Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bmhanson
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Default Anybody else get this letter from Verizon?

Apparently 6 months after releasing the device Verizon has decided NOT to allow us to have extended warranties on our Xooms. We basically paid the same price as a moderately priced laptop for the things and now if something happens to the thing that is not damage or loss/theft after the first year we are completely out of luck or else we will have to physically damage the thing and file a warranty claim and pay the $129 deductible for the privilege or replacing the thing for something that was not even our faults. I'm almost afraid to send it to Motorola for the 4G upgrade now (whenever that finally happens) for fear they will mess something up inside and not being able to make them repair or replace the unit
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody else get this letter from Verizon?-img-20110926-00028.jpg   Anybody else get this letter from Verizon?-img-20110926-00027.jpg  
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison

Default Re: Anybody else get this letter from Verizon?

Not yet.....
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Live2ride883 View Post
    Not yet.....
    Did you sign up for Total Equipment Coverage on your XOOM?
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

I got mine. Looks like I a little bit of money back but it still sucks.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by tjlandberg View Post
    I got mine. Looks like I a little bit of money back but it still sucks.
    It'll be like $16 bucks who cares.. that's pocket change; the deductible on this device is $129 if you have a problem

Just to let people know. If you do have an issue with your Xoom while in the 1yr manufacturer warranty. Motorola gave me the option to replace my Xoom for $149 or something to that effect. I know because I was going to do a warranty replacement when I thought something was wrong with my charging light. I believe this was even if I physically damaged it myself.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Blazian View Post
    Just to let people know. If you do have an issue with your Xoom while in the 1yr manufacturer warranty. Motorola gave me the option to replace my Xoom for $149 or something to that effect. I know because I was going to do a warranty replacement when I thought something was wrong with my charging light. I believe this was even if I physically damaged it myself.
    Yeah but but that has nothing to do with us. We are paying for TEC so Verizon/Assurion will replace it. Now they are saying they will only replace it IF there is physical breakage or theft, internal component failure is no longer covered once the one year warranty is up. .

Quite frankly I think it is exceptionally unethical for VZW to sell an extended warranty and then yank it out from under the customer. And now the only recourse that a Xoom owner has if the thing craps out is to either just eat the entire thing or intentionally damage their unit (breaking the spirit, if not the letter, of the WPP agreement). If the mistake is yours then eat it and move on - that is the way it is supposed to work. You actually are supposed to pay for your mistakes, not find some way to pass the consequences to an some other party.
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by 0bfusc8 View Post
    Quite frankly I think it is exceptionally unethical for VZW to sell an extended warranty and then yank it out from under the customer. And now the only recourse that a Xoom owner has if the thing craps out is to either just eat the entire thing or intentionally damage their unit (breaking the spirit, if not the letter, of the WPP agreement). If the mistake is yours then eat it and move on - that is the way it is supposed to work. You actually are supposed to pay for your mistakes, not find some way to pass the consequences to an some other party.
    Absolutely, it IS unethical and possibly illegal (have to read the wording of the Assurion TOS), but somehow I doubt there is anything we can do about it. I'm guessing they have the right to revoke coverage as long as they give like 10 days notice or something and I am guessing that is what this letter is for (notice they are not removing it till October)

If I break the thing absolutely I will pay the deductible and get a replacement but if the fault isnt mine (ie internal component failure) then i should not have to pay just because I have had the unit over a year. Sometimes that doesn't happen during the first year.

** Superhero **

Global Posts
    2,017 Global Posts

First no LTE upgrade, then this?? What a kick in the balls. Thanks!

everyone that has TEC should go into a store with a dumb issue for replacement....
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    First no LTE upgrade, then this?? What a kick in the balls. Thanks!
    Actually it looks like we might finally get that LOL.... just in time for the Xoom2

Global Posts
    1,234 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ace Rom 1.7 / ACS 1.2

Screw vzw they cost to d*** much any ways

Theft eh? Could you tell them somebody stole yours and have them send you a replacement? I'll give ya $175... Profit!

Asurion is one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with. This does not surprise me.
    Motorola Droid Bionic 4g LTE - Motorola Xoom Tablet 4g LTE
    And yes, the SIM card from the Bionic works great in the Xoom!

Quote Originally Posted by freeky1 View Post
    Asurion is one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with. This does not surprise me.
    Except that Assurion only does the replacement for damaged or stolen and has nothing to do with the warranty part no longer being covered by Verizon.
    YourMobileGuru likes this.

I received this letter today. I guess if it fails after a year my device will magically get stolen.
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 Rooted
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 Rooted

Fast Speed 1Gbps Fiber optic Downloads. PM For more info
    PM for Passwords and Instructions (Included the Device you need help with)
    S4 Root/Restore Files - www.247xtreme.com/S4
    S3 Root/Restore Files - www.247xtreme.com/S3

Home Internet

4G LTE
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSorrow View Post
    I received this letter today. I guess if it fails after a year my device will magically get stolen.
    And you pay the $129 deductible for the privilege

Global Posts
    257 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VZWRocks View Post
    And you pay the $129 deductible for the privilege
    Not to mention going to jail for filing a false police report and insurance fraud. Worth the risk?

While it is disappointing to have the extended warranty yanked out from under us, there is a bright spot. Asurion does cover any type of occurrence not covered by the warranty. With that said, once you file a claim, the "lost" device becomes the property of Asurion. Asurion does warranty the replacement device for manufacturer defects. The first device sent will more than likely be a refurbished device. If that refurbished device does not perform to standard, you can contact Asurion again to complain and they are then required to send you a new device that has never been used. That device is then warrantied by Verizon Wireless for 1 full year.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by XOOMBEEZIE View Post
    While it is disappointing to have the extended warranty yanked out from under us, there is a bright spot. Asurion does cover any type of occurrence not covered by the warranty. With that said, once you file a claim, the "lost" device becomes the property of Asurion. Asurion does warranty the replacement device for manufacturer defects. The first device sent will more than likely be a refurbished device. If that refurbished device does not perform to standard, you can contact Asurion again to complain and they are then required to send you a new device that has never been used. That device is then warrantied by Verizon Wireless for 1 full year.
    But as stated above you have to PAY for the replacement device.

Quote Originally Posted by VZWRocks View Post
    But as stated above you have to PAY for the replacement device.
    You pay for the 1st replacdement but the warranty from Asurion you do not have to pay for. it is a warranty at this point not insurance. As long as there is no physical damage.