1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question has anyone tried Visionary?

Has anyone tried Visionary?
    Its a one-click app to root your device and its suppose to work on the X too.

Its in the market
    Last edited by jeff1974w; 11-06-2010 at 08:02 PM. Reason: questions on where to find app

Moving to the ROMs/Hacks section.
    Droiderator

ROM
    Bugless Nexus

No I used Superoneclick the last time with no issues.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

well, just did it and it rooted my droid X no problem. works great

Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

Do you have a link to Visionary?
    Motorola Q > Blackberry Pearl > Blackberry Storm > Blackberry Storm 2 > Droid X > HTC Thunderbolt > Note 2

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liberty 1.5

I just used it last night, it worked perfectly. Absolutely no problems what-so-ever. I've been tinkering with it all day, its an exciting new world.

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liberty 1.5

One thing to add. I did have to try it about three times. I received text messages during the first two which could have been the problem but it seemed to get caught in the updating stage. I was able to simply push the back button back to the main page. I rebooted, ran it again and it was done within three minutes. Great app!

So if I use this app....is there other stuff I need to do? I've been trying not to root but there are a few things about it that really intrigue me...
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I've played with it a bit. The neatest thing is the wifi teather. Though I wont use it much, its cool to have.

Any neat things I can do now that im rooted??

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liberty 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by 010sport View Post
    So if I use this app....is there other stuff I need to do? I've been trying not to root but there are a few things about it that really intrigue me...
    Not as far as rooting goes, it does all of the work. I am only just getting into the roms and themes. I did all of the backup work but haven't actually tried installing anything major yet. Its nice to be able to block all of the bloatware though

Quote Originally Posted by Nailz509 View Post
    Not as far as rooting goes, it does all of the work. I am only just getting into the roms and themes. I did all of the backup work but haven't actually tried installing anything major yet. Its nice to be able to block all of the bloatware though
    Well cool! My main fear was all that stuff I'd read about bootstrapping, backing up, bricking, etc....

Global Posts
    355 Global Posts

What are you using to back up all your system data such as homescreen, brightness settings, alert ect. J have been using titanium pro but just recentl found out that it only bald up my apps and their data but not everything else.

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liberty 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Lonman06 View Post
    What are you using to back up all your system data such as homescreen, brightness settings, alert ect. J have been using titanium pro but just recentl found out that it only bald up my apps and their data but not everything else.
    I just used Titanium, the apps and system data are all that I'm really concerned with. I'm an extreme newbie, maybe I'm missing something major that I should be doing. I did do the recommended backup via bootstrap, though. Just in case I managed to screw something up.

And my fear is back......

Global Posts
    355 Global Posts

Im confused. Does titanium back up system data such as ring tones, alert settings and homescreen setup?

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liberty 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by 010sport View Post
    And my fear is back......
    If you're talking about the root process with Visionary all I can say is that it worked great for me and with no real input from me. I felt the same way, believe me, but I'm already glad I did it.

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liberty 1.5

Im confused. Does titanium back up system data such as ring tones, alert settings and homescreen setup?
    The options that it gives are apps and system data but there isn't a specific breakdown of what that includes inside the actual app. I didn't really do a whole lot of searching since all of my custom ringtones and such were saved to my SD card and backed up on my computer.

Global Posts
    355 Global Posts

The options that it gives are apps and system data but there isn't a specific breakdown of what that includes inside the actual app. I didn't really do a whole lot of searching since all of my custom ringtones and such were saved to my SD card and backed up on my computer.
    What about all the general phone settings? When I did a backup on my blackberry all my settings would be restored when I upgraded to a new OS. I just want to make sure that if anything happens I can have a complete backup of all my phone settings, not just my apps and the settings inside of each app.

I hope I am making sense when I say "phone settings", I'm not really sure what to call them.

If you're talking about the root process with Visionary all I can say is that it worked great for me and with no real input from me. I felt the same way, believe me, but I'm already glad I did it.
    well okay then....maybe I'll go for it tonight then! Where is a good starting place for things I can do after rooting? I know I've stumble across some accidentally, but since I wasn't/am not rooted, I didn't pay alot of attention....

