Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default P3Droid's Cat is out of the BAG!

P3Droid has released the information he has been sitting on for months regarding bootloaders, manufactures and carriers. It would serve you well to go over to MDW and read it in the "rumors" thread.

I have tried to gently warn ppl on this forum that this was coming...the end of our rooting days is here.

Droid Charge
    There is nothing constant but change.

bah
    it's not illegal to root your phone. (so let them "track me" idc)
    if moto doesn't unlock their bootloaders (which they have, look at the xoom)
    then people will just spend their money elsewhere.

I know p3droid has done a lot for the community, but i think this "secret information" is silly and there was NO REASON to sit on any of that.

we will continue to see open phones. we may just have to buy another device.

The Xoom is unlockable because it is considered a developer device.

This is industry-wide and covers multiple carriers -- people won't have many, if any, places to choose if they want to spend money on hardware that is open.

And it may not be illegal to root your phone, but depending on what is said in the contract (don't know, haven't checked), they may not have to provide you any service.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,512 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

its coming stop living on the dark ages. its not Motorola but the carriers are asking for this. it was on G2 tmo TB VZW evo Sprint atrix ATT you see a pattern there all locked phones and new phones. can it be hacked sure is it legal sure is ok for the carriers to denie service to those rooted phones sure is ok to track trace tethering and charge sure. welcome to 2011

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...

you guys can buy into the roof is on fire theory if you want.
    but verizon is the carrier who said we will provide service to ANY device that is capable of running on our network.

they want our money, kicking us off the network for rooting will put our dollars in sprint's pocket. SOMEONE will take our money and not give a **** if we root.
    it's not in the industry's best interest to shut us down,
    I don't for 1 second think any of this will prevent us for enjoying our phones

The Xoom is unlockable because it is considered a developer device.
    considered by whom? the xoom is being sold in every store to anyone who walks by
    it's being mass marketed to the public, i see at least 10 xoom commercials a day..
    surely they are not advertising only to those whom are developers?
    Last edited by dvader; 04-02-2011 at 09:48 PM.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

We all knew there would be those that won't or can't believe this information. It is there for you to either be warned or not. Your choice.

Tracking rooted devices made by various manufacturers/carriers has already been tested and succeeded. There will be no where to turn to if you want an android device on any carrier. This was a joint carrier project. Like it or not, it is reality.

When you notice your data connection is slower or is hard to connect, or is out much of the time, etc. or non-existent then perhaps you will pay attention.

I will more than likely have to sbf back to an un-rooted device. End of story. Oh, and there is a failsafe built into this security OS...if certain files are removed, it will automatically render your device unusable on your carrier. So, don't look for a hack around this anytime soon. if at all.

It is my understanding that all new devices have this added security. In addition, any new updates to the OS will also have it imbedded.

This is an "industry-wide" effort, not tied to any one carrier or manufacturer. Google themselves are part of it.
    Droid Charge

ROM
    Liquid Smooth JB Beta 2

I read the emails ATT sent out to their customers(might have even posted it here somewhere) that they found out were using wireless tether. Like they used to say in computer classes. If someone makes something, and someone else tries to change it, someone has already has a back up plan in place. Strategizing by carriers is one of the most lucrative divisions to be in with any of them. I know this because one of my current employees is a former ATT "individual" and he has seen this tactic even before we were born. We are lucky so far how far we have all come with our devices. When our time comes, hopefully we will already be aware of the next big thing so we have something to land on.
    Yea, I'm still rockin' a Gnex. The signal strength/quality sucks, but hey, it's not two years old yet.

Quote Originally Posted by derpudel View Post
    We all knew there would be those that won't or can't believe this information. It is there for you to either be warned or not. Your choice.

Tracking rooted devices made by various manufacturers/carriers has already been tested and succeeded. There will be no where to turn to if you want an android device on any carrier. This was a joint carrier project. Like it or not, it is reality.

When you notice your data connection is slower or is hard to connect, or is out much of the time, etc. or non-existent then perhaps you will pay attention.

I will more than likely have to sbf back to an un-rooted device. End of story. Oh, and there is a failsafe built into this security OS...if certain files are removed, it will automatically render your device unusable on your carrier. So, don't look for a hack around this anytime soon. if at all.

It is my understanding that all new devices have this added security. In addition, any new updates to the OS will also have it imbedded.

This is an "industry-wide" effort, not tied to any one carrier or manufacturer. Google themselves are part of it.
    can you please point me in the direction for proof of any of this, other than p3 saying so?

