Are "custom roms" worth it?
So before 2.2 I had tweaked my X with themes and deleted the pre-loaded stuff on my X. It was quite nice...
After fighting with 2.2 to install I had to wipe everything and I hadn't re-done stuff because there was no 2.2 SBF file at the time. Now there is and I'm thinking of going further and trying out one of the ROMs.
I have a few questions if someone can help me out though...
1) Will a ROM be seen in the Market as a real version of 2.2? I know when the leaks were out and 2.2 first came out there were things that wouldn't show in the market because it didn't see you as valid.
2) The blurless ROMs sound interesting, but how do I know if I'm using any of it in my day to day life? I have Launcher Pro Plus and the widgets I use are program related like Beautiful Widgets and Tweetdeck.
3) Is it worth it? I realize this is subjective and open to opinion, but is there a real benefit like better battery life because there's less stuff running in the background or greatly reduced screen lag?
Thanks for reading, I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
- 10-23-2010, 07:33 AM #2
- 10-25-2010, 11:47 PM #3
- 10-26-2010, 01:02 AM #4
- 10-26-2010, 01:11 AM #5Fission 1.1t4 X - Rooted Overclocked/Undervolted
- 10-26-2010, 01:42 AM #6
- 10-26-2010, 02:49 PM #7
personally, I underclock. You only need a 1GHz proc when you have a bunch of crapware and blur, but when you effectively use a task killer, delete extra junk and run a blur-less rom (i am currently running Rubix 1.0) its easy for the DX to run quickly at 600-800 MHz. I vary on battery life, 1GHz for 70-100%, 800MHz for 30-70%, 600MHz for under 30%. I plug my phone in after a 18 hr day with around 40% battery life. Haven't tried it yet, but my guess is I can get around 30hrs of battery life, running the DX at 600MHz is amazing on battery life. I've been thinking about buying an extended battery so then I can go a full 2 days on one charge!
- 10-26-2010, 04:07 PM #8
- 10-27-2010, 01:45 PM #9
- 10-27-2010, 02:24 PM #10
- 10-27-2010, 11:00 PM #11Android Enthusiast
- 2,105 Posts