Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Xoom 2 or IPAD 2?

I am new to Tablets and need to purchase one by year end. Does anyone know if the Xoom 2 will be a 10 in screen and do you think its a smarter purchase than IPAD2. I will be using it to remote into my Workstation rather than carry a laptop.

I don't know, personally I would look closer at the eee pad transformer/slider or the new thinkpad beasties. The latter because of the bundled rdp client and the latter because of the keyboards. Rdp without a keyboard is really painful as I can attest to because I have been known to remote in to PC's via my phone. (A matter of what I have wihvme @ the time than a particular desire for self-punishment.)

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

Default Re: Xoom 2 or IPAD 2?

well most of us here bought the Xoom we have now over the ipad2 .... I thank that is all that needs to be said.

Of course you realize it is likely that by the time you are deciding between the iPad and Xoom 2 you likely will be looking at the iPad 3, right?

Also as stated those here pretty much chose the Xoom over the iPad 2. so if we were to compare the Xoom 2 (whatever the final specs may be) it is unlikely that many, if any, will chose the iPad 2. Given the time-frame of by the end of the year I feel confident that Xoom 2 will not be an option for you, but I could be wrong.

My recommendation for any tech purchase is always get the most you can afford that does what you want it to. If there are several int eh same range then you can really start comparing. Don't put too much worry into what is "just around the corner" because there is ALWAYS something just around the corner.

What features and capabilities are important to YOU. Which fits your needs better. Regardless of what some may say here, iPad is a decent piece of tech. It is very much oriented to the end user that is looking for a multi-media/entertainment device. It has Hulu, Netflix, etc already working on it and put out for it. If those are important to you then that is something to think about.

Personally I prefer Android. We have an iPad that my wife purchased from a friend needing the money. Generally it is used by the kids. It is just easier for them to use, not that they can't use my Xoom (if I would let them) My young nephew (3.5 or 4) tried to take it home after visiting for a couple weeks this summer. He got hooked on the Netflix app. I had gotten up around 3 PM one night to find he had gotten up, went and found the iPad, and was watching Netflix.

Global Posts
    652 Global Posts

If you need an answer now, I suppose it would have to be the iPad 2, since the Xoom 2 is not out yet. If you can wait until the holiday season, I'm sure some nice newer Android tablets will be available for your consideration.

I chose the Xoom over the iPad 2, so it only stands to reason that I would choose the Xoom 2 over the iPad 2. Apple has said that the iPad 3 would not be released until next spring, so I am thinking that when the Xoom 2 comes out, the iPad 2 will still be for sale.
    Motorola Droid Bionic 4g LTE - Motorola Xoom Tablet 4g LTE
    And yes, the SIM card from the Bionic works great in the Xoom!
    ** Superhero **

Global Posts
    2,039 Global Posts

If you are heavely invested in the Apple eco-system, then get the Apple product. But if you are not locked into that eco-system, then weigh your choices very carefully.

I love my Xoom, but when I got it, it was the only choice for a real android Tablet. There are lots more choices out there now.

Motorola knows how to build a solid piece of equipment, but there are lighter models out there that may work better for you.

Try them all out and see what works best for you.

Good luck!

Its all about personal preference. If you already have an android phone, I'd stick with android. If you have an iphone, get an IPAD.

I personally enjoy the android OS much better than Apple. Apple seems every limited.

I like widgets.

I also agree with everyone else. Its not an Xoom2 vs IPAD2 fight. It should be Xoom v. IPAD2.v. Galaxy 10.1 v whatever else strikes your fancy.