swype on 3.2 update

patchulaz

May 25, 2010
Visit site
so i went to install swype on my new xoom today, and the swype installer gave an error that said "unsupported screen size". i did some research, and found the following on the swype forum:

So, with 3.2, Android is now reporting the screen resolution differently. It used to report the full display size of the screen - 1280x800. Now, Android reports the screen resolution based on USABLE area (which does NOT include the "softkey" bar at the bottom of the screen). Our beta builds were designed to work with 1280x800, so when Android reports the screen size as something else it screws things up pretty badly. We map key locations and whatnot based on the screen resolution, so we need have pre-existing calibrations for all the various screen resolutions. Theoretically, it's just a matter of re-building for the new resolution, but we first need to look into how these changes were implemented by Google. Will the device always report 1280x752 (the resolution of the screen, minus the height of the softkey bar when in landscape) or will it sometimes report 1232x800 when in portrait mode? Things like that could cause us trouble. We're already looking into the problem, and will hopefully have more information on a new build that will work with 3.2 soon.

i just wanted to post that here, in case anyone else ran into the same problem. there are various other ways of installing current swype builds and "making them work", but the results will always be buggy.

Reactions: rcobourn

joansin

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
Awesome man... I have been getting problems with it on mine after the update but still am able to utilize it. Had a force close once as well... Love swype! Probably the only reason I'll continue to choose screen size over having a physical keyboard. Although the Droid 3 looks promising compared to my current X. Slightly smaller screen, but not by much. I believe I just got off topic! Balls!

bmderuosi

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
how well does swype work when in landscape mode? I imagine you can only use one hand like always. I have swype on my X and love it. But for the xoom I really love thumb keyboard amazing customization for two thumb typing.

sfdshop

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I am using swype in the small form and placed it to the left side in portrait and yes the warning comes up but it still works fine
Xoom

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I have Swype installed on my XOOM and it works great. I had it installed prior to the 3.2 update and it still works fine.

I don't hardly use it on the XOOM though. It is all I use on my Thunderbolt, but for the XOOM it's either Thumb Keyboard or it's the Motorola Bluetooth keyboard.