Sync icon gone, 588 to 591 to 595

tucker973

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to pop in and mention this... I installed the .588 OTA leak "back in the day," no data wipe, and I had the permanent sync icon lighting up as many others have reported. I really didn't want to wipe and had no other issues, so I just dealt with it and learned to ignore it.

Yesterday, I went through the process of jumping to 595 via installing 591 first. Funny thing is, 591 still had the sync icon lit up. Figured I was going to have to deal with it until breaking down and doing a wipe. Went in, installed 595 over 591, and holy crap - no sync icon!

Not sure what Moto did in this build, if it was intentional, or if it just happened to be a side effect of all the installs, but I'm sitting pretty on 595 with no sync icon, no issues, and NO DATA WIPE. Happy camper here, absolutely love this build.

IkariWarrior

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
What method did you use to go from 588 to 595? I'm not rooted and running 588 but can't get Netflix running and won't be ready for the OTA update. I don't really want to root or get into complicated methods to get to 595.

tucker973

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
What method did you use to go from 588 to 595? I'm not rooted and running 588 but can't get Netflix running and won't be ready for the OTA update. I don't really want to root or get into complicated methods to get to 595.

I didn't want to go through the hassle either, but unfortunately that looks like the only way right now. Fortunately, I did find that it was quite a bit simpler than I expected overall.

Step 1 was getting rooted, which was a snap with GingerBreak 1.20:
[26.04.2011][v1.2] GingerBreak APK (root for GingerBread) - xda-developers

Read the detailed instructions, but basically, make sure you have USB debugging enabled, install the APK, run it, click a button, phone reboots, and it's rooted.

Step 2 was installing the Clockwork Recovery bootstrap for droid 2 (not X, most threads are careful to point out). You can find it in the market for two bucks, or you can do what I did and find it.... elsewhere. Unfortunately the links in the original post are no longer valid, but googling it didn't take very long.

Again, same sort of deal - you install it, click the top button (Recovery) and then when it's successful, click the bottom (Reboot) and it'll reboot into the bootstrap. I made a backup from there, and then I installed 591 without a hitch.

It may not actually be the case that you *have* to go to 591 first, but that seemed to be the general consensus, so I played it safe. Once you get running with 591, you basically have to do the GingerBreak and Clockwork Recovery again with the 595 update.

I installed the stock 595 package rather than the rooted/deodexed one, just because I tend to like to play it safe. It appears that GingerBreak doesn't currently work with 595, so I'm pretty much just running the stock, bloated, unrooted build, and I love it.

...and BTW, Netflix runs great on it. :)

Anway, was hesitant to go through it all myself, but as I looked into what exactly was involved I realized it wasn't as big a deal as I thought. In the end it was worth it for Netflix and to get rid of that ^&@#%$ sync icon.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
You have to clear data to resolve this, this has been the only way to help...
ClearDataandCache.gif

tucker973

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
You have to clear data to resolve this, this has been the only way to help...

I respectfully disagree, sir. Did you read my OP? I specifically wrote this post because I did NOT clear data. In fact, the only time I ever cleared data was pre-froyo in the early days of my phone, back in May or June 2010. The sync icon went away between .591 and .595.

I know there's no way to "prove" this to "nonbelievers," but I'm here telling ya the thing just went away after I jumped .591 to .595.