Who is telling the lie?

Michael Alan Goff

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Skype says that Tegra 2 won't run Skype video and we all know NVidia actually posted a video saying the opposite even before some of the tablets came out.

Neither has backed off, so who is right?

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
My guess is that Skype won't program the necessary code into their programs so that the Tegra 2 chips will do video. So in fact they are both right

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft / Skype are the ones spinning the truth. There is absolutely no technical reason why the Tegra2 can not run Skype. It's simply a software porting issue. Microsoft/Skype is purposefully deciding not to support the Tegra2 processor.

This is a window of opportunity. For all intents and purposes, Microsoft/Skype has pointed a loaded gun at their own head. All Google has to do is reach over and pull by the trigger by releasing a finished video chat app.

Google needs to stop sitting on it's hands, withe regards to Google Talk. They need to integrate Google Talk into Google Voice and offer free video calling. Heck... if they aren't ready to merge the two, then just work on releasing Google Talk for all phones.

...and if Google did this, we would all see Skype supported on every platform under the Sun. Hopefully too late to stop Google from devastating their market share.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. Skype is the market leader. They are making a terrific business blunder right now. I'm surprised Google isn't taking advantage.

I am also somewhat surprised the other video chat apps aren't making noise and trying to eat market share. Perhaps the people behind those apps simply don't have the funds to launch an aggressive advertising campaign.

But getting back to Google... If Google would do a general release of Google Talk, Skype would suffer miserably and it would happen to them in very short order... probably faster than Skype could recover from.

Last edited:

OlReagan

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, Skype is synonymous with videochat these days, like "I'll skype you". This is like Google+ trying to overcome Facebook. Skype will eventually be forced into it but for now we are the minority.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, Skype is synonymous with videochat these days, like "I'll skype you". This is like Google+ trying to overcome Facebook. Skype will eventually be forced into it but for now we are the minority.
I don't agree with the Google+ / Facebook analogy. Those are two services, one entrenched, that are available to everyone.

On the other hand, there is an entire population that does not have access to Skype because of Skype/Microsoft's arrogance... they simply don't want to port it or more accurately, they want to delay the port (for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is Windows phone competition with Android).

People who use Skype simply want to video chat. If they find they can't video chat using Skype, but they can using Google Talk, that's what will happen... and it will happen fast. It's a case of not being able to do something and being able to do it. People pick the later.

That's why Google should work fast to make a general release of Google Talk. It's a window of opportunity.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Look, Android 2.3.4 and up supports Google Video Chat, so Google is not sitting on their hands. Its the same situation, I would use Google Talk but no one I know uses it, they use Aim or Skype... it's a shame it has to be like this but if the people at Skype don't want to or make an excuse to not release it on Tegra 2 devices, then that is how it has to be. Let's see their excuse for the next gen quad core processors.... maybe it's Microsoft's future tablet business they are trying to help....

Sent from my Xoom

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Look, Android 2.3.4 and up supports Google Video Chat, so Google is not sitting on their hands. Its the same situation, I would use Google Talk but no one I know uses it, they use Aim or Skype... it's a shame it has to be like this but if the people at Skype don't want to or make an excuse to not release it on Tegra 2 devices, then that is how it has to be. Let's see their excuse for the next gen quad core processors.... maybe it's Microsoft's future tablet business they are trying to help....

Sent from my Xoom
Off subject...
Is your avatar doing what I think she's doing? ...or do I just have a dirty mind and my eyes are playing tricks on me.

Tell me that's an inorganic instrument of some kind. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo