New to Rooting! need some advice.

Antob125

May 13, 2011
Visit site
So i have read through all the stickies referring to First Rooting your phone with Z4root (Correct?), and titanium backup, Rom manager, Bootstraper and so on. The only thing im having a tuff time understanding is which ROM name to chose and how do i know which is the latest number ROM out there currently. I have been reading through this site and watching a ton of youtube videos and still cant figure it out. If you can clarify it for me please help. Thanks!

P.S. My phone is a DROID X

Antob125

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Hmm Whats better and whats the difference? Just having trouble deciding which to pick. There are so many! And how do you know which number is the highest number? (I know that 595 is currently the highest only because ive seen it posted in every post)

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
You really should do some more reading before you jump into ROMs. You could rather easily end up with quite an expensive brick.

Get comfortable with rooting first before you start thinking about loading ROMs.

Antob125

May 13, 2011
Visit site
The rooting aspect sounds simple enough. My goal is to load the newest gingerbread that'd out there. There's just to many names to choose from. Is rom manager the way to go for a newb? I want to read more and research more I just things were a little clearer.

PortareAF

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like what you're looking for is not a custom Rom but the latest GB leak (.595), but i do recommend more reading before you attempt this...

Antob125

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Could you refer me to some topics or other forums to read more cause I think I've gone through all the stickies and still not understanding what the difference is between stock and custom roms. And which rom to pick since there are so many out there.

Sage_F

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Could you refer me to some topics or other forums to read more cause I think I've gone through all the stickies and still not understanding what the difference is between stock and custom roms. And which rom to pick since there are so many out there.

Ok it is all a bit overwhelming at first, been there. The major difference between Stock and Custom: Stock ROMS are built by multinational companies that do not have your best interests at heart. They take what Google gives them as open source and defile it with so much bloatware and affiliate programing.

Custom ROMS are built by the wonderful programmers that populate this community, wave to some of them because they do hold your best interests at heart. They make your phone work the way it was supposed to before the manufacturers and carriers decided to rape the programming.

On a serious note, everyone has the things they like and dislike for each category. The idea is to read any descriptions on what the ROM has that others don't. It is a lot of reading and pretty much all opinion. Read the steps to flashing ROMS and try them all out, I ended up going to Gingerbread .595 and froze all bloat. GB is great for me, exactly what I wanted currently. But Apex, Darkslide, Rubix, Liberty, & Tranquility are also great. i will give you my breakdown.

Apex: Super Vanilla Android - this is as close to what Google wanted you to see.
Darkslide: Super Clean - quick, responsive, and pretty.
Rubix: Super Stable with some Blur or none. Comes with quick clock(overclocker).
Liberty: Super Customization - if you can't do it with this ROM you probably just can't do it
Tranquility: I would say this is one of the best polished and sits squarely between Rubix and Liberty, good split of Stability and Customization.

Hope it gives you somewhere to start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781