Just Rooted my X and I am on Verizon..

MuGGzyx

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I successfully rooted my Droid X using the z4Root app, verified it worked when I installed Adfree Android.
I don't want to do too much indepth stuff to my phone but the main reason I rooted it was to be able to rename the bloatware Verizon put on this.
I installed Astro and I can go to where I find the Blockbuster/Amazon/Etc files, but when I try to rename them I get an error saying I need root access to perform this function, or something similar.

What is the best way to get to these files and rename them?

GatorPT

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I successfully rooted my Droid X using the z4Root app, verified it worked when I installed Adfree Android.
I don't want to do too much indepth stuff to my phone but the main reason I rooted it was to be able to rename the bloatware Verizon put on this.
I installed Astro and I can go to where I find the Blockbuster/Amazon/Etc files, but when I try to rename them I get an error saying I need root access to perform this function, or something similar.

What is the best way to get to these files and rename them?

I would use root explorer to change the name of the files. Or you could use titanium backup to freeze or uninstall them . Safest thing to do is rename , but if you uninstall them make sure to make a back up of the files before deleting .

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
They don't take up enough space to warrant removing them. Use Titanium backup to freeze them and they wont start up and use any resources. They are also easy to unfreeze if you need to get an OTA update.

green mtns rider

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
just rooted again after having lost root with the Froyo OTA back in Sept. I reinstalled setcpu and it was granted superuser permissions. looks like im good to go once again! sweet..

codythibeauuu

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Try Titanium Backup to delete your bloat and if you want a overclocker with a nice interface, try JRummy's DX/D2 Overclocker. Both available in the market. PM me if you need more help!

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded z4root, but haven't done it yet. No reason why other than being kind of new to Android & wanting to learn more first.

So sorry for the newbie question, but I want to root mainly for wireless tether. If I root and leave everything stock, will I need to do anything special when OTA updates come? Or since I left everything stock it will come normally just like Froyo did. I know OTA updates usually always break root so that would probably happen, but I could wait until another 1 click root method came out for that update.

rion_j

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
i had Easy Root before the official 2.2 OTA hit. I did the official OTA 2.2, and basically root was lost after the upgrade which is what i expected. No other problems for me becuase I didnt make any changes to the phone iteself expect use Root Apps. So, it's probably safe to assume with z4root, that if you root with this app, and when OTA's hit your phone that you'll be able to no problem.

Reactions: El Jefe

LMO

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Haven't gotten to this point yet... but, when another OTA does come out, does this mean we will not need to UNroot first? I can just load the OTA (and then probably have to REroot)? Wow, coming from a BB, this is a whole new adventure! LOL

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I finally did it. It was INCREDIBLY easy & fast! I rebooted first because I read that it would freeze up occasionally on some people's X and rebooting then restarting cleared it up. I clicked "root" & in literally under a minute it was done, rebooted itself, and when I went back to the app I was able to grant superuser permission.

I will DEFINITELY be donating to the developer & hopefully there will be quick updates to reroot again once new OTA's come out if the OTA's do end up breaking root.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tony2