Droid X Bootstrap Backup and Restore not working so good. Advice?

FlyingJ

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,

OK, I was experimenting after creating a backup with Droid X Bootstrap. to verify the restore process.

I rooted, and purchased the DX Bootstrap and then:

I retarted into the recovery and made a backup and saw nothing that looked odd.

I then deleted a shortcut to an app on a homescreen and then rebooted into recovery and went to restore the only backup image listed (I did not rename).

It kicked off ok but when restoring the data portion it hung on a particular file. Batt pull and manually restarted into recovery and tried again and still got stuck at that same data file (some hexidecimal name). Tried again and stuck on the same file.

Researched and saw that advanced restoring the different parts may work, and did boot, then system and tried to reboot normall and stuck at the red eye for about 7 minutes and figured no good so I tried to restore (advanced) all parts separately and still got stuck at the data restore at same file name.

So I am a little paranoid about messing with roms etc if I am going to have to re-SBF and rebuild this phone each time a restore/backup fails. Is this common?

Did I miss something with the process? Or is it best to do multiple backups in case of corruption?

Thanks!

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
It takes a while for these things to load. How long did you wait before you yanked the battery? And how did you get into recovery to start reloading the backup?

When you install and run bootstrap you are installing an alternate recovery, but there is the OEM recovery on your phone. ClockworkMod that installs with Bootrstrap is green, the OEM recovery is blue. I'm not sure that you can use the OEM recovery to load the backup you made in ClockworkMod via Bootstrap. You have to run Bootstrap to get around the factory blue recovery and get into the green ClockworkdMod recovery.

Is the phone currently usable and stable?

Last edited:

FlyingJ

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
It takes a while for these things to load. How long did you wait before you yanked the battery? And how did you get into recovery to start reloading the backup?

When you install and run bootstrap you are installing an alternate recovery, but there is the OEM recovery on your phone. ClockworkMod that installs with Bootrstrap is green, the OEM recovery is blue. I'm not sure that you can use the OEM recovery to load the backup you made in ClockworkMod via Bootstrap. You have to run Bootstrap to get around the factory blue recovery and get into the green ClockworkdMod recovery.

Is the phone currently usable and stable?

I waited about 45 minutes each time. First attempt was from DX Bootstrap. Then I had to pull batt and figured out how to get back to GREEN recovery to try again to restore. No problems to get to green recovery.

Did a full SBF wipe and then restored and then just to see if I could waste more time and money, I deleted that DXREcov backup file. Launched back into green mode, made another backup then tried again. 24 hours later I have had SBF failure, then recovered in blue (stock) hard reset. And now, as a bonus, when I restore titanium backup, my gmail will not sync.

Long story short, has anyone ever had any success with Droid X Recovery BOotstrap?

Thank you very much for your reply!

Frustrated DX...

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Bootstrap has worked just fine for me. That's the only way to load ROMs on the DX/D2 and there are plenty of folks that have done that.

I wonder if your backup was corrupt or incomplete.

I'm also not sure how to help since you've bounced back and forth between two recoveries and have SBF'd twice.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Long story short, has anyone ever had any success with Droid X Recovery BOotstrap?

Thank you very much for your reply!

Frustrated DX...

You're doing something wrong along the way... you can flash the Maderstcok .zip(first post in the link below) to get you back to Verizons factory settings for now.

When you're ready to try rooting again, watch the videos and make sure you're not missing a step. Both Rom Manager and Bootstrap work just fine for flashing roms to the DroidX.
http://forum.androidcentral.com/mot...ooting-backing-up-installing-custom-roms.html

Reactions: FlyingJ

FlyingJ

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
You're doing something wrong along the way... you can flash the Maderstcok .zip(first post in the link below) to get you back to Verizons factory settings for now.

When you're ready to try rooting again, watch the videos and make sure you're not missing a step. Both Rom Manager and Bootstrap work just fine for flashing roms to the DroidX.
http://forum.androidcentral.com/mot...ooting-backing-up-installing-custom-roms.html

Thanks for getting back to me. What I was testing was DX Bootstrap's backup and restore function before I started trying new rom's. That's what I have had fail two times. I just watched the video of how to flash w/bootstrap and see that the user cleared everything before proceeding. For doing a restore is that what needs to be done?

I ask because I was reading a tutorial saying "test the retore by removing a homescreen icon and then just restart into (green) recovery and then simply goto restore and voila, your icon will be back just the way it was".

So, here's what I did and maybe (after watching the rom flashing vid) I did not take all steps...

Root and titanium backup and install DXBRecovery.

Run dxbr and press top bootstrap recovery icon and get the ok
reboot phone into recovery
then goto backup/restore and create backup. (plenty of card space)
restart phone and then remove a home screen shortcut. (wordfeud to be exact :))
run dxbr and then
reboot phone to recovery
goto backup/restore and try to restore
restore hangs at a particular data file, each time 3x for two different backup attemts (after sbk restore process.)

So, should I do all of that clearing done in the video before a restore?
Am I missing something?
I'd love to figure this out so I can restore a state easily (though I have gotten much better at the restore with Ti backup but still a pain.)
That way I can play with this DX of mine!

Thanks so much for your help!

Justin

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Yes, you should always wipe the Data/Cache before flashing a new rom or reverting to a backup. (In certain cases you necessarily don't have to if it's the same exact rom. Ex.. going from rom xxxx 1.2 to rom xxxx 1.3 but it never hurts to do it anyways)

FlyingJ

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Thank you. I am seeing other threads with people having the same issue even with clearing and wiping data and still getting hung on a bootstrap restore. I may wait to see light at the end of that tunnel (restore) before I try that agian. Meanwhile I am happily rooted with bloatware gone, and better backups!

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol