Rooted 2.2 won't update to 2.3.340 & an embarrasing ?

insuranceguy

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
First the embarrasing question.....the day I got my phone I did the OTA update to 2.2. THEN I rooted it...........it has worked perfectly and continues to work perfectly. Heres the problem...I forgot HOW I did it! I am pretty sure I used the instructions here: http://forum.androidcentral.com/mot...0-how-root-your-droid-x-official-2-2-ota.html
Because I found the android sdk folder in my "C" drive. I have the little super user ninja in my app drawer as well.

The reason I am asking this stupid question is because I used a friends DX today with the new keyboard in 2.3.340 and REALLY like it. The problem is that my rooted DX fails to update to 2.3.340 everytime. I assume it is due to being rooted.

1. How can I confirm the root method I used.
2. Can someone point me to the unroot directions so I can update to 2.3.340
3. Is there a stable ROOT method for 2.3.340
4. If yes---point me to it!

Thanks!

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
To your first question, the easiest way to root is with z4Root. you can google it and find the .apk. it's not in the market.
you can root/unroot with it very easily.

that MIGHT work but I thought the .150 > .340 update worked if you were rooted and that root was maintained after updating...I could be wrong about that. I'm was on a custom rom when .340 came out so I didn't take the update OTA.

i would suggest using z4root to unroot, reboot, try to upgrade, if that works great, just re-root with z4root.

if that doesn't work then that makes me wonder if after you rooted you did something like uninstall bloatware...because that is known to prevent OTA updates from taking.

pre update these should be your version in about phone
Android Version: 2.2
System Version: 2.3.150

Post update
Android Version: 2.2.1
System Version: 2.3.340

I make that point to clarify that the latest OTA isn't Android 2.3 aka Gingerbread, it's just a system update.

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
z4root is the easiest method to root / unroot and the only way i would do it. but if you have used a different method, im not sure you can unroot with it. i think will have to use the unroot instructions that follow the root method you have used. in that same thread, there will be instrucitons on how to unroot. the problem is with methods other than z4root, it can be tricky. so in the future if you want to reroot, use this method...

Download: z4root1.3.0.apk

Z4Root Will Root the DROID X 2.3.340 Update - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

juggalofx

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Root doesn't stop the update. You did one of the following to cause a blocked update

1) removed bloatware
2) flash a rom
3) both 1 and 2

Z4 will root with one touch and un root with one click.

You can also just sbf your x then update and re root

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
so juggalo, youre saying that if has his phone rooted, no matter what method he used, he can download z4 root and unroot with it? if so thats news to me! although very cool its that easy. but also correct, rooting alone wont prevent updates.

juggalofx

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
No no sorry was swyping quick my bad lol

Z4 will unroot when used to root ( I am 100% sure that works lol)

Thanks for pointing out my bad in explaining what I ment lol

Tho I see no reason why it wouldn't work. Tbh I can not see why it hurt to try right lol

*edit*

I was sitting here thinking I believe z4 roots the same way as you downloading the sdk and pushing the commands. Hence why z4 only works when usb debugging is turn on without a ubs even bring plugged in. once again only a guess I came to in my head based on nothing I read lol

insuranceguy

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Root doesn't stop the update. You did one of the following to cause a blocked update

1) removed bloatware
2) flash a rom
3) both 1 and 2

Z4 will root with one touch and un root with one click.

You can also just sbf your x then update and re root

You are correct! I removed BLOATWARE after rooting...........so now what?

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
How did you remove the bloat? Did you remove it by renaming the APKs? If so just name them back to what they were, reboot, then try to do the update. If you deleted them then you will need to go out and reinstall them. I believe there is a thread here somewhere that goes over that part.

Reactions: Theman#AC

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
for others, a better method if you are trying to remove bloatware is to just root and use titanium backup to freeze the application.
that'll prevent it from loading at all and you can easily un-freeze when it's time for an ota.

Reactions: Theman#AC

jdm627

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
To your first question, the easiest way to root is with z4Root. you can google it and find the .apk. it's not in the market.
you can root/unroot with it very easily.

that MIGHT work but I thought the .150 > .340 update worked if you were rooted and that root was maintained after updating...I could be wrong about that. I'm was on a custom rom when .340 came out so I didn't take the update OTA.

i would suggest using z4root to unroot, reboot, try to upgrade, if that works great, just re-root with z4root.

if that doesn't work then that makes me wonder if after you rooted you did something like uninstall bloatware...because that is known to prevent OTA updates from taking.

pre update these should be your version in about phone
Android Version: 2.2
System Version: 2.3.150

Post update
Android Version: 2.2.1
System Version: 2.3.340

I make that point to clarify that the latest OTA isn't Android 2.3 aka Gingerbread, it's just a system update.
Very noob. Actually I have rooted version 2.2 bootloader 30.04 factory, this means I have to upgrade one by one till to install 2.3.340 in my case where I can download not OTA upgrade because in my country dosen?t work verizon radio,plr,etc?

Last edited:

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Very noob. Actually I have rooted version 2.2 bootloader 30.04 factory, this means I have to upgrade one by one till to install 2.3.340 in my case where I can download not OTA upgrade because in my country dosen?t work verizon radio,plr,etc?

a bunch has changed since i wrote that..

there are pretty much three methods to get to .340 now...

if you can, take the stock OTA update...it's easier and faster....

otherwise you can use this method

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-rooted-help/112152-maderstcok-ota-2-3-340-update-zip.html

or this one

http://forum.androidcentral.com/mot...59759-official-full-sbf-2-3-34-available.html

jdm627

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
a bunch has changed since i wrote that..

there are pretty much three methods to get to .340 now...

if you can, take the stock OTA update...it's easier and faster....

otherwise you can use this method

maderstcok - OTA 2.3.340 update.zip - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

or this one

http://forum.androidcentral.com/mot...59759-official-full-sbf-2-3-34-available.html
Thank you but i need not OTA version because radio not work in my country.
Other option?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci