What Made You Root...

Sithlrdvad

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Ok new guy here...

Just like the tittle says, what made you root?

I been playing with the idea of rooting my X for the past week, and I read on this website "Don't root just for the sake of rooting".

My X works fine, other than the battery life, right now I am running ADW Ex with the Honeycomb theme with WidgetLocker.

I had my X for at least 2 months now and I been reading that with this ROM's such as Liberty and Rubix my battery life and speed might improve.

Sooo...what made you Root?

And I just thought of a 2nd question, sorry: If you root, can you still get OTA updates, meaning if, we ever do, get Gingerbread on our devices, can Root devices get it?

Again...Thank you!!

Last edited:

Ace4

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
So I could use Titanium Backup to freeze some of the bloatware initially, as well as increase the memory minfree. Then later I tried out some different ROMs.

Reactions: Sithlrdvad

Sithlrdvad

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Thank you Ace.

Digital and Jersey I see guys on all searches with helpful information.

Last question, I'm thinking of trying Rubix as my 1st rom, will swype still work with this rom?

Thank you.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I rooted mainly to do screenshots and to be able to disable the pre-installed bloat. Eventually, I started hacking the boot animation. Now I'm running ROMs.

Oh, and Swype is installed with RubiX.

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I'll echo what others said. First reason was screenshots in order to participate in our nifty thread. Then came freezing bloat and WiFi tether.

Eventually the overclocking and ROM bug bit.

Sithlrdvad

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Well thank you all. I think I will be Rooting right now...1st I will be watching the videos posted on this Forum on the How To Thread.

Again thank you!! Really nice helpful forum.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
For rooting, just google z4 root and download it, then install it then find the app and open it and click permanent root. Follow on screen instructions and your done.

Overclock is good but you just have to be very careful not to do too much or else you can mess up your phone.

Sithlrdvad

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
For rooting, just google z4 root and download it, then install it then find the app and open it and click permanent root. Follow on screen instructions and your done.

Overclock is good but you just have to be very careful not to do too much or else you can mess up your phone.

Got z4 on my PC. Got Astro on my X. Doing the next step.

Quick question while I do it...

And sorry to sound like a noob: What's Overclock on a nutshell and why people do it? A link with all of that info will be appreciated or I can just search after I am done with the X...

The main reason I am doing the Root is to stop the Verizon trash. And getting a Rom to make my cell more efficient plus getting better battery life.

Thank you!!

Sithlrdvad

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
ok got the Z4 file on my Download folder, installed it...clicked Root...and so far it's been stuck on the blue screen that has a circle and the bottom "Running exploit in order to to obtain root access" for at least 3 minutes...

So...should I be worried?

Sithlrdvad

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Nevermind...got nervous like a rookie...I am rooted ladies and gentlemen!!!

Now to use the search feature to find out how to get free hot spot access, how to installed Rubix and more modding!!...but before that: Titanium Backup.

Thank you everybody for your input

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Before anything, Titanium Backup and/or bootstrap.

Look in the market for wifi tether for root users.

There is no need to overclock at all. Out of the box, it might be slow but using Titanium Backup and freezing apps, it helps speed up the device.

I have frozen amazon apps, cityid, backup assistant, vpn, quick office and so on. All apps that I never use. I have my device underclocked to 800mhz and it runs as good as it did out of the box at 1ghz with all those apps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac