Lock bootloader!

Jussumguy88

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
So now that we know that Motorola's bootloader hasn't been cracked do u believe that it will be anytime soon? And if not does that effect your decision in the next phone that u purchase?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

CitiDB

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Maybe Anonymous will hack the hell out of Motorola and hold their information hostage until the bootloader is unlocked.

It is the only chance we have, and seems highly unlikely. One more year until I pick up an HTC device

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm not planning on buying any device in the future that has a locked bootloader. But that decision is based on nothing but principle. I believe I should be able to access every part of the phone if I want to and I don't want to give my money to any company that doesn't share that belief, at least unofficially.

That being said, the DX has always been and will continue to be a great phone. I really don't know how much better it could be if the bootloader was unlocked but that's also the kinda thing where you don't know what you don't know. It probably would have been much easier for devs to create ROMs but they did a killer job despite that.

I'm liking HTC right now...but Nexus S 4G on Sprint is starting to look interesting too.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm not really sure right now because even with the locked bootloader, the Droid X is an awesome phone. I'll have to see what my options are next March when it's time for me to upgrade.

One thing I do know is that if Verizon were to get the next Nexus phone end of this year/beginning of next, I'll most likely go with that.

rgray331975

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I really love my x, but I don't think I can go back to a locked bootloader after my upgrade just out of principal

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yup I wont buy another phone thats locked like the dx currently still is . Too many other phones to go with that are not locked down

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
It sounds rough but it really comes down to design of the phone. I like the DX and although I do not feel like I bought the phone since it's locked, I still love the device.

Chances are, I might end up with the Bionic and it will be locked. But I still like the Bionic.

Jussumguy88

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I get another update in June....I think i might be putting the Droid X down...as much as I Love this phone, I can't help but feel like I'm being limited...

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Ha, I forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me!

That's why I have it in my sig. I don't ever want to forget. I love Moto's builds and design. The hardware is really top notch. And even though it may be one person's stupid mistake that made that post, I don't want to forget it.

In this industry, it's innovation and new thinking that keeps great devices and software rolling out. This ethos, that has driven companies like HTC, Android, Nvidia and Samsung to the top of the game, is what we need to keep getting new technology and toys. Saying something like "we will continue with what's working" is not the right mentality. That doesn't allow for growth. If this was the mindset in the tech industry, there would be no Handcent, there would be no ADW/Launcher Pro. The "hey, let's try something different, let's take a new angle" attitude is what will keep not only us above average users buying, but also the average user who don't care about rooting much less a locked bootloader.

One of the most important lessons of business I've learned, is that anywhere there is a market someone will fill that need. There is small, I mean small, market of smartphone users that want to be able to hack and tweak every last bit of their smartphone. That's us. If Moto decides not to build products for that market, someone else will. And though we represent a small dollar amount, we have a sizeable influence on the larger market. I'm sure many of us on this board are the "Android guy" at work. We know the cool new apps, we know all the news a day ahead, we know the neat setting changes that other people see and want. When we suggest a phone, or are even seen using a phone, we influence those around us in the market that aren't looking for root or ROM's. If they want the latest, most awesome Android phone, they'll ask us for recommendations.

Last edited:

SYL

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Well said .46caliber, I personally am probably going to ditch Motorola for my next phone. My DX build quality and battery life is excellent and top notch, but the locked bootloader really limits my interests.
The reason PC's last so long is because we can mod the heck out of it, extending the life through community support, etc. You don't see Apple or Microsoft locking down your processor, forcing it to run a specific OS. What's the difference with smartphones? Nothing! Android is Linux!

Well, supposedly as P3Droid states, Gingerbread will come for the DX soon (hopefully its not another joke :) ). If that does happen, I will probably stick with my DX for a while. Though never again… will I ever buy a locked phone

Last edited:

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Well said .46caliber, I personally am probably going to ditch Motorola for my next phone. My DX build quality and battery life is excellent and top notch, but the locked bootloader really limits my interests.
The reason PC's last so long is because we can mod the heck out of it, extending the life through community support, etc. You don't see Apple or Microsoft locking down your processor, forcing it to run a specific OS. What's the difference with smartphones? Nothing! Android is Linux!

Well, supposedly as P3Droid states, Gingerbread will come for the DX soon (hopefully its not another joke :) ). If that does happen, I will probably stick with my DX for a while. Though never again? will I ever buy a locked phone

I've got two Motorolas, so next time I will try something else. I've got my eye on HTC. The Thunderbolt is very tempting, but I may also wait to see what they come out with as far as dual-core for Verizon.

Jussumguy88

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
.46 caliber I applaud u on what I believe is a wonderful post. My cousin and I were literally just talking about how out it everyone we know with android phones we're the only ones who care about rooting, overclocking, Roms and things like that. But what u said was so right because when everyone was looking for a new phone they always took OUR advice. Lol.

what I can't, for the life of me understand, is....the motorola xoom is unlocked right? Y not lock it down like the rest of your products? And if you're open to unlocking that product...why not the rest?

Either way when my upgrade comes back around, although I wont NEED a need one because the DX IS a wonderful device I think I certainly will be looking into a new phone and I believe I will be looking in the direction of HTC.

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Leaving the Xoom unlocked could have been for half a dozen different reasons. It could have been a time constraint, they wanted to get the device out and started picking things they could live without for sake of an earlier release.

My gut tells me, it was for the sake of development. There's a bunch of new stuff with the Xoom. Honeycomb, Tegra 2, and 10 inch screen. That's 3 big changes over what we currently have in the world of Android.

No one will use a device if it doesn't have supported Apps. They might have left it unlocked to make it easier on Devs to build and update apps that will support those big changes.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Leaving the Xoom unlocked could have been for half a dozen different reasons. It could have been a time constraint, they wanted to get the device out and started picking things they could live without for sake of an earlier release.

My gut tells me, it was for the sake of development. There's a bunch of new stuff with the Xoom. Honeycomb, Tegra 2, and 10 inch screen. That's 3 big changes over what we currently have in the world of Android.

No one will use a device if it doesn't have supported Apps. They might have left it unlocked to make it easier on Devs to build and update apps that will support those big changes.

I think also some of the XOOM being unlocked is that it's considered a "Pure Google" device. Who knows what stipulations that comes along with.

Jussumguy88

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I am personally liking the Incredible S, as soon as it's available on verizon :)

Funny u say that because I was looking at the incredible while I was trying to decide which phone I wanted. It ended up being between the droid x and the incredible. The incredible s is suppose to come out when?

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
When I got my DX I didn't even know what a bootloader was. I just needed something new cause I was about to run my Storm over with my car. I will not buy another Moto unless it can be unlocked. Sad to say cause I love my DX, have to do what I have to do!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome