Phone already has Gingerbread -- how to root?

jldeitch

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
My old Droid X freaked out and died a couple of days ago. Got a replacement and it immediately updated to Gingerbread. However, I hadn't had time to root it before the update went through (long story -- don't ask).

So now I've got the official Gingerbread running on my new/refurbished Droid X, but I've lost root.How do I get root running on this thing, short of having to SBF back to 340 and starting over? Just don't have that much time right now, and really miss being able to "freeze" the bloatware and block the ads.

Many thanks...

bmderuosi

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
what is the process after doing the SBF? I know how to do that easy enough, I then root (z4) and follow what instructions to get to the newest GB with root? I really can not stand the amount of bloat that is on this phone right now. Please help.

wormeyman

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
what is the process after doing the SBF? I know how to do that easy enough, I then root (z4) and follow what instructions to get to the newest GB with root? I really can not stand the amount of bloat that is on this phone right now. Please help.

instructions here: Official DX Gingerbread 2.3.3 (4.5.596) Release Thread - Something for everyone

basically root with z4root, install d2bootstrapper (not droidX), boot into recovery flash file1, flash file2, then reboot.

Reactions: bmderuosi

mikentammy610

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
My screen went, so my replacement had 596. I just sbf'd new phone to 340 installed P3 droids update files, rooted new phone, installed droid 2 bootstrapper, then ran nandroid backup of my previous phone that was stored on sd card. Then deodexed with 596 deodex zip...

Michael

steihlvoice

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Im in the same boat with a replacement DX that came with GB and I would like to keep from having to SBF. Has anyone had any luck using GingerBreak?