Would you take a trade from VZW for a Samsung Tab 10.1

Would you take an offer from VZW to trade your Xoom..

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
If VZW offered, would you take an offer from VZW to trade your Xoom for a Tab due to the 4g upgrade fiasco?

The other tablets aren't perfect either, and have their own short-comings. Plus, 4G over 3G is, for the most part, only a marginal upgrade. Even if the promised LTE for Xoom had never materialized, I won't have trade my Xoom in just to get 4G (even full-sized SD and HDMI aren't huge incentives - it would have to be some clearly superior functionality).

Another consideration would have to be that I still have nearly a year and a half of being "grandfathered" under my current data contract (with the $35/3Gb) that I'd likely have to give up if I were to trade for another tablet (barring some promotional offer from VZ).

Tablets will likely continue to evolve and improve, and at some point I can foresee upgrading from the Xoom. But, for now, I'm going to wait for something much better, not something that's a marginal improvement (and debatably so, at that).

Maybe when they have a 3GHz quad-core w/ dedicated graphics sub-system, 128+ Gb on-board, and (if it's even possible to make) both resisitive and capacitive touch-screen functionality. [Okay, I admit it, I'm very demanding]

Jonno

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I would trade my Xoom for a Samsung Tab simply because of the better screen display. Also shipping with LTE starting tomorrow.

Reactions: Arun01

anon(386684)

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
The only advantage the Tab 10.1 has is that it currently can have LTE, and the display. Everything else about it is either equal (hardware specs) or less than what the Xoom has to offer. I wanted a Tab 10.1 when I first read about it, but the (******ed) decision to make a dongle for SD, HDMI, etc made me change my mind. I absolutely hated that with my Samsung Omnia back in the day, and now Samsung is pulling the same type of crap again. Honestly I don't think the display is that much better anyway - they look great in the showroom, but when you get home it's just way too bright.

snovguy

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
i'd trade in a heartbeat.
Samsung looks like they care at least a bit about taking care of their customers

As a matter of fact once they get them in stores, i'm going in to mine and make a case for why the should swap me for the tab

Carlesious

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Some of these tablets, in their quest to be as thin as the ipad, are trading convenience for thinness. Personally, I think the Xoom has the perfect combination of convenience (no dongle), and size. I dont need my tablet to be as thin and light as the ipad, because we know what the ipad sacrifices to get there.

jpprice

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I would do it without hesitation. In fact after playing with the Galaxy Tab I might just sell my Xoom and get one anyway.

Castorshells

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Never, I love my xoom and will always have it. It hurts my eyes to read that so many people would trade so quickly.

Android4Life!! Sent from my Kyocera Echo using Tapatalk.

Kyocera Echo source code released!!!

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
If VZW offered, would you take an offer from VZW to trade your Xoom for a Tab due to the 4g upgrade fiasco?
I might, but it really depends. If Google gets behind the Sammy Tab like they have with the Xoom then yes. But then again having a vanilla Android Experience is really nice. I have the Charge and really want a stable version of GB on it, but that Samsun overlay is really slow sometimes. So I will probably just go in and demand an in store credit or discout of some sort. If I walk in tomorrow and they offered me the sammy then and there, who knows? A bird in the hand...

danyzfr6

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I am pretty happy with the Xoom, especially with all the updates that have been released for it, so at this point, I would not trade my Xoom for the Galaxy 10.1.

After purchase support is important to me, so I'm gonna wait to see how often and quickly Samsung releases updates for their tablets before I would consider buying one.

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
i'd trade in a heartbeat.
Samsung looks like they care at least a bit about taking care of their customers

As a matter of fact once they get them in stores, i'm going in to mine and make a case for why the should swap me for the tab

But, what are the realistic chances that they're going to swap them for you?

And, if they won't, is the $729.99 price tag for the (32-Gb, for closer head-to-head comparison with the Xoom) Tab 10.1 worth the marginal improvement to 4G and the marginal improvement in screen brightness?

I think the better question to have asked would be if current 3G Xoom owners would want to pay the difference to get a different tablet, as Verizon has zero incentive to eat the cost of swapping thousands of new tablet for used ones.

I am pretty happy with the Xoom, especially with all the updates that have been released for it, so at this point, I would not trade my Xoom for the Galaxy 10.1.

After purchase support is important to me, so I'm gonna wait to see how often and quickly Samsung releases updates for their tablets before I would consider buying one.

I think the take-home lesson from the still-pending 3.2 update for 3G Xooms is that all updates involving wireless carrier android tablets is that they are always going to be three-way cluster-&*^%'s - Google, the hardware vender, and the wireless carrier all have to sign-off first. Thus, just as with Verizon holding up the 3.2 for Xooms, they are just as likely to do so for any other tablets, so while there is quite a bit of dissatisfaction with Motorola's performance as to the Xoom, it doesn't seem that Samsung will be able to do any better if updates get held up in testing by Verizon.

anon(194966)

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
If you did that's awesome. I had zero luck at the store this morning. Care to share how you convinced them?