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liberty 1.5

What about all the general phone settings? When I did a backup on my blackberry all my settings would be restored when I upgraded to a new OS. I just want to make sure that if anything happens I can have a complete backup of all my phone settings, not just my apps and the settings inside of each app.
    I hope I am making sense when I say "phone settings", I'm not really sure what to call them.
    Just came from a Blackberry myself so I know exactly what you mean. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) I haven't had to restore yet so I don't know for sure. Its made to sound like it restores settings completely but I'm not quite ready to make that jump yet. It does restore Accounts, Bluetooth settings, Wifi settings, etc by default (I'm talking about Titanium) so I would assume it would handle most all of the typical settings we were concerned with on Blackberry. I know there is a separate option to backup contacts to your SD card, in case the Android backup option doesn't work, which is really the only data that i am genuinely concerned about losing.

What you want is a nandroid, and titanium can do all of that. But you can only do a nandroid if you are rooted, bootstrapped, and have clockwork mod recovery. I'm not sure one click root is the right thing for you guys, it totally leaves you unprepared for the very possible bricking (like the other thread on this in the forum).
    For example:
    If you decide to go with a one click you almost for sure won't have adb. You probably won't know what adb is. Thus when you brick your phone, you'll have to run to the internet in a panic trying to find drivers, the .sbf, and RSD. Trust me when I say that the process of fiddling and tinkering and browsing the forums the hard way is what you need to be prepared to fix any possible problems.
    Fission 1.1t4 X - Rooted Overclocked/Undervolted

The only way to back up everything (ringtones, system settings, homescreens, apps and all their settings...everything) is with a nandroid backup (root required). Do a google search for "Koush bootstrap." He has his own site. The app is easy to use. You can also do a youtube serach for the same phrase and watch a short video of someone making a backup.

Titanium is still very useful though, as you can use it to restore apps and their settings if you flash a new ROM, which will wipe all your apps and data (most ROMs need to perform a full wipe when installed). Afterwords, many of your apps will automatically redownload, but a few don't, and the ones that do no longer have your settings. A weather app would be a example of this. Titanium can be used to selectively restore those app settings without you having to re-enter data. The nandroid backup is really for restoring from a total crash, or if you install a new ROM and decide you like it a few hours later, you can use your nandroid backup to get everything back the way it was.

El Poblano is right...do some research so that you're comfortable with all this. It's not rocket science, but some understanding is beneficial.
    Last edited by greydarrah; 11-08-2010 at 09:31 AM.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

Global Posts
    355 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    The only way to back up everything (ringtones, system settings, homescreens, apps and all their settings...everything) is with a nandroid backup (root required). Do a google search for "Koush bootstrap." He has his own site. The app is easy to use. You can also do a youtube serach for the same phrase and watch a short video of someone making a backup.

Titanium is still very useful though, as you can use it to restore apps and their settings if you flash a new ROM, which will wipe all your apps and data (most ROMs need to perform a full wipe when installed). Afterwords, many of your apps will automatically redownload, but a few don't, and the ones that do no longer have your settings. A weather app would be a example of this. Titanium can be used to selectively restore those app settings without you having to re-enter data. The nandroid backup is really for restoring from a total crash, or if you install a new ROM and decide you like it a few hours later, you can use your nandroid backup to get everything back the way it was.

El Poblano is right...do some research so that you're comfortable with all this. It's not rocket science, but some understanding is beneficial.
    Thanks to both of you for the response. I have purchased this application an did the backup. Does this program back up my apps and app settings or do I still need titianium for that part?

Thanks to both of you for the response. I have purchased this application an did the backup. Does this program back up my apps and app settings or do I still need titianium for that part?
    The nandroid backup (done with Bootstrap), is for total recovery from the point in time that you made it. If you restore from it, EVERYTHING that was on your phone, including all settings, apps, ringtones, home screens, brightness, etc... is back as it was when the backup was made. The reason you would also want to make Titanium backups is because you can use those to restore specific apps and their respective settings if you ever flash a new ROM that wipes your phone. In that situation, you would NOT use your nandroid backup, as it would just put your entire phone back to the way it was, which would defeat the point of having flashed a new ROM. Does that make sense?
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

Global Posts
    355 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    The nandroid backup (done with Bootstrap), is for total recovery from the point in time that you made it. If you restore from it, EVERYTHING that was on your phone, including all settings, apps, ringtones, home screens, brightness, etc... is back as it was when the backup was made. The reason you would also want to make Titanium backups is because you can use those to restore specific apps and their respective settings if you ever flash a new ROM that wipes your phone. In that situation, you would NOT use your nandroid backup, as it would just put your entire phone back to the way it was, which would defeat the point of having flashed a new ROM. Does that make sense?
    I think so, so what you're saying is that it basically saves an image of exactly how the phone was from when the backup was made?

If I upgrade to 2.3 when it comes out, are all my setting lost or are those kept in the upgrade?