Prepaid Mobile Broadband Not allowed on Xoom?

DrWu

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Just got off the phone with Verizon Wireless trying to get a prepaid mobile broadplan activated on my Xoom now that I got it back from Motorola with the 4G upgrade.

According to the website they have prepaid mobile broadband plans for "tablets" that have no activation fees etc. So I call verizon get routed to the prepaid dept only to be told that the "prepaid plans are ONLY for ipad. too bad, so sad, transfering you to the post paid dept" So I get post paid on the phone and they're more than happy to activate the xoom for me for a $35 activation fee and sure I can cancel any time but I'll be subject to another activation fee when I want to activate in the future.

WTF?! Has anyone had any success activating a month to month plan with no activation fee for the Xoom?

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
This is the reason that I have never activated the mobile broadband on my Xoom and never will. I had the iPad for a year, and whenever I needed the 3G, I would activate it for a month. At the end of the month, I would decide if I wanted to continue the service or cancel it. Once it was cancelled, I could reactivate it at any time for another 30 days or until I reached the GB limit of my chosen plan.

Also, it could be activated and cancelled from the device itself without having to call AT&T each time. The process of activating and cancelling the Verizon service over the phone is ridiculous. It makes me mad that you can't even remove an insurance plan from a phone line without calling someone!

Last edited: