[ROM] rubiX Focused 2.0.1: UPDATED

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Original thread located here: rubiX Focused 2.0.1: UPDATED - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Thanks to @Drod2169 for his continued work on this.

Please read and follow the install instructions.

YOU MUST BE ON 2.3.340 OTA FOR THIS TO WORK
ALSO NOTE: IF YOU INSTALLED THE NEW TRANQUILITY, THE TOOLBOX WILL INSTALL UNLESS YOU SBF BEFORE INSTALL. THIS IS TRUE FOR ANY ROM, NOT JUST RUBIX.

IF YOU USED THE NEW SCRIPT, YOU MUST REBOOT AFTER INSTALL AND INITIAL SETUP
This script runs on first boot to scan the SDCard rubiX Folder for apps. If they are there, it copies them to /data/app and corrects their permissions. Reboot for this to take effect.

YOU MUST wipe data before install.

Change Log for 2.0.1
  • Adjusted scripts for better functionality and less errors.
  • Added the option to set whichever governor you'd like on boot (NOT TESTED)
  • To do this: use root explorer to get to /system/etc/init.d
    long press on 01cpu
    select open in text editor
    change the variables at the top
    ONDEMAND=1
    CONSERVATIVE=0
    INTERACTIVE=0
    is the stock setting. To set one at boot, simply change ONDEMAND to =0, and one of the other two to =1
  • Custom ringtone fix (credit to kejar31)
  • Potential Programming menu fix (someone test please, i'm not sure)

Change Log for 2.0:
  • Sysctl.conf adjustments:
  • Changed vm.dirty_background_ratio to 70 from 60
  • Added rm /dev/log/main for extra performance/free memory
  • Changed NO_NEW_FAIR_SLEEPERS to NO_FAIR_SLEEPERS; this was a typo, as there are no new fair sleepers in the dx kernel already.
  • Cleaned up the /system/app folder

The following market apps were further removed:
  • Talkback
  • Kickback
  • Soundback

SCRIPTS: Credit to Fabulous, JRummy, Sephtin and Drod.

Usage:
Open Terminal (download from market if you don't have it)
su to grant SuperUser access
command w/arguments
ie gallery -2d

• adblock: block or view ads
  • apps: run the script for directions. If you choose restore, you must reboot after for it to take effect
    backup: backs up all of your user apps. backup -bk is the correct way to run the script
  • calc: remove/restore the calculator
  • carhome: remove/restore the car home launcher
  • dxeye: remove/restore the DX LWP Please note that this is removed by default, and placed in /data/rubix run the script to restore.
  • email: remove/restore the email app
  • fixperm: fixes permissions (credit Koush)
  • gallery: switches between the 2D (credit to Cyanogen) and 3D AOSP Gallery
  • genie: remove/restore the news/weather app
  • office: remove/restore QuickOffice: Please note that this is removed by default, and placed in /data/rubix run the script to restore.
  • sys: write the system read/only (-ro) or read/write (-rw)
  • zipalign_apks: zipaligns all the apps in system. Unnecessary since this is ran on every boot!

Governors
Added new Interactive and Conservative kernel scaling governors (credit Milestone team)
This is a Droid X first. These two governors bring a big difference to the table; here is what they do:
(Credit Cyanogenmod GITHub for this, source is here: https://github.com/CyanogenMod/cm-ke.../governors.txt)

Interactive:
  • significantly more responsive to ramp cpu up when required (UI interaction)
  • more consistent ramping, existing governors do their cpu load sampling in a workqueue context, the 'interactive' governor does this in a timer context, which gives more consistent cpu load sampling.
  • higher priority for cpu frequency increase, rt_workqueue is used for scaling up, giving the remaining tasks the cpu performance benefit, unlike existing governors which schedule rampup work to occur after your performance starved tasks have completed.

Conservative:
The CPUfreq governor "conservative", much like the "ondemand" governor, sets the CPU depending on the current usage. It differs in behaviour in that it gracefully increases and decreases the CPU speed rather than jumping to max speed the moment there is any load on the CPU. This behaviour more suitable in a battery powered environment. The governor is tweaked in the same manner as the "ondemand" governor through sysfs with the addition of:

freq_step: this describes what percentage steps the cpu freq should be increased and decreased smoothly by. By default the cpu frequency will increase in 5% chunks of your maximum cpu frequency. You can change this value to anywhere between 0 and 100 where '0' will effectively lock your CPU at a speed regardless of its load whilst '100' will, in theory, make it behave identically to the "ondemand" governor.

down_threshold: same as the 'up_threshold' found for the "ondemand" governor but for the opposite direction. For example when set to its default value of '20' it means that if the CPU usage needs to be below 20% between samples to have the frequency decreased. Basically, this means more speed and battery life control

Adjusted 01cpu for a better sampling rate if the new conservative governor is found.
Added script: gov
gov allows you to control which governor you use; ondemand, conservative, or interactive. The function is:
gov -ondem for the ondemand governor
gov -cons for the conservative governor
gov -inter for the interactive governor
Alternately, these can be changed via SetCPU or Droid Overclock.