The folks in the stores are useless, I've been on the phone with customer support. use the web site to initiate a trouble ticket so that it gets tracked. When they called me, I got nowhere with the first rep, they sent me a followup email to see if my problem was solved, replied that it was not and restated my issue... by the 3rd person, I believe I was escalated to a higher level... this guy gave me his direct line and email so I deal with him exclusively now.

The most important thing to remember is "you catch more flies with honey instead of vinegar"... never got angry at the tech, always addressed it as issues against VZW or Moto so it was like talking about a third party so they don't get defensive.

ADDED:
My storyline was also simple, when i emailed back, I included the link to the Press Release on VZW's website that says it would be upgraded in Q2, I told them that I was upset because I thought I was paying for the first 4g tablet, otherwise I would have waited and used a cheaper wifi tablet since I live in the NYC area and have access to 4g networks. I also mentioned that it was disappointing to read that the Tab was shipping with 4g before we knew what the story was.... also we talked about the lack of communications as well.

I never threatened to leave VZW (I still like their network better than anyone else, sometimes you need to pay for quality), plus I reiterated that I have been with VZW for years except when I had to be on a corp plan for a brief period.

Last edited:

snovguy

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
The folks in the stores are useless, I've been on the phone with customer support. use the web site to initiate a trouble ticket so that it gets tracked. When they called me, I got nowhere with the first rep, they sent me a followup email to see if my problem was solved, replied that it was not and restated my issue... by the 3rd person, I believe I was escalated to a higher level... this guy gave me his direct line and email so I deal with him exclusively now.

The most important thing to remember is "you catch more flies with honey instead of vinegar"... never got angry at the tech, always addressed it as issues against VZW or Moto so it was like talking about a third party so they don't get defensive.

ADDED:
My storyline was also simple, when i emailed back, I included the link to the Press Release on VZW's website that says it would be upgraded in Q2, I told them that I was upset because I thought I was paying for the first 4g tablet, otherwise I would have waited and used a cheaper wifi tablet since I live in the NYC area and have access to 4g networks. I also mentioned that it was disappointing to read that the Tab was shipping with 4g before we knew what the story was.... also we talked about the lack of communications as well.

I never threatened to leave VZW (I still like their network better than anyone else, sometimes you need to pay for quality), plus I reiterated that I have been with VZW for years except when I had to be on a corp plan for a brief period.
Thanks for the info, I will try that route next.

I agree about being nice. That didn't get me anywhere at the store but I did feel like the manager wanted to help me but thought that he could not.

Carlesious

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
It's kind of annoying listening to people complain about the update process for Android. People are so impatient that they either don't take the time to think about the process, or they don't have any idea whats involved. If an update was pushed to your phone as soon as Google made them available, I bet you think you'd be happy with that. But you aren't thinking about the fact that these Android phones all have different manufacturers and different carriers; each with different processors, radios, and other components, along with different networks. I can only imagine what kind of *****in and moanin some of you would be doing if they pushed an update to your device and something didn't work properly. And it's funny, because I bet some of the people that complain about that are some of the same ones that say Motorola sucks for releasing the Xoom without it being done, but yet you scream for these updates when they're not done. Bottom line is; if updates are that important to you, then maybe you should switch to using ios, apple only has to focus on two devices, iphone and ipad.

anon(194966)

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
It's kind of annoying listening to people complain about the update process for Android. People are so impatient that they either don't take the time to think about the process, or they don't have any idea whats involved. If an update was pushed to your phone as soon as Google made them available, I bet you think you'd be happy with that. But you aren't thinking about the fact that these Android phones all have different manufacturers and different carriers; each with different processors, radios, and other components, along with different networks. I can only imagine what kind of *****in and moanin some of you would be doing if they pushed an update to your device and something didn't work properly. And it's funny, because I bet some of the people that complain about that are some of the same ones that say Motorola sucks for releasing the Xoom without it being done, but yet you scream for these updates when they're not done. Bottom line is; if updates are that important to you, then maybe you should switch to using ios, apple only has to focus on two devices, iphone and ipad.

I think you must be talking about the wrong tread... I'm talking about a hardware update that was promised in a contractual way. I would not have been as disappointed if I got an email before the deadline of June 30th saying "due to engineering issues, we need to push back the deployment 3 months, here is how we are compensating you for our mistake"... instead, they let Samsung leapfrog them before sending out any communication. I am pretty certain this was all Moto's fault and VZW was stuck holding their pecker...

As for the updates from Google on Honeycomb... If that was the true problem then I would be an idiot for getting another Honeycomb tablet... it will be the same story with Samsung, I just want all that I purchased to work now.

Carlesious

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't talking particularly about the 4G hardware update, I agree that it could have been handled better, by keeping us better informed, I was mainly speaking about the Android updates that some people complain about.

Last edited:

snovguy

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

You know what else is annoying? Listening to someone pontificate about something that they don't have all the facts on or a material interest in. As in "you should have known", "all new products have issues" and on and on. If you don't like it, don't read it pretty simple. You can't say the title of my post was misleading...

The xoom was release before it was ready, with missing HARDWARE FUNCTIONALITY and Motorola at best has been less then forthcoming with it's customer and at worst has been outright lying to them