Reverting back to stock DX theme after root

tshudyb

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
This is something that I have not been able to find a clear answer about so I am hoping to have it clarified here, now. I was wondering if after rooting the Droid X, if one could return to the original unrooted state easily. Also, after installing a custom ROM, if one could return to the stock/motorola ROM? Would you have to create a backup of your original ROM before rooting? What do you have to do to unroot and/or revert back to the stock ROM? I heard that you cannot update wirelessly with a custom rom and you have to be running the stock rom, is this true?

Also, why can't the real stock version of Android be put on the Droid X? You know, the one created by Google before it was damaged by the manufacturer and the carrier.

Thanks

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Just make a nandroid backup of your stock phone before you install a custom ROM. That way if anything goes wrong/you want to go back to the original for any reason then you can flash it in just a few minutes.

If you don't do that, there ARE ways to get back to stock, but will require a little extra effort.

Reactions: tshudyb

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
You can unroot easily. You need to make a backup after rooting and before flashing a new rom. You can return to the stock rom after flashing a custom rom from your backup. You will not be able to do an OTA update while on a custom rom, but it is easy as long a you run your backup.

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
lots of questions! first of , yes you have to have stock rom to get ota updates... second, easiest way to revert back to stock is to root/unroot with z4 root and flash your nandroid backup ( stock rom, hopefully you made a backup) in CWM. and reason you cant get pure google experience is because of moto using a locked bootloader. however that is being worked on now and may be released today at 6pm est. which will be buggy for awhile. but there are some roms that can give you a pure google experience, or at least real close!!!

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
More clarification please, do I need to be rooted to use Nandroid, and is Nandroid an app?

Nandroid is a carryover term from the alternate recovery SP Recovery for a backup file. It has become common to refer to backups made from the alternate recoveries, even Clockwork Mod Recovery as nandroid backups, or just nandroids.

Sort of like Kleenex is used to talk about Facial Tissue. ;)

And yes, you do need to be rooted to install an alternate recovery program on your device.

darthchaz

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
revert to stock

I've tried to use bootsrtap and cwm to go back to the stock dx rom but it fails every time is it the file? does anyone hve a method to go back to stock? I want to flash liberty but my fission and themed dx wont flash.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
More clarification please, do I need to be rooted to use Nandroid, and is Nandroid an app?

The terms are moot. Backup your first system after a root. That is what we are saying. Then restoring and removing SU apps is easy. Rider has posted a good link for those that hastily go, and forget. Nandroid, nandroid ,nandroid everything, even if installing a .zip keyboard, it takes 5 minutes and never hurts anything.....can always go back to a nandroid.....

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
You can now go back to stock even if you forget to make a backup of your stock rom. It's as simple as booting into recovery and applying this zip file.

maderstcok - OTA 2.3.340 update.zip

Once back to stock, any OTA update pushed by Verizon will be sent to your phone.

this method works very well to get back to 100% out of the box stock if you didn't make or lost your backup.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I've tried to use bootsrtap and cwm to go back to the stock dx rom but it fails every time is it the file? does anyone hve a method to go back to stock? I want to flash liberty but my fission and themed dx wont flash.

What was the error you got when you attempt to recover?

darthchaz

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
brick

my DX was stuck in a bootloader 30.04, somehow.... after the battery died and i charged it the phone booted into koush and i was able to get it to restore to a backup of fission. i've seen something about deleting cache. am i missing some steps?

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
once you get into bootstrapp recovery (aka clockworkmod) scroll down to backup and restore>restore> then flash your back up... if it fails then it probably wasnt backed up properly... so what i would do is search threads for flashing .sbf on droid x... its basically a stock rom and you would flash it just like any other custom rom... however when in CWM, always factory data reset, and wipe cache partition... just prevents and bugs.

when in CWM, you will also see options for factory data reset, and wiping cache partition
i always scroll down to advanced and wipe battery data, and clear delvik cache....