I got my Xoom upgraded to 4G, who else got there's?

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It will be 6 for me at the end of this week. Thats allowing them the holiday (Columbus day, I mean what factory closes for Columbus day?) and Saturday as "non business" days. I'm sure I will not be as calm about this if I dont have my Xoom back by then. The main reason I am not trying to get to worked up about is because I have this terrible feeling that this could spiral out of control and it could be a long while before we get our stuff back. I mean have any of you contemplated the possibility of multiple weeks, dare I say, months???? Reading this forum it seems like since the first few got their Xooms back NO ONE has received theirs, best I can tell. What happens if this turns into a REAL nightmare?

This is a big nightmare for me already.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
It will be 6 for me at the end of this week. Thats allowing them the holiday (Columbus day, I mean what factory closes for Columbus day?) and Saturday as "non business" days. I'm sure I will not be as calm about this if I dont have my Xoom back by then. The main reason I am not trying to get to worked up about is because I have this terrible feeling that this could spiral out of control and it could be a long while before we get our stuff back. I mean have any of you contemplated the possibility of multiple weeks, dare I say, months???? Reading this forum it seems like since the first few got their Xooms back NO ONE has received theirs, best I can tell. What happens if this turns into a REAL nightmare?

Class. Action. Lawsuit. :D Seriously if it goes into weeks or months then they are definitely going to have a lawsuit on their hands. I remember back when they were first talking about sending it in they were saying something like 6 weeks. That's what frightened me into doing it now. For the very reason that come December when I go on vacation, I don't want to be lugging my laptop with me. I was prepared for it to take longer than a few days. My gripes have been with the tracking and not knowing what the status actually is. It's disconcerting to not know where your 800 dollar device is...

Jack60123

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I was prepared for it to take longer than a few days. My gripes have been with the tracking and not knowing what the status actually is. It's disconcerting to not know where your 800 dollar device is...

I agree 100%.

What if there is some serious problem with the LTE radios that has just been discovered? Not something that would have been caught in testing, like say a design flaw, but something serious like some type of manufacturing problem? What if we all have to wait for some new batch of radios to be manufactured? Even worse, what if there was a manufacturing problem on our xooms, like with the slot the radio goes in, that would have never been discovered until now? I got my xoom on launch day. What if mine and others like it simply cannot be upgraded because of some crazy issue like that? I dont really think or know that anything like that is likely. I guess what I am trying to say is that given that those types of problems and delays are even possible is the reason I think we shouldnt be hitting the panic button just yet. Especially when really we are for the most part talking days overdue, at least at this point.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Class. Action. Lawsuit. :D Seriously if it goes into weeks or months then they are definitely going to have a lawsuit on their hands. I remember back when they were first talking about sending it in they were saying something like 6 weeks. That's what frightened me into doing it now. For the very reason that come December when I go on vacation, I don't want to be lugging my laptop with me. I was prepared for it to take longer than a few days. My gripes have been with the tracking and not knowing what the status actually is. It's disconcerting to not know where your 800 dollar device is...

They couldn't be upfront and honest with us as customers for something like that. Nobody would've agreed to having the loss of use for a device like this if they knew it was going to take 6 weeks. But, at least at this point for me, that is what it seems like I may be up against.

This is really an inexcusable situation to me.

bmhanson

May 20, 2010
Visit site
What if there is some serious problem with the LTE radios that has just been discovered? Not something that would have been caught in testing, like say a design flaw, but something serious like some type of manufacturing problem? What if we all have to wait for some new batch of radios to be manufactured?

I hope not since I am one of the ones who got theirs back last week.

grlla

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I agree 100%.

What if there is some serious problem with the LTE radios that has just been discovered? Not something that would have been caught in testing, like say a design flaw, but something serious like some type of manufacturing problem? What if we all have to wait for some new batch of radios to be manufactured? Even worse, what if there was a manufacturing problem on our xooms, like with the slot the radio goes in, that would have never been discovered until now? I got my xoom on launch day. What if mine and others like it simply cannot be upgraded because of some crazy issue like that? I dont really think or know that anything like that is likely. I guess what I am trying to say is that given that those types of problems and delays are even possible is the reason I think we shouldnt be hitting the panic button just yet. Especially when really we are for the most part talking days overdue, at least at this point.

I hope not...since Moto has had my XOOM since 10/7/11. :mad:

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I agree 100%.

I don't think it's anything like that. I think it's most likely they got so bombarded with incoming Xooms that they've had trouble managing incoming and outgoing queues. (With that tracking system of theirs, it's no wonder! :D) It's like a kitchen in a restaurant. They have the ability to handle X amount of capacity at a time. They expect orders to come in at a regular pace. If the wait staff slams them all at once, it screws everything up...incoming orders, outgoing orders, the whole process. The kitchen then goes into panic mode trying to get themselves out of the weeds. 10 to 1 that's what's really going on here. They don't whether they're coming or going right now and are in panic mode trying to get them shipped out so they can do the next wave. Like I said before, I REALLY feel bad for those that sent them in after us cause they're likely going to be even more screwed unless they miraculously manage to fix the deficiencies in their process. That's, uh, less likely. :D

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
They couldn't be upfront and honest with us as customers for something like that. Nobody would've agreed to having the loss of use for a device like this if they knew it was going to take 6 weeks. But, at least at this point for me, that is what it seems like I may be up against.

This is really an inexcusable situation to me.

The whole upgrade process just seems poorly thought out. From a design standpoint, if you knew the LTE radios weren't going to be ready, wouldn't you make a plugin module where the customer is shipped out a radio and a SIM and they can just slap the thing in themselves? Yea, it would have cost a bit more in design, but, jeeze by the time they're done they'll have more than lost the difference in good will and shipping costs. Not to mention paying whoever they have to open up the Xoom and upgrade them. A design change to allow a slide in module seems like a better deal to me. Oh well. Hindsight and all that. Here we are, getting our upgrades. Not as quickly or as smoothly as we'd like, but, at least we're getting them.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I hope not...since Moto has had my XOOM since 10/7/11. :mad:

You're one of the poor souls I'm talking about. I have nothing but pity for you. I really am sorry cause I expect your upgrade will take a bit longer thanks to the initial problems from last week and them now being backed up.

dwboston

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
No movement on my Xoom today. Yesterday showed "RMA Processed" with a SIM number on one site, and "Shipped" on the other site. No carrier or tracking number. No data usage on my device either.

9/29 Registered for Upgrade
10/3 Received Shipping Box
10/4 Shipped Box to CTDI
10/5 Box Delivered to CTDI
10/6 Moto shows Xoom Received
10/10 RMA Processed/SIM Number/Shipped
10/11 ?

The waiting continues.....

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
The whole upgrade process just seems poorly thought out. From a design standpoint, if you knew the LTE radios weren't going to be ready, wouldn't you make a plugin module where the customer is shipped out a radio and a SIM and they can just slap the thing in themselves? Yea, it would have cost a bit more in design, but, jeeze by the time they're done they'll have more than lost the difference in good will and shipping costs. Not to mention paying whoever they have to open up the Xoom and upgrade them. A design change to allow a slide in module seems like a better deal to me. Oh well. Hindsight and all that. Here we are, getting our upgrades. Not as quickly or as smoothly as we'd like, but, at least we're getting them.

It is a "plug-in" module that is easily installed. They just won't let us do the upgrade ourselves.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
It is a "plug-in" module that is easily installed. They just won't let us do the upgrade ourselves.

It's not, really, though. It requires unscrewing and opening the case. I'm thinking something more akin to installing the SIM or an SD card where you just slide it in, it locks in place, done. Nonetheless, it really doesn't matter now. This is the route they chose...much to our dismay.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Holy snikes. My order was just picked up and is in route! It will actually be here tomorrow!!!! I'm so happy!!!! Moto no longer has possession of my Xoom. Best...day...ever. LOL! :D

mloebl

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Holy snikes. My order was just picked up and is in route! It will actually be here tomorrow!!!! I'm so happy!!!! Moto no longer has possession of my Xoom. Best...day...ever. LOL! :D

I'm definitely envious! No new tracking number, and old one's still idle :(

-Mike

Kuro

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Holding at FedEx was not available on my package. Hopefully it will be for you.

It isn't an option for me either...

Or should I say wasn't. I just got off the phone with FedEx. I calmly explained to the first person that answered the phone I work during the week and will not take off work to receive a package. She apologized. She said I could schedule another delivery date. I explained unless they could deliver on a Sunday that wasn't an option either. She apologized. I explained to her if she apologized one more time to me for having a job and a work ethic, I'd be extremely insulted and would explain it to her supervisor. She apologized. I got transferred to Customer Escalations in Ohio.

Apparently the problem with holding them at FedEx is that there is no signature required for delivery. This is the first thing I can fault Motorola for during the entire process. The FedEx driver can perform a "Driver Release" at his discretion, leaving the package out of sight or with someone else because Motorola did not require a signature. Someone said that earlier but I didn't quite believe it. I explained to the 2nd person (also calmly) as the recipient of the package I did not care what the sender put as a requirement. And when their driver claims to have delivered the package and I do not receive it, they will be liable for the value of the package + loss of irreplaceable data (some of that pr0n is hard to find now) + my time + etc...

Package is going to be held at the local office now. And mine is showing Picked Up in Schaumburg, IL at 1430 today.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Good. I'm glad they're making progress for people. I'm really looking forward to getting mine back tomorrow. I very much want to put this experience behind me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87