Reinstall Social Networking Widgets?

anon(77329)

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
So I let my friend who "knows everything about Droids" play with my Droid X last night. Well I find out this morning he rooted it, which I wanted, and installed Titanium Backup and deleted the following.

Social Status 2.2
Social Sharing 2.2
Social Networking 2.2
Social Messaging Service 2.2
Social Messaging 2.2

He did a backup of these but now he can't figure out how to get the back on the phone. I want to at least play around with these before I decide if I don't want them. I've tried a factory reset with no luck and I figured it would do anything. I'm assuming I need to reload the whole OS, but where can I find the file to do this?

I really appreciate the help as I've been searching all morning trying to figure this out. I've come from a BB Storm 2 and have done almost every mod to that but this Droid X is a completely different ball game.

jdivers03

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Did your friend create a nandroid backup before deleting those apk's? If so, you should be able to flash back to the backup using clockwork recovery.

jdivers03

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Trying going into Titanium Backup, Go into Batch, and see if choosing RUN Restore Missing Apps with Data helps you at all. If he deleted additional apps that you don't want to restore, you can select/deselect certain apps before running the Batch operation.

anon(77329)

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Ok I just did that and I found out he deleted a lot more than I thought. But it restored everything but the social widgets I listed above, VZ Nav, and Skype.

jdivers03

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible he "froze" them instead of deleting them? That's an option with the paid version of Titanium Backup. Click on "Backup/Restore" and see if those apps are listed in blue on that screen. If they are, you can click on it and choose "Defrost" to restore it.

If they're not there, it sounds like he may have deleted these files without backing them up. If that's the case, you can try to get the necessary APK's at this link, although I'm not sure if they'll all be there:

http://www.chadhaney.com/droidXDefault/

EDIT: I'm providing that URL assuming you're using the 2.2 OTA upgrade.

anon(77329)

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
No they aren't listed in blue. They are white with a line through them. So I'm assuming he actually deleted them.

I found a backup of them on my SD card but can't seem to figure out how to get them back on the phone.

I looked at that link and didn't see the files I need, but thanks for trying. Also, I appreciate the help you've given me so far. I think I'm running the 2.2 OTA upgrade but I got it from Verizon and they said it was already updated.

jdivers03

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
If they're white with a line through them, you MAY be able to select them, then the "Restore" button. The word Restore would be in blue, below the Backup! button.

jdivers03

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm afraid we've exhausted my limited expertise here. You always have the option to use the SBF, which will get your phone completely back to stock. You'd regain these widgets, but you'd lose all of your data and apps. Maybe someone else will be able to offer some insight.

anon(77329)

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Is there a thread with a step by step on how to to do that with a like to the files I wil need? I don't mind starting from scratch as I don't have a whole lot loaded on the phone yet.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Since your rooted:

Go here to download a zip file with all of the DroidX files that someone had backed up: Droid X System Dump for those who deleted apps without backing up

Unzip the file and copy over the APK files you need to the SD card on your phone.

From the adb shell issue the following commands without typing the # (make sure you are at a # prompt and not a $ prompt, the # prompt is root):

# su
# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
# cd /system/app
# cp /sdcard/filename.apk ./filename.apk
# busybox chmod u+rw-x,g+r-wx,o+r-wx /system/app/filename.apk
# mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
# reboot

Your applications should now work.

If you do not know how to use the adb shell, then head on over to here on how to set it up. Easier 1-2-3 Droid 2 Root for Windows / Linux / Mac - xda-developers

EDIT: Made a change to the 6th command: mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

Last edited:

anon(77329)

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for posting that but I actually just got done reinstalling the whole sdk and now everything is back and restored to factory.

Thanks for all the help guys. This forum is definitely a saver. I never knew you could do so much with this phone. When I bought it I didn't even know what rooting was till my friend decided to do it for me.