1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Xoom wins hands down...

Ok, I am a proud Xoom wifi owner. I've had the xoom for some months now, and every HC tab that has been released since has caught my eye. Mainly because these tabs are being hyped up so much now a days. However I have had the oppurtunity to have alot of hands on with the Acer and GT 10.1.

Compared to the Acer. They are pretty much the same. Sure with the Acer u have full size usb, but what makes the xoom better, xoom owners should know........ the pure Google experience which leads to faster updates..... and xoom screen looks better when compared side by side.

The Galaxy tab feels like cheap plastic to me... and the screen it not brighter, the colors are more saturated it seems.. when I compared wallpapers the the GT 10.1 looked over saturated... Xoom has the edge with SD card, and HDMI out.

Having the chance to experience those tabs makes me appreciate my xoom even more.... We made a Great purchase everyone 3.2 has been all we where missing.

Default Re: Xoom wins hands down...

I think the wifi Xoom is the best value out there right now. I'm not sure why people are still criticizing it. It has the same processor, more storage for the money, metal case, and gets OS updates quicker. Additionally, the SD slot is now finally working so its expandable. It's ridiculous that the tech press bashes the Xoom at this point.

The only thing that some of the other tabs have over the Xoom is screen quality so I have to disagree on the GT 10.1 screen--its by far brighter than the Xoom.

At any rate, in the coming months we've high resolution displays, tegra 3 processors and more models with built in cellular (LTE) data. It's really gonna be interesting to see everyone try to top one another.

I agree! I think the Xoom is a great device; especially since we will get all the Google updates first. As far as the screen goes; I use mine indoors all the time and would not want it to be any brighter. Sometimes the auto brightness does not give me what I want so I just manually increase the brightness and that is fine. The Xoom is a very well built and useful device. At some point I want to get a second tablet with a cellular data plan so I will be keeping my eye on all the new tablets as they come out. I would consider getting another Motorola tablet. I wonder when the carriers will offer family data plans with a data cap that all devices can share?
    Last edited by enjoylife949; 07-20-2011 at 01:10 PM.

My wife wants a tablet, and she's a big Toshiba fan, so was planning on getting the Thrive, But after going up and playing with it at Breastbuy, She's now interested in the Xoom, Having owned a Xoom since WiFi release day i love mine, the Galaxy comes in a close 2nd, but the others are lightyears behind! You think the Galaxy feels like cheap plastic, Go pick up a Thrive, the plastic 'Rubberized' Back is a joke!

I also had the wifi xoom since it came out and it came a long way since. it is a solid tablet all the way around. the rest of them are good but I'm going to put the xoom on top.

I should be purchasing a Xoom within this week once I get home.
    For a great price of $200. $100 Staples coupon and points from my credit cards.

I'm sick of looking at a ipod touch on a plane every week. Just hurts my neck and eyes. Time to upgrade and sell the ipod and get a nano since videos and music is all I do on the ipod.

I have played with GT10.1, Acer, Xoom, Thrive and Xformer. Overall, I like the build of the Xoom and it feels solid.
    Droid RAZR MAXX/Xoom/4510 LTE MiFi

Quote Originally Posted by dreT86 View Post

The Galaxy tab feels like cheap plastic to me... and the screen it not brighter, the colors are more saturated it seems.. when I compared wallpapers the the GT 10.1 looked over saturated... Xoom has the edge with SD card, and HDMI out.

Having the chance to experience those tabs makes me appreciate my xoom even more.... We made a Great purchase everyone 3.2 has been all we where missing.
    I don't care if you lie to yourself - but let's not just make up things so that other people buy a tablet under false pretenses.

The bolded statement above is simply not true. I'm doing a side-by-side comparison of the two right now with brightness at max, dead center and lowest settings - and in all cases the Galaxy Tab 10.1 screen is brighter.

The colors being "over saturated" (having an art degree makes me question just about every single instance of people using this expression and at the very least taking it with a grain of salt) - is a matter of personal taste - but I'll grant you that "more vibrant" is a more accurate description than "over saturated" - as there's no color bleed, no discernable loss of color clarity from dark's to lights - and while I'll grant you that the warmth of the colors might be tweaked a little high...I don't know that I'd go so far as to say it's over-saturated (like say SAMOLED screens might be described).

I'll absolutely agree that the Xoom has more ports, and if you plan on using those with any frequency, then it's probalby the smart choice for you. But I'll also tell you that the xoom on a long enough timescale is heavy enough that you'll notice it (like say...when using it as an eReader) - and you'll long for something lighter weight.

I've argued SD Card till I'm blue in the face - bottom line, if you need to have one installed in your device - you'll want a device that supports it (the Xoom does fit the bill here). I can't personally see having 30+ Gb of anything on my tablet at once (especially apps, where the largest footprint I've seen is around 200mb) - as I keep everything (pics/music/work docs) - on the cloud. If I do find that I need expanable storage - I'll get the cable for it when it comes out - but even with 40 or so games/apps installed - I've got something like 28gb free still.

Just my .02 cents

Jack

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10

I agree with SlackerJack on the quality of the screens, the Samsung screen is definitely better, hands down. And the Galaxy tab is super light and does look really good. That's why when i chose to buy my wife a tablet that's what I bought her. But I guess it comes down to opinion and what you are using it for bc I feel the Xoom is a more well rounded device. It is heavier but not unwieldly heavy by far unless you are maybe a child or a weakling. I read magazines and books with out any issue but I do agree in general lighter is preferred. I like the size and feel of the Xoom, its thicker and heavier but actually smaller in length with same screen size. Cloud storage is important and does kill the need to rely heavily on internal storage, however having a SD card slot is still very important especially for flashing roms. Also I recently took an 9hr flight and was without internet during many parts of my vacation and having an SD card slot filled with movies and such became invaluable. And Hdmi out to watch those movies on your TV or stream Netflix.You may not need it but its good to have when you do. My main reason is that the Xoom is a pure Google Experience Device, who will get all the updates first? Samsung? And what about this touchwiz skin on top of honeycomb? You can have all that. For my wife and many others the 10.1 is the best tablet for them. But I have to say the Xoom is better in general.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DroidNinja; 07-26-2011 at 06:42 AM.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by slackerjack View Post
    I don't care if you lie to yourself - but let's not just make up things so that other people buy a tablet under false pretenses.

The bolded statement above is simply not true. I'm doing a side-by-side comparison of the two right now with brightness at max, dead center and lowest settings - and in all cases the Galaxy Tab 10.1 screen is brighter.
    installed - I've go

Jack
    What are u talking about, lie to myself???? I simply posted how I FELT about MY purchase. And if one purchases the galaxy tab simply due to screen brightness well u got lost in the shock and aw process..The xoom has an authentic fell unlike samsungs 10.1 not to mention they have been borrowing designs from apple since the galaxy line of phones, which I own one.

This forum should be used as an area for android users and future android users to get an idea of what product they might want and what it has to offer. But for u to say I'm making a statement to get someone to purchase a tab is ridiculous.