Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Which ROM for me?

Although I'm very tech savvy, I've never really been into customizing and tweaking things, although I'm capable of figuring things out. At this point I'm becoming disgusted with Motor's lack of interest in the X, and building a stable, fluid OS, so I guess its time to start checking out ROMs. I've seen some names like Gummy, ApeX and FlyX thrown around, and there may be other contenders as well, so help steer me to what would be a good fit for me.

Want: Stable experience - no crashing. Fluid/fast/polished. Bloatware removal.

Don't want: constant workarounds just to have things work normally

Like: facebook integration for things like contact pics and status updates, but not having all my friends in my phonebook

Need: bluetooth audio and phone, camera, etc

I don't want to this just so I can constantly tinker with themes and stuff. I just want a solid replacement experience, closer to what motor should be providing...if that exists.

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod 7.1 RC 1.2

GummyJar is very nice I would suggest trying it first and if you don't like that try ApeX
    Nokia 6xxx >> Motorola i710 >> Motorola Razr >> BB 9000 >> BB 9700 >> Nexus One >> Droid X >> Thunderbolt

Global Posts
    6,694 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

Dark Slide V4.1 is stable and cool ,comes in blur or blurless depending on your preference is. I used them both on the blur one now ......,but then again I used ApeX and GummyJar too haha , just settled in on DS for awhile I am not commmited for life to one Rom

I have made no changes to DarkSlide's operating system at all from when it was installed except to install a green tinted keyboard,of course my apps all back and the optional 3G HotSpot Hack,,, but just used the wifi tethering part so far.
    I am overclocked and use setcpu configured for more battery saving stuff in the profile section . Alls Great
    Last edited by davidnc; 01-02-2011 at 11:48 AM. Reason: stuff added

ApeX is my favorite. You should install a ROM, make a nandroid backup of it (after getting your settings the way you like), use the ROM for a few days, then install a different one if your not totally pleased. Make a nandroid backup of that one too. If you don't like what you switch to, use your nandroid backup to go back to the first one. It just takes a few minutes to switch.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
    MacGyver Wannabe

I'm also a fan of Darkslide. They have the best user support I've ever seen, too.

Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gingerbread 2.3.3 rooted

Backup first and then try several I prefer gummy jar myself

I have tried a number of ROMs but so far Apex 1.3.1 has been the smoothest rom I have used, I have ran it for some while with no issues at all and there is a nice number of custom themes already posted for it also I love that the developer added scripts to uninstall and customize apps... Worth a look..

ROM

THEMES
    Samsung S3
    Time to feel the POWER...
    Thanked by:

gummy jar is bare bones......basically bone stock google. no features like bluetooth text messages, call id readout, facebook integration.

apex is basically a slimmed down and fast version of moto blur. it has all of the bloat removed and you can add/subtract things with the terminal editor.

my gummyjar 2.5 has facebook integration
    not the blur integration. but it's there.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Thanks for the input, I may shoot for ApeX first. Going to take the plunge either this afternoon or tomorrow.
    Android Addict

Global Posts
    1,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS / Stock

I use apex, but darkslide is also a good very stable rom. Haven't tried gummyjar yet so I couldn't comment, but have heard good things.
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Also a fan of ApeX...no complaints...works and looks amazing. Huge improvement in battery life and performance. Read its reviews. A solid built ROM.

Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I was going for vanilla Android, so I tried out GummyJar... was nice and smooth, but I didn't like the black GTalk and Messaging apps. Jumped ship over to Fission and am now basking in smooth vanilla AOSP goodness

Global Posts
    700 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

Apex with Launcher Pro Plus sounds like it would work well for you, Pablo.
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JungleLarry View Post
    Apex with Launcher Pro Plus sounds like it would work well for you, Pablo.
    Ill second that. That's what im using....Apex....LP plus dock and widgets with LPI custom icons and Beautiful Widgets.
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Apex by the way also comes with ADW Launcher if you like that launcher better.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Yea, I've wanted to try ADW. I have been using LP+ for a few months.

Global Posts
    700 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

Quote Originally Posted by Clemsonpablo View Post
    Yea, I've wanted to try ADW. I have been using LP+ for a few months.
    Both are great. I like aspects of both, but I end up going back to LP+ because it just edges out ADW in the "makes sense to me" category.

I haven't tried ADW EX yet, so I can't speak on that, but obviously people love it. You really can't go wrong with either one.

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock rooted

Pretty new to the ROM scene but my 2 cents here is either Apex or if u want speed I suggest Gummy Jar2.5 but both are great ROMs.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty_82 View Post
    I use apex, but darkslide is also a good very stable rom. Haven't tried gummyjar yet so I couldn't comment, but have heard good things.

I switched to DarkSlideBlur 4.2 and the update is incredible and the new themes are designed will. (Home page is mine not original rom) also I am using ADW Launcher EX and uninstalled pre installed ADW and LP.... check it out

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which ROM for me?-cap201101062212.jpg   Which ROM for me?-market1.jpg   Which ROM for me?-multitouch.jpg   Which ROM for me?-gbdialer.jpg   Which ROM for me?-popup.jpg  

Last edited by wildman; 01-06-2011 at 10:44 PM.
    Samsung S3
    Android Enthusiast

ROM
    SKAnkCM10/Milestone6

Quote Originally Posted by wildman View Post

I switched to DarkSlideBlur 4.2 and the update is incredible and the new themes are designed will. (Home page is mine not original rom) also I am using ADW Launcher EX and uninstalled pre installed ADW and LP.... check it out

+1 on DarkSlide 4.2 (You know we're living in good times when you can jump from rom to rom. All the above mentioned are great in their own regards). I'm feeling like a pimp now using Darkslide, a heavily themed rom.
    Droiderator

ROM
    Bugless Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by JkdJedi View Post
    +1 on DarkSlide 4.2 (You know we're living in good times when you can jump from rom to rom. All the above mentioned are great in their own regards). I'm feeling like a pimp now using Darkslide, a heavily themed rom.
    Maybe ill try this one out too. Looks nice and black!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Hows the battery life compared to apex?

Quote Originally Posted by NickB2005 View Post
    Hows the battery life compared to apex?

I havent really used it long enough to determine battery life but it seems to do well but I can say that it seems to run smoother for me than apex, I play NOVA alot and the game has became addictive but Apex would lag a lot, havent had so much as a hiccup with the Darkslide 2.4
    Samsung S3
    Droiderator

ROM
    Bugless Nexus

Loading up darkslide now. Need to load 4.1 first then 4.2.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast