King Neptune117

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Last edited:

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Hello I am thinking about installing this new rom

DROID X ROM: Apex 1.3.0 with Gingerbread by Fabolous - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

First question: Do I need the paid app rom manager to do this? What advantages does using rom manager give me?

Second question: When another OTA update comes for droid x, how do I remove the rom so I can download and install the new update? Is it hard to uninstall roms?

You can download from the site, Rom Manager isn't really necessary to do this, (but Bootstrap is NEEDED to flash any Rom)

Once you go Rom, it's best to stay Rom. The developers are always on top to keeping you updated. (especially the Apex)

Using Rom MAnager is helpful into INTRODUCING new Roms that are out there in one convenient location.

King Neptune117

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
You can download from the site, Rom Manager isn't really necessary to do this, (but Bootstrap is NEEDED to flash any Rom)

Once you go Rom, it's best to stay Rom. The developers are always on top to keeping you updated. (especially the Apex)

Using Rom MAnager is helpful into INTRODUCING new Roms that are out there in one convenient location.

Thanks for the help. Do the steps listed on that website sound correct?

And also, just incase I do want to go back to stock, what would I do?

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I followed those same steps last night. Took about an hour to get everythings back to normal plus a few extras and am loving it! I didn't use Rom mngr but Dl it anyways. It seems better to install different themes on the rom. I am probably not utilizing it to its fullest but I am new to all this too.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
rubiX if you want a great AOSP theme.
They have a version w/ a patch that'll work on the latest .340 OTA update.

Juicemann is finishing up his Ginger Juiced' theme and it's awesome.
I'm beta testing it. very nice.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
sorry but what is AOSP?

Android Open Source Project.

basically they are Roms designed to look and work as much like stock android as possible.

in the case of the DX blur is completely removed
that's good and bad because much of moto blur is annoying BUT there are some features that people do like.
In those cases if it's something you like you can usually find an app or way of re-creating the that blur functionality.

King Neptune117

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
yes but if you have issues i would wipe data/cache...
that always seems to be the solution if you have problems.

I wipe data/cache in clockwork recovery, right?

Also, is that the same thing as a factory reset?

Also, (sorry for all the Q's), in the settings - privacy menu there is a factory reset button. Is doing that the same thing as doing the wipe in clockwork?

One last thing, what is SBF?

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I wipe data/cache in clockwork recovery, right?

Also, is that the same thing as a factory reset?

Also, (sorry for all the Q's), in the settings - privacy menu there is a factory reset button. Is doing that the same thing as doing the wipe in clockwork?

One last thing, what is SBF?

The way I like to think of SBF is that its a Stock Backup of Factory settings....

you don't have to wipe data to install Apex and no factory reset is not the same as wiping data.

Before you flash Apex (or any Rom) MAKE A BACKUP of your current STOCK settings through BOOTSTRAP! It's easy, once you go into recovery, go to -backup and restore.

click on -backup, watch the magic. power button back up , select -reboot system now.

Now your set to play with any Rom out there.

Don't like the Rom?

repeat the steps above, this time select restore. choose the file you want (should only be 1 file there if this is your first backup)

your now back to Stock (no SBF needed).

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'd also recommend Titanium Backup to backup all your applications and application data. I wouldn't use it to back up system apps and data but it's GREAT for backing up user apps. I am always switching up and trying new ROMs and Titanium saves a bunch of setup time.

Also FWIW, I think Fab is the only developer that is keeping his section of ROM Manager up to date. I only use it to manage my nandroid backups.

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
^^^
+1 for Titanium
I just update 2 Xs tonight and made backups of my favorite apps. Nice to keep my score in Angry Birds :)

Also great for backing up simple things you forget about but regret later such as call history, sms, etc.

[tapatalk - droidx]

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I have a questions about bootstrap backups: I get how they work, but if you choose to wipe data while installing the ROM, won't that get rid of your backup? Do you have to transfer the backup to a PC (or dropbox) or something? Or have I misunderstood what choosing to wipe the cache/data does from within Koush's bootstrap?

Thanks!

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I have a questions about bootstrap backups: I get how they work, but if you choose to wipe data while installing the ROM, won't that get rid of your backup? Do you have to transfer the backup to a PC (or dropbox) or something? Or have I misunderstood what choosing to wipe the cache/data does from within Koush's bootstrap?

Thanks!

I'm actually not sure what it wipes, system stuff probably. I just always do it because all the devs say you should.

it doesn't blow away your backups though or anything on your SD card.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I'd also recommend Titanium Backup to backup all your applications and application data. I wouldn't use it to back up system apps and data but it's GREAT for backing up user apps. I am always switching up and trying new ROMs and Titanium saves a bunch of setup time.

Also FWIW, I think Fab is the only developer that is keeping his section of ROM Manager up to date. I only use it to manage my nandroid backups.

Yeah Rom Manager is a great place to start out but your'll quickly find that the dev's site has much more info and typically more updated versions.

I think Rom Manager can make things a little too easy. Personally, when i'm doing stuff that could brick my phone I want it to be a little harder than clicking and rebooting. If I'm forced to do it the hard way I going to read the warnings and suggestions and maybe see issues that others are having before I install.