I want a Black Notification bar and....

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I really want the black notification bar and the "gingerbread" LPP theme on my Droid X - but the options out there are overwhelming.

I currently am running the stock 2.3.340 and have never Rooted before.

I did run the leaked Froyo a while back and re-flashed prior to the official release so I'm somewhat knowledgable but still would like the easiest/safest route.

Any suggestions on what would be best for a rooting neophyte?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Get z4root (search on google and you can find the apk easily). After you root, download the paid versions of Droid X Bootstrapper and Rom Manger. There is a video on youtube that shows how to make a nandroid backup with Bootstrapper. Do that so that you can always fall back to a fresh 2.2.1 install in a matter of minutes. Then go into Rom Manger, click Flash ClockworkMod Recovery, select the Droid X, then click Download ROM, scroll to the bottom and click Fabolous, then click ApeX V1.3.0 for Droid X, click download, select wipe data and you'll be golden.

Reactions: Oj467

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Z4 is by far the easiest way to root. Once you root you should rom it too. Make a stock rooted backup first. Try out apex 1.3. It has the black bar and is skinned with ginger. Looks nice :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Reactions: Oj467

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Get z4root (search on google and you can find the apk easily). After you root, download the paid versions of Droid X Bootstrapper and Rom Manger. There is a video on youtube that shows how to make a nandroid backup with Bootstrapper. Do that so that you can always fall back to a fresh 2.2.1 install in a matter of minutes. Then go into Rom Manger, click Flash ClockworkMod Recovery, select the Droid X, then click Download ROM, scroll to the bottom and click Fabolous, then click ApeX V1.3.0 for Droid X, click download, select wipe data and you'll be golden.

You getting good! Beat me by a minute! Nice write up also.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Thank you both!

What should I do prior to using Z4Root? Anything I should backup? Is there a full download floating around of the whole stock DX including preinstalled bloatware in the event Gingerbread lands sooner than expected and I want to flash back to stock for the official OTA?

Also - dumb question - but will my paid apps continue to work when rooted - or is it a different world entirely?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Thank you both!

What should I do prior to using Z4Root? Anything I should backup? Is there a full download floating around of the whole stock DX including preinstalled bloatware in the event Gingerbread lands sooner than expected and I want to flash back to stock for the official OTA?

Also - dumb question - but will my paid apps continue to work when rooted - or is it a different world entirely?

Rooting wont do anything to your bloatware, so there is no need to worry about backing up before you root. Just root, then use Bootstrapper to make your nandroid backup. That's the most complete and fastest way to return to stock later on. If in a few months (ha ha ha) Gingerbread comes out, you just restore that nandroid backup and you can OTA the latest. The nandroid backup will restore your phone with all the bloatware you have right now...just like it is today, no matter what ROMs you install later or what bloatware you might decide to delete. Being rooted and running custom ROMs, you'll probably be running Gingerbread long before the OTA ever thinks about dropping.

All your paid apps will continue to work. I also recommend getting the paid version of Titanium backup. It does very thorough job of backing up apps and there settings which is helpful if you flash other ROMs later and want all the settings (like for games, or Google Places) restored. Plus, you can use it to "freeze" bloatware without having to delete it. SetCPU is another great root app to preserve battery life.

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Any chance you have a link to that youtube video? Can't seem to find one that refers to a nandroid backup with bootstrapper.

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Thank you! I guess putting the "nandroid" thing in there was what was giving me odd results.

With the Z4Root - do I want temporary or permanent root?

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok I'm at the Apex point and all that happens after dloading it is the phone reboots and and I'm back where I was before - nothing looks any different - same old Launcher Pro - same gray notification bar etc....

unsungzeros99

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Make sure before downloading it that you bootstrap the recovery. To do this go into bootstrap recovery app and hit bootstrap recovery. Also make sure you downloaded rom manager and have downloaded clockwork recovery....hope this helps

Last edited:

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Make sure before downloading it that you bootstrap the recovery. To do this go into bootstrap recovery app and hit bootstrap recovery. Also make sure you downloaded Tom manager and have downloaded clockwork recovery....hope this helps

Not quite sure what you mean. I've already downloaded Apex 1.30 - it asked to reboot which the phone did - all that happens then is it reboots and I pick either LPP, ADW or stock Moto UI.

unsungzeros99

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
How did you download apex 1.3 from rom manager or from the internet? And also after it downloaded did your phone just restart or did it boot into a different screen and install apex? Also before you started did you download the app called bootstrap recovery from the market? It is needed to download any rom.

Last edited:

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded Apex via Rom Manager.

I did figure out how to boot into recovery and browse to the file for Apex on the SD card and it installed.

At this point - I do have the Black Notification bar. However - my old LPP is still there - as is a fresh ADW I installed (along with Home Changer) prior to doing all this.

What I was looking for is Apex w/o any LPP or ADW stuff - or is that not possible?

unsungzeros99

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I am pretty sure apex uses adw as its default launcher...there are other roms out there that use stock launcher or blur launcher depending on what you are looking for.

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks again guys - got it working finally and set up with LPP.

Last question - is it possible to remove ADW - or is it somehow built into Apex? I can't seem to remove it via Application Management.