Titanium Backup really necessary?

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I recently rooted my X, mainly for the wireless tether. The question I was wondering was if I am going to only add a few apps that require root, do I need to use Titanium? I am not going to rom so is it really that important to backup? If I do backup, all I really need is to backup the apps...correct? Thanks in advance for any input:cool:

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Your apps are backed up no matter what under the google account you used to set up the phone. Titanium is good for if you want to delete any system apps or freeze them or start flashing different Roms. This way they are backed up if they need to be put back on the phone. It's also good because it backs up everything on the phone, not just the apps from the market. If you're just using the root for the tether you should be fine.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I say, if you are rooted, then yes, Titanium Backup is a necessity.

Titanium Backup will back up user and app data in addition to just the app like the Google cloud. So let's say you worked super hard getting three stars in all the levels in Angry Birds. Something bad happens, and you have a recent backup in Titanium Backup. :) You restore the app + data and all your scores are there!!! The cloud will only restore the app, at best. ;)

And since you are rooted, you really need to get Bootstrapper and do a Clockwork Mod Recovery full backup of your system, it backs up everything, apps, data, cache, and bootloader, and system settings and homescreen setup.

mooserman

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I say, if you are rooted, then yes, Titanium Backup is a necessity.

Titanium Backup will back up user and app data in addition to just the app like the Google cloud. So let's say you worked super hard getting three stars in all the levels in Angry Birds. Something bad happens, and you have a recent backup in Titanium Backup. :) You restore the app + data and all your scores are there!!! The cloud will only restore the app, at best. ;)

And since you are rooted, you really need to get Bootstrapper and do a Clockwork Mod Recovery full backup of your system, it backs up everything, apps, data, cache, and bootloader, and system settings and homescreen setup.

Where can you find the clockwork revcovery at? I am pretty good at tech stuff, but I am rather new to messing with linux. I am not really going to be doing much complicated stuff with my rooted phone. All i am going to be doing is wifi tethering and maybe oc'ing it. Is it really nessecary to get a recovery program for just doing that?

May 16, 2010
Visit site

Couldn't agree more. This is why I love Linux.

OP, you can get it in the Market. It's a good tool to have for backups and
restores. You just never know.

Bald Steve

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
What is the difference between bootstrapper and titanium backup as far as backup is concerned?

*keep in mind, I am by no means a dev. This is just how I see it and the processes I use with these softwares.

Think of it this way: Bootstrapper (Clockwork) backups are like taking a snapshot of where your entire system is at that moment. Everything - txt messages, apps, data, layout, etc, will all be the same as they were the day you took this snapshot should you ever need to recover your system (you don't like a ROM or OTA you installed). If you have any issues, just flash back to the snapshot. You should make a backup in Clockwork every single time you mess with the OS without exception.

For example, I just installed Liberty ROM, coming from from GummyJAR, coming from Rubix. When I installed GummyJAR, I took one of the "snapshots" of Rubix, just in case I didn't like GummyJAR could just go into clockwork, click Restore, click the Rubix backup, and bang - right back to where I was prior to installing GummyJAR like nothing happened. To go to Liberty, I downloaded the ROM, stuck it on the root of the SD, deleted the Rubix backup, did a GummyJAR backup, then flashed...again - just in case. I also have a clockwork backup of plain 2.2.3 (or whatever the latest OTA was - I forget...ha), rooted, but unaltered otherwise for when the next OTA hits. This way, just in case anything unforseen happens that cannot be dealt with I can just flash back to this snapshot, click "unroot" in Z4root, and install the new OTA. Also, if I do structual damage (break camera, crack screen slightly) to the device and need to return it, I would do the same thing - Take it back to stock.

Titanium, on the other hand, will create a snapshot of your applications and data (should you specify it to). The benefit of this is that if you are rooted and installing custom ROMs, most require a full system wipe - meaning everything has to go prior to install. What I do is go into Titanium before installing a ROM and do a batch "backup all apps and data" (again, take a snapshot of all my software - Market and 3rd party). Then I flash the new ROM (like Liberty, which everyone reading this should - it is the next level) and re-sync my google accounts when it open. It's like starting from scratch. All you have to do from here is go to the Market, download Titanium backup, open, then run a batch where you "install all missing apps and data". Pow - Your software in back to where it was prior to the wipe.

These tools are invaluable. You should definitely have them both. And again - this is just how I do things. Other guys will re-download all apps from scratch and just start fresh on everything. Me? I'm a huge fan of the Titanium way. Hope that helps!

Last edited:

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I'm assuming that in order for that, you will need space on your memory card? For the Nandroid backup which I should be doing as well. I do want to do ROMS but afraid if I do mess things up. But I usually do backups using Titanium backup.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
If rooted, a Nandroid is Titanium. Titanium will transfer app data, as a nandroid wont from ROM to ROM. Allot of good apps allow SD backup without titanium, but game progress in angry birds is one good reason to use titanium. Many others I am sure!

Reactions: RHChan84

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I think I have a better understanding. Just trying to google some of this stuff before flashing a new ROM. Found some good stuff but then found some weird stuff. I'll keep looking around and see what I find so far.

mooserman

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
This is all great advice, but where exactly can one find info about this clockwork app everyone has been talking about, I can't seem to find much about it anywhere.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Another huge advantage of having Titanium is that you can use it to "freeze" bloatware apps. This prevents them from starting up and using your phones resources, but they're not actually deleted. So if a new OTA comes out, you un-freeze them and you can run the update. If you ever delete any bloatware, it's most likely that an OTA wont run on your phone until you find, and re-install the deleted apps.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Another huge advantage of having Titanium is that you can use it to "freeze" bloatware apps. This prevents them from starting up and using your phones resources, but they're not actually deleted. So if a new OTA comes out, you un-freeze them and you can run the update. If you ever delete any bloatware, it's most likely that an OTA wont run on your phone until you find, and re-install the deleted apps.

That is right. Or you can root and destroy bloat:( It is a great app and worth every penny...

mooserman

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I sent you a PM

For some reason I can't respond to pm's. But thank you for the offer, I think I can find a copy of the bootstrapper. I do have one question for anyone who can answer, Can you remove the bootstrapper if you wanted to go back to un- rooted, say for a ota update?

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Yes! AS LONG AS YOU MAKE A NANDROID FILE AND DON'T LOOS IT RIGHT AFTER ROOT!!!!!! Then returning to stock is as easy as some commands in TU (terminal Emulator)

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes! AS LONG AS YOU MAKE A NANDROID FILE AND DON'T LOOS IT RIGHT AFTER ROOT!!!!!! Then returning to stock is as easy as some commands in TU (terminal Emulator)

Exactly. Removing the bootstrapper is basically removing an application from
the settings-applications-manage applications. Once you have it the first time,
make your backup (nandroid) of your stock right now. It's automatically saved
to your SD card. Rename that backup file to whatever you want in case you need
to restore it when taking the phone back. Something like "stock 1-13-11" or
something like that.

Download "ROM manager" free version from the Market and you can use that
to rename backup files. Just keep the bootstrapper installed anyway while
you're rooted. That's what you use if you ever you wanna flash (install) a
ROM or theme or something like that. I know you have no intention of doing
it but I was the same way as you. I've become a ROM degenerate :p

Edit: You could also just rename your backups through whatever file
manager you use. SD Card-clockmod-backups

Last edited:

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Yes sir....I even copied that Nandroid and have it on a flash drive in my dresser drawer.....can never be to prepared as SD cards fail ;)