Rooting phone with 2.2.1?

Skatedawg

ROM Abuser
Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I just updated my DroidX to the latest version and I was told that you can root it just like in the 2.2.0 version. I have been trying for about 2 hours now and have not got it to work. I have tried the z4root but it just runs none stop and appears to be doing nothing. I could be doing something wrong but can someone give me some in sight on this?

Skatedawg

ROM Abuser
Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Its version 1.3.0 andi got it from xda because I could not find it on market. Turned debug on. Hit permanent. It reboot the phone and it still does not work.

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I have rooted half a dozen phones with Z4. Sometimes it hangs and you have to run it again. When I rooted on 2.2, it worked fine the first time on my X. With 2.2.1, I had to hit the back button a couple times as it would get hung on the first step. Finally the 3rd time it went through.

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I have rooted half a dozen phones with Z4. Sometimes it hangs and you have to run it again. When I rooted on 2.2, it worked fine the first time on my X. With 2.2.1, I had to hit the back button a couple times as it would get hung on the first step. Finally the 3rd time it went through.

Just ran Z4 this morning and it flew on 2.2.1. Keep trying.

ooltewahvol

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Mine are working fine. After I did the update, I just did another permanent root with Z4, then after the reboot I restarted my apps to give them superuser permissions again.

Skatedawg

ROM Abuser
Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Maybe im doing something wrong here. Let me know. Im going to explain what I did to and the issues im having.

-Downloaded update.zip
-Did NOT unroot.
-Installed update
-Root apps did not work so i installed z4root
-ran z4root a few times and finally got it to install and reboot.
-still not able to run root required apps

Do i need to SBF to the 2.2 and then do the update and then run z4root? I even tried to unroot, factory wipe, and then try on a new slate but when i did that it wiped out everything such as cityid and things that come preinstalled so i could not install the update because those were missing.

Thanks to the droid x bootstrapper i had a backup of the entire system and i reloaded back to before unrooting.

OMG THIS IS A MESS!!!! please help :) thanks

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
This is a stretch, try clearing data in application settings for the Z4 app. then use it to permantly root.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Lonman06

Oct 29, 2010
lonman06.com
I'm having a similar problem. When I use Z4 to root is says rebooting phone but I get stuck on the clockworkmod screen! Is there anyway of getting around this?

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm having a similar problem. When I use Z4 to root is says rebooting phone but I get stuck on the clockworkmod screen! Is there anyway of getting around this?

You know you guys got me so intrigued I decided to sbf to the system only 2.2.340 and gain root again with Z4. wish me luck!

Ok I've flashed and formatted my data so starting from scratch again.

I installed Oynmous app installer and used that to install the Z4 1.3 app from SD.

First go at it asked me to Debug. So my bad, I guess you do have to debug.

Secound go I Permanently rooted it winked at me and nothing, no superuser, nothing.

Third go at it it rebooted and Superuser is now there, I'm thinking I'm rooted.

downloaded Root Explorer (you need root for that) Opened it. Superuser asks for permission I say yes da da da da...I HAVE ROOT.

As sbf s go you need to know what system version your in before flashing sbf. there's like 4 different ones now flying all around here so be careful.

Lonman06

Oct 29, 2010
lonman06.com
You know you guys got me so intrigued I decided to sbf to the system only 2.2.340 and gain root again with Z4. wish me luck!

Ok I've flashed and formatted my data so starting from scratch again.

I installed Oynmous app installer and used that to install the Z4 1.3 app from SD.

First go at it asked me to Debug. So my bad, I guess you do have to debug.

Secound go I Permanently rooted it winked at me and nothing, no superuser, nothing.

Third go at it it rebooted and Superuser is now there, I'm thinking I'm rooted.

downloaded Root Explorer (you need root for that) Opened it. Superuser asks for permission I say yes da da da da...I HAVE ROOT.

As sbf s go you need to know what system version your in before flashing sbf. there's like 4 different ones now flying all around here so be careful.

Do I lose all my data with a sbf? I have everything running perfectly on the newest release except for the fact that I can't root.

Also does your phone do a full reboot? I keep getting stuck at the clockworkmod recovery screen.

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Do I lose all my data with a sbf? I have everything running perfectly on the newest release except for the fact that I can't root.

Also does your phone do a full reboot? I keep getting stuck at the clockworkmod recovery screen.

You do, but a back up of your data (w/Titanium) will remedy that .

You shouldnt have to SBF to get root.

Z4 app will do it. (Please check out the Z4 sticky, it's very informative)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol