Root info

pjh325

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I think I have decided to root the little under a month old DX (its just a baby I know) I just have a few questions.

1) Do I need Titanium Backup once rooted, or is it just a useful tool to have?

2) ROM Manager, useful for someone like me who doesn't understand the whole flashing ROM's and flashing in general, or pointless?

3)Astro File Manager, what do I need to do with this app, is it just a helpful file manager to get the Z4Root file on the phone or something much better?

4) Z4Root, is this the most recommended method for rooting and if not someone please tell me what they would use?

I have read the stickies and I just feel so lost... Thank you all so much in advance!!!!

pjh325

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I want a new interface to play around with and I really like the options of All the different ROM's out there

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
1) Do I need Titanium Backup once rooted, or is it just a useful tool to have?
Useful but not needed

2) ROM Manager, useful for someone like me who doesn't understand the whole flashing ROM's and flashing in general, or pointless?
It is useful for the "point and click" functions, I usually just work from the boot recovery screen.

3)Astro File Manager, what do I need to do with this app, is it just a helpful file manager to get the Z4Root file on the phone or something much better?
You will need a file manager to install the z4 apk, but this can be done with the stock file app. It doesn't hurt anything to have on your phone though. It has more features than the stock file app.

4) Z4Root, is this the most recommended method for rooting and if not someone please tell me what they would use?
z4root is the easiest way to root for the DX. I would not recomend using anything else.

Read all you can prior to flashing any rom so you are comfortable with the steps. Read the comments for the rom you are looking at flashing and make sure you make a backup prior to flashing. I would recommend ApeX to start with. GummyJar and DarkSlide are also good roms.

pjh325

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Two more questions. When I do a backup, I will have to be rooted in order to do so, correct? Also once I'm rooted I can basically remove the Z4root apk and it will unroot me? Or is it a little longer process?

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
To use full features of Titanium backup, you need to be rooted. You could just leave the .apk, it doesn't take up much memory. It downloads to the card, well it did on mine.

I also suggest Titanium Backup Pro for $6, well worth it since you can freeze apps. Phone runs smoother for me so far.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Z4root is just an app. It roots your phone. Removing the app just removes the app. If you use the app there is an unroot option. You need to be rooted to bootstrap your recovery where you backup. If you hold home button and power button to boot into recovery I don't know if stock recovery has backup option.

irish22022

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
all the same q's as the author... thanks guys.

Why does it matter if it's temporary or permanent? I'd definately want to be able to unroot when Gingerbread comes so I can get it OTA. That's my biggest concern, not getting an update and being stuck.

irish22022

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
advantages with permanent vs temporary? I think I just want to be rooted. As long as I can updates and the phone is stable. I don't want to deal with things crashing or me panicking online because my phone is bricked. I think that's everyone's fear.

If I may ask another question (sorry to the author for hijacking), when people talk about "themes". Are these seperate downloads or do they come with different ROMs? For example, I really like transparent everything. I want a transparent dialer and transparent contacts app, transparent notification bar, etc... Are there themes like this that can be applied to the ROMs or do I have to learn how to use metamorph? What's an example of a theme? Can someone post a screenshot of two different themes on the same phone so I can see exactly what changes?

Also, I'm assuming that I'll be able to use launcher pro with any of these ROMs?

Sorry for the super noob questions.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
all the same q's as the author... thanks guys.

Why does it matter if it's temporary or permanent? I'd definately want to be able to unroot when Gingerbread comes so I can get it OTA. That's my biggest concern, not getting an update and being stuck.

Having root will not stop you from doing a ota so no worry.

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Would you do a permanent root or a temporary root?

Didn't see an answer to this, since your already rooted this is fyi. Permanent root can be reversed easily using z4 so if your flashing roms you should do permanent. Temp will reset when the phone is reset so is only for quick changes.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Didn't see an answer to this, since your already rooted this is fyi. Permanent root can be reversed easily using z4 so if your flashing roms you should do permanent. Temp will reset when the phone is reset so is only for quick changes.

I was wondering the purpose for the temporary option and I decided that this may be for a user that only want to root for screen capture or wireless tether, if they use this option they can run these apps without issues and after they complete using what they needed all they had to do was restart device to revert back to a regular device... This was the only solution I could come up with as a answer.

well, i am rooted! any good ideas for starter ROM's? so far i've heard many people like Apex?

Apex is a very nice rom but recently I tried DarkSlide 4.2 rom from http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/droid-x-roms/5788-rom-darkslide-v4-1-updated-01-04-11-a.html and I am really loving it. The work he done in this upgrade is incredible.

Last edited:

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering the purpose for the temporary option and I decided that this may be for a user that only want to root for screen capture or wireless teather, if they ue this option they can run these apps without issues and after they complete what they way using it for all they had to do was restart device to revert back to a regular device... This was the only solution I could come up with as a answer.

Lol, I was thinking the same thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rabruslik