Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Are "custom roms" worth it?

So before 2.2 I had tweaked my X with themes and deleted the pre-loaded stuff on my X. It was quite nice...

After fighting with 2.2 to install I had to wipe everything and I hadn't re-done stuff because there was no 2.2 SBF file at the time. Now there is and I'm thinking of going further and trying out one of the ROMs.

I have a few questions if someone can help me out though...

1) Will a ROM be seen in the Market as a real version of 2.2? I know when the leaks were out and 2.2 first came out there were things that wouldn't show in the market because it didn't see you as valid.

2) The blurless ROMs sound interesting, but how do I know if I'm using any of it in my day to day life? I have Launcher Pro Plus and the widgets I use are program related like Beautiful Widgets and Tweetdeck.

3) Is it worth it? I realize this is subjective and open to opinion, but is there a real benefit like better battery life because there's less stuff running in the background or greatly reduced screen lag?

Thanks for reading, I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

-Bob
    Android Enthusiast

Global Posts
    2,106 Global Posts
    ROM
    SKAnkCM10/Milestone6

Quote Originally Posted by bob the noob View Post
    So before 2.2 I had tweaked my X with themes and deleted the pre-loaded stuff on my X. It was quite nice...

After fighting with 2.2 to install I had to wipe everything and I hadn't re-done stuff because there was no 2.2 SBF file at the time. Now there is and I'm thinking of going further and trying out one of the ROMs.

I have a few questions if someone can help me out though...

1) Will a ROM be seen in the Market as a real version of 2.2? I know when the leaks were out and 2.2 first came out there were things that wouldn't show in the market because it didn't see you as valid.

2) The blurless ROMs sound interesting, but how do I know if I'm using any of it in my day to day life? I have Launcher Pro Plus and the widgets I use are program related like Beautiful Widgets and Tweetdeck.

3) Is it worth it? I realize this is subjective and open to opinion, but is there a real benefit like better battery life because there's less stuff running in the background or greatly reduced screen lag?

Thanks for reading, I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

-Bob
    It's worth it, you get to keep what YOU add (tweet deck, beautiful widgets, etc)to your phone not what They (manufacturers) add to your phone (blur).

I would recommend Fission v1.2 its the best blur-less rom, and I've already tried all of them out and Fission v1.2 was the fastest and the best. I don't recommend overclocking unless 1: Your next to an Iphone user and 2: You want a portable cooking stove.

Global Posts
    407 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP, Stock

Is there a walk through for installing Roms from a non-rooted OTA 2.2?

Quote Originally Posted by DroidEye22 View Post
    I would recommend Fission v1.2 its the best blur-less rom, and I've already tried all of them out and Fission v1.2 was the fastest and the best. I don't recommend overclocking unless 1: Your next to an Iphone user and 2: You want a portable cooking stove.
    ...? Not sure if you're aware, but the current overclock scene also involves undervolting, by which your phone runs cooler and uses less power. Had a bad experience oc'ing, or just throwing opinions willy nilly?
    Fission 1.1t4 X - Rooted Overclocked/Undervolted

Global Posts
    407 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP, Stock

^I want my X to be like yours haha

personally, I underclock. You only need a 1GHz proc when you have a bunch of crapware and blur, but when you effectively use a task killer, delete extra junk and run a blur-less rom (i am currently running Rubix 1.0) its easy for the DX to run quickly at 600-800 MHz. I vary on battery life, 1GHz for 70-100%, 800MHz for 30-70%, 600MHz for under 30%. I plug my phone in after a 18 hr day with around 40% battery life. Haven't tried it yet, but my guess is I can get around 30hrs of battery life, running the DX at 600MHz is amazing on battery life. I've been thinking about buying an extended battery so then I can go a full 2 days on one charge!
    Droiderator

ROM
    Bugless Nexus

I over and underclock. Running 1.2 now but dropped slot 4 to 300,000 and dropped the voltage. Setcpu to have it at 300,000 with screen off has helped my battery and performance.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I would highly recommend Fab's Apex. It removes every app that can be downloaded from the market and most of the blur. Very very fast.
    Droiderator

ROM
    Bugless Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by jreed2560 View Post
    I would highly recommend Fab's Apex. It removes every app that can be downloaded from the market and most of the blur. Very very fast.
    It is a great rom. I just missed my old tex message and alarm clock. I guess I could just add them back into his rom.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Android Enthusiast

Global Posts
    2,106 Global Posts
    ROM
    SKAnkCM10/Milestone6

Quote Originally Posted by jreed2560 View Post
    +1 Apex!
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/moto...xperience.html