To remove data throttling, click this:
rubiX Focused 1.9.7, back and better than ever - Page 3 - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum
Credit to Plower.Net

How to install:
Download
Place on SDCard
Bootstrap Recovery via Bootstrap App
Reboot to Clockwork Mod Recovery
Wipe data/factory reset
Select install from sdcard
Choose zip from sdcard
select rubiXFocused2.0.zip
Select yes
Reboot
Enjoy!

Download from the original thread:
rubiX Focused 2.0.1: UPDATED - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Last edited:

Charlie03

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Cool man thanks for sharing. The link is working now. Gonna see if i can pull off a successful download from my wifi tether on my pc. For some reason its been sketchy lately. Do not know if its just my usb wifi. I know its off topic but anyone experience similar cut outs with wireless tether for root app.

Ive never used this rom if i can recall. Ha I believe its built from source, please correct me if Im wrong.

Last edited:

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have used the blurry version of rubix but not this one.Think tho I will check it out in a few days, Im on liberty 1.5 but I want the most AOSP rom out there for the X, that's still fully functional . :)

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I have used the blurry version of rubix but not this one.Think tho I will check it out in a few days, Im on liberty 1.5 but I want the most AOSP rom out there for the X, that's still fully functional . :)

I think that's rubiX but some may say Liberty.

drod mentioned that he will update blurry too, not sure when though.

SuperChargedJ

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I've never downloaded this ROM. Can anyone contrast this to Liberty and tell me where it is better?

I used Liberty for a long period of time and got some excellent speed, stability and responsiveness with it. But Rubix is definitely much faster, responsive and it is also extremely stable. For example, with QuickClock Advanced I was getting Underclocked speed of 900, Balanced at 1266, and High Speed at 1406. With Rubix it's 1139, 1366 and 1518 respectively. CRAZY speeds.

Liberty is great because it makes it easy to customize the phone and all of these fantastic settings built into the rom. Rubix is not as easy but if you are getting the hang of customizing your phone with Terminal Emulator, if you can follow the install instructions to a T from the Devs and use Bootstrap then it's well worth the download. The new governor from Rubix is a huge selling point and it adds to the overall greatness of this new rom.

If Google Liberty/Rubix2.0, you'll find more info out there. No matter which one you choose you can't go wrong either way.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
HOLY CRAP.

My phone is SCREAMING with this ROM. The transitions and animations are insanely fast and smooth. I used the QuickClock RubiX Overclock App to configure the best settings for my phone and it put me at 1265Mhz.

I ran Quadrant and check it out:

holycrapb.png

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
yup I get close to the same on benchmark 1757 is mine :)

edit: mine was 1236 confiqured by quickclock, changed to 1265 and got same as above

Last edited:

SuperChargedJ

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
HOLY CRAP.

My phone is SCREAMING with this ROM. The transitions and animations are insanely fast and smooth. I used the QuickClock RubiX Overclock App to configure the best settings for my phone and it put me at 1265Mhz.

I ran Quadrant and check it out:

holycrapb.png

If you want to pay the money, use Quickclock Advanced to underclock your settings as well. Even with underclocking, my phone still flies. I prefer this one over the QuickClock RubiX version. Thanks to Drod for making a great product.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
just a note about benchmarks like quadrant...
It's not a perfect indicator of one rom being "faster" than another.

I've had higher quadrant scores on other roms but they didn't "feel" faster to me. You really need to try the rom to determine if it's really "fast"

rubiX is definitely the best combinations of speed and stability I have seen in any rom. That's why I use it and the reason I mirror this thread for drod. I just want to get the word out about rubiX because it's a rom that I think doesn't get the press it should.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
If you want to pay the money, use Quickclock Advanced to underclock your settings as well. Even with underclocking, my phone still flies. I prefer this one over the QuickClock RubiX version. Thanks to Drod for making a great product.

Thanks. I'm already undervolting with jrummy's Droid Overclock, which I had before I got QuickClock RubiX.

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
flashed it, going to give it a shot... all i have used is are apex1.3, apex1.4, apex1.4.1, liberty1.0, liberty1.5... so this will be my first rubix rom... from what i hear, i should love it.

and this is a gingerbread based theme?

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
flashed it, going to give it a shot... all i have used is are apex1.3, apex1.4, apex1.4.1, liberty1.0, liberty1.5... so this will be my first rubix rom... from what i hear, i should love it.

and this is a gingerbread based theme?

all those other rom's are great. Actually started on apex then fission before running across rubiX.

correct, it's themed off of Gingerbread but for right now the guts are 2.2.1 (Froyo)

When/If Moto/VZW puts out Gingerbread then we might see a truly GB based rubiX version. All that depends on if drod has the time to port it that is.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non