-10-2010, 11:37 AM #3
- 10-10-2010, 11:38 AM #4
- 10-10-2010, 11:41 AM #5
- 10-10-2010, 09:47 PM #6
- 10-10-2010, 10:57 PM #7
- 10-10-2010, 11:07 PM #8
- 10-10-2010, 11:07 PM #9
- 10-10-2010, 11:15 PM #10
- 268 Posts
UPDATE: Success. I followed the concise instructions on the sticky thread and it was no problem. My phone is back. Of course, now I have to re-install the leaked Froyo 2.3.9, then step up to 2.3.15, but hey - beats a brick. Plus, now I have all this stuff set to go and know exactly how to fix it if I eff it up again. This forum and its members rule.
- 10-11-2010, 07:50 AM #12
- 10-11-2010, 08:43 AM #13
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ******
This is not a full sbf file, it will not cure the worlds ailments. It will recovery your system to the stock 2.3.13 odexed state. If you mess up something other than the system partition this will not fix your problem. But if your only trying to theme or delete blur this will work if something goes wrong?:confused:
What exactly will the OTA 2.3.15 sbf file from TBH do and not do. In what state will the sbf not unbrick or bring your phone back from something going wrong???
- 10-11-2010, 11:35 AM #14
It will recover your system ONLY if you were upgraded to the OTA, if you were on a leak it will not do anything for you.
and it is only a partial/hybrid SBF, not a FULL sbf like the 2.1 one is
If you have the OTA DO NOT use 2.1 SBF it will brick your phone
If you have any leak and NOT the OTA then use 2.1 which is a FULL SBF
- 10-11-2010, 12:11 PM #15
I am just curious what the functional difference is between a full or system only sbf. Does it work like the 2.1 sbf for the leaked versions. For instance it will functionally do everything the 2.1 spf will do except it won't work at all if you "bricked" the bootloader? I am happy on the 2.2 leaked version and not planning on going to the OTA until a full sbf comes out.
- 10-11-2010, 02:40 PM #16
the full 2.1 sbf upgrades(overwrites) the radio and a bunch of other components that the 2.2 hybrid does not, that one only writes to the system partition..
I'm thinking, you have to do it all (for compatibility reasons) or nothing.
so the 2.2 hybrid is only for the OTA
If someone were to get ahold of the FULL sbf for 2.2 then this wouldn't be an issue..
someone "claimed" to have it in this forum, but never produced anything
- 10-11-2010, 03:11 PM #17