1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Motorola Xoom SD Card

I know the external SD card in the Xoom is read only, and you need a PC to move files to the card. Question is, once I move files, music, docs, etc to the card, how do I see them on the Xoom ? Example, Docs to Go, if I delete a file off the Xoom, but it is still on the external card, I cannot see that file in the documents area of DTG. What am I missing ? Can the Xoom read off the card, or is it currently just a pure storage device ? Where do I look on the Xoom to see exactly what resides on the Micro SD ?
    Last edited by Barryf111; 08-19-2011 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Duplicate
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Default Re: Motorola Xoom SD Card

Hi Barry - the best place to get an answer to your question is in the Xoom forum. Going to move it there for you. Have you downloaded a file explorer type of program from the market? Maybe that will help.

Default Re: Motorola Xoom SD Card

Quote Originally Posted by Barryf111 View Post
    I know the external SD card in the Xoom is read only, and you need a PC to move files to the card. Question is, once I move files, music, docs, etc to the card, how do I see them on the Xoom ? Example, Docs to Go, if I delete a file off the Xoom, but it is still on the external card, I cannot see that file in the documents area of DTG. What am I missing ? Can the Xoom read off the card, or is it currently just a pure storage device ? Where do I look on the Xoom to see exactly what resides on the Micro SD ?
    Hi Barryf111:

Like many android apps, Docs To Go hasn't been updated for how Honeycomb mounts the microSD card (at /mnt/External1). So D2G doesn't list (at least on my Xoom) anything on the microSD card.
    I have Estrongs ES File Explorer installed on my Xoom. I open ES File Explorer to navigate to
    /mnt/external1/my_docs
    or where ever your office docs are then
    touch the file you want to open.

The "Complete Action Using" dialog should appear and select the appropriate D2G item: "Word To Go", "Sheet To Go", etc.

Side note: If you do opt to install ES File Explorer you can also create a shortcut to a folder on your microSD card on your home screen(s). Just navigate in ES File Explorer to display the folder you want a shortcut to - then long touch the folder. An Operations dialog will appear - touch "Shortcut." I created one on mine to /mnt/external1 just to make accessing the read-only microSD card a bit faster.

Side note: I've read in numerous postings warnings about placing files in the root of the microSD card. Apparently audio/video files in particular may not play. I haven't confirmed, but just a heads up.