Quote Originally Posted by dvader View Post
    can you please point me in the direction for proof of any of this, other than p3 saying so?
    You don't believe that Verizon is not the only company involved in this? What about all those text messages going out to AT&T iPhone users informing them that they needed to subscribe to a tethering plan because they were illegally tethering?

ROM
    Liquid Smooth JB Beta 2

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    You don't believe that Verizon is not the only company involved in this? What about all those text messages going out to AT&T iPhone users informing them that they needed to subscribe to a tethering plan because they were illegally tethering?
    Well all carriers monitor their networks and usage levels because well hey, someone has to pay for the technology and support. So it appears ATT in this example, was bothered enough by the topic and I'm sure they have people in our crowds listening and watching like little spies, was noticing usage level changes but no money in exchange. Who knows maybe us VZW customers will be getting this info soon in a nice little text or email. Or, if we just nibble at the cake instead of gorging on it, we can extend our freedom a lil longer. Like I fully pay $80 a month for the 10gb 4g usb modem so I can be online at work, BUT I go thru that ten gigs before the usage cycle is up. SO I have wireless tether to carry me thru the final week instead of the whole month.

Oh and if there are any verizon spies reading this right now....Ahoy Matey.
    Yea, I'm still rockin' a Gnex. The signal strength/quality sucks, but hey, it's not two years old yet.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Unfortunately, I cannot. Which is one reason he was sitting on it for so long. To provide the sources would jeopardize jobs. All I can tell you is this comes from multiple resources, all confirming the same facts. The data-collecting work has been underway for nearly a year. The project itself, came to testing and fruition just recently.

The veracity of the information is rock-solid. The evidence of such has been experienced by those who have applied the recent leak of GB and tried to tether using known methods, with no success. Each effort resulted in their being taken to the Vzn tethering site to sign up for their mobile hotspot service.

There *is* a new file available that will allow a work-around to tether, however this does not change the tracking/monitoring feature, which will at some point result in denial of network service at some level. Either with throttling or a complete lack of network. The timing of when this will occur is unknown.

The ultimate proof will come with the effects felt by each user. I'm sorry for all of us, but the abuses from some (not all) in the community have brought all this about.
    Droid Charge

ROM
    Liquid Smooth JB Beta 2

Maybe those of us, that were rooted, and using tether before this recent awareness will be at the back of the line and not seen as much as newer folk. That is if this all comes to fruition in our device's time.
    BEACH BUM

Global Posts
    1,947 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

however this does not change the tracking/monitoring feature
    With regards to the "tracking/monitoring" is this a feature that is currently on, for Example "Froyo" or is this being implemented on newer phones such as the Atrix, Thunderbolt, the new leaked GB?

Unfortunately, I cannot. Which is one reason he was sitting on it for so long. To provide the sources would jeopardize jobs. All I can tell you is this comes from multiple resources, all confirming the same facts. The data-collecting work has been underway for nearly a year. The project itself, came to testing and fruition just recently.
    so you have no proof.

The veracity of the information is rock-solid.
    really?

Quote Originally Posted by p3droid
    and do I want to give information out that could possible be slightly wrong
    p3 has 2nd hand info and no proof AND "could possibly be wrong"

it doesn't make any sense for verizon to drive people off the network, it is not going to make them money doing that.

So everyone can get scared and sbf back to stock
    but i'm going to continue to enjoy GB

for the record, i'm not saying p3 is being dishonest, I just think that rumors are false until they are proven.
    maybe he has some people telling him stuff.. who knows (none of us do)
    but until the verizon police come knocking at my door. i'm going to keep on doing what i do.
    i don't teather. but i do root and modify. and that's not illegal
    Last edited by dvader; 04-02-2011 at 11:43 PM.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Babalu View Post
    With regards to the "tracking/monitoring" is this a feature that is currently on, for Example "Froyo" or is this being implemented on newer phones such as the Atrix, Thunderbolt, the new leaked GB?
    As far as I know, this only affects new devices and new os updates.
    Droid Charge
    Thanked by:
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

How does one prove anything like this? A letter from Andy Rubin himself wouldn't be good enough for some.

It sucks, but there it is.

Actually, time will be the proof. Or perhaps an announcement by the carriers. All will be clear in next couple of months. I knew some would doubt. I wish none of this were true.
    Droid Charge

If verizon comes out and says "if you root, we are kicking you off the network" or something along those lines.. well then, it's certainly proof enough.
    but I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen.

You seem to have inside information, beyond what p3 has posted.
    at least thats the feeling i'm getting from your comments.
    if so, speak on it!

has p3 done good things for the community, certainly. that's not in question.
    but he said, he has heard some stuff.. and great.. i believe he probably has.
    but that doesn't make it a 100% fact going to happen.
    he even posted, "it could possibly be wrong"

so i don't get why everyone is running for cover.
    MacGyver Wannabe

1) Google could stop all this nonsense if they didn't allow carriers to modify the source code. Google provides for wi-fi tethering in stock Android. They need to resolve the issue with carriers.

2) A massive class-action lawsuit would result if the phone companies took any of the actions mentioned by PS3Droid. It would likely cause the courts to rule on the term "unlimited" and the phone carriers might be forced to allow free tethering.

For those reasons, I don't see anything changing in the near future.
    Thanked by 2:

the simple answer from the carriers will be: we're sorry, we are no longer able to offer your current plan due to system upgrades. please choose a new plan from the following choices....

exact thing happened to me as a 20 year att > cingular > att > cellular one customer!

still have my cingular unlimited data card....for now.

Sent via Tapatalk & Swype
    pardon me, i seem to have lost my mind in a reading comprehension accident...

ROM

If verizon comes out and says "if you root, we are kicking you off the network" or something along those lines.. well then, it's certainly proof enough.
    but I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen.

You seem to have inside information, beyond what p3 has posted.
    at least thats the feeling i'm getting from your comments.
    if so, speak on it!

has p3 done good things for the community, certainly. that's not in question.
    but he said, he has heard some stuff.. and great.. i believe he probably has.
    but that doesn't make it a 100% fact going to happen.
    he even posted, "it could possibly be wrong"

so i don't get why everyone is running for cover.
    No one is going to say "we're booting you form the network" all they'll do is throttle your access to the point where your device is useless and they'll keep collecting your monthly payments.

There may not be 100% hard proof out there but look at whats been happening recently. Motorola has locked their bootloaders, and HTC has also increased the difficulty of rooting their newer devices, and the biggest piece of proof is that AT&T has shown that it can track rooted devices. Again this isn't solid 100% proof but when you combine it with the word of a very respected, and trusted person like P3 then things come into focus. Also ask yourself do you really believe that the carriers are in favor of rooting? Allowing rooting on Android devices costs them money in warranty claims, and they are also losing cash on the tethering issues, plus preventing rooting allows the manufacturers to make a pretty penny as well since customers with phones that have reached end of life will be forced to upgrade instead of rooting and flashing a new kernel to their unsupported phone.

In this situation the only losers are the consumers, the carriers and manufacturers stand to make a big chunk of revenue back. All the evidence points to this being correct, in the end the bottom line is all that counts to these companies and eliminating rooting ensures a healthy bottom line so mark P3's words because you can bet that this is coming soon.

Well from the way I am understanding so far is if you are rooted on a new device or leaked software then it is too late. I am okay with Verizon knowing I am rooted. I paid full price for my TBOLT. I have not illegally used tether and don't plan on it. I just read from my phone. I hope they don't start restricting service though I have really picked up a enjoyable hobby in rooting and flashing roms. We will see if I have to I will revert to stock but I would really enjoy being able to customize my phone.
    Last edited by cloud36426; 04-03-2011 at 05:21 AM.
    Android Addict

Global Posts
    1,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS / Stock

I understand that people that don't know what they are doing with rooting are causing issues with warrenty claims. If they have to track who mods their phone so that it doesn't cost them on stupid claims I get it. Just give us the option.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I would love to see this challenged in a court. But read your TOS and weep. We would lose.

We own the devices, they own the network.

Repeat...this is industry-wide. Google is part of it.

Droid Charge
    Droiderator

ROM
    Bugless Nexus

Id love to say how I feel about p3 info and the gb leak but ill keep my mouth shut.... I do think carriers should protect their money and not let root users tether for free but locking down open Android is not the way. I dont know what is.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

We own the devices, they own the network.

Repeat...this is industry-wide. Google is part of it.

nobody is making changes to the network, we are making LEGAL changes to devices we legally own.

I believe p3 may know some inside verizon folks. he obviously has some sort of connections.
    I don't believe he has inside connections at google or any other cell carrier. (i've seen no evidence to suggest that)

just because HTC locked down a phone doesn't mean for a fact that it's "industry wide" and that "google is part of it"
    based on everything i've read i see no evidence of that what so ever. it's speculation to say any of that IMO.

IMO Verizon is not going to do anything to root users.
    they MAY go after users whom tether without paying.. i think that's BS, but i can see them maybe doing that.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast