Torn between purchase of Xoom or Tab

nautcasprt6

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Newbie coming from Blackberry here and looking to get me a Android phone next week and a Tablet right after I get my phone which should be in 2 weeks.
Ive been researching alot and still unsure of which tablet to get.
For starters it has to be through Verizon (Im upgrading my current account) and it has to be 4G.
The only 2 that they offer is the Xoom and Tab 10.1 (I would get the Tab 7 inch, but its only 3G and not sure if the Plus will offer 4G)
After reading reviews it looks like both the Xoom and Tab 10.1 are almost identical except for the camera, size, and ports.

After the Xoom got the 4G upgrade, it seems that whoever sent it in to do the upgrade from 3G to 4G said it was an incredible change. My only concern with the Xoom is that itsa year old and will it get ICS? I do like how the Xoom has the HDMI and SD ports.

The Tab 10.1 looks excellent as well and I do like how its so dam thin, but not having the ports that the Xoom has bothers me but not by taht much cause I can always get the extra adapters for it.

Forgot to mention, would any of these 2 deiveces be able to forward phone calls or texts to my cell phone since I will be using Verizons service?
Anyone can shed some light on which to get between these 2?

Thanks in advance.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I would get the XOOM, and I think you'll hear a lot of that being you're in the XOOM forum.

The XOOM seems more sturdy to me. I like the metal back, and I like that it has some weight to it. The SD card is good too for storing movies and what not.

The other big reason for the XOOM over the Tab 10.1 is the UI. The XOOM is a "Google Experience Device", which means that it will continue to run vanilla android. Samsung is famous for taking FOREVER to push updates. When I say forever, I mean FOREVER. More than a year in some cases.

The XOOM will not only get ICS, but it will be the first tablet to get it. Samsung won't push it out until they have forever and a day to get TOUCHWIZ integrated with it.

Buy the XOOM...you'll love it.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Oh yeah...not to mention the XOOM is cheaper and has a better camera.

If I was buying again today and they were the same price, I would pick the XOOM. I would probably even pay $50-$100 more for the XOOM.

I paid $799 for mine plus accessories and don't regret it one bit.

buzzardjrt

After having a Samsung device and learning of how poor their customer service is, I will never, repeat, never purchase another Samsung Phone or Tablet.

As the previous commenter said, they will not update anything so as long as your happy with what version of software is installed then your good.

I purchased a Motorola phone with the intention of getting a Motorola tablet thinking they would work well together and may play off each other in some way shape or form.

There is a rumor about the next Xoom I am going to wait for. And an even better Motorola Tablet in the works that is rumored to be out by year end that is a quad core. I am holding out for that one.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Only thing that is better on the Samsung is the screen which in itself is a pretty big deal. I'm a geek and own both and really either case you'll get a great product. Things I can tell you is Samsungs proprietary port is annoying, the Motorola feels like its built mil spec, and the Motorola gets much better reception with wifi and 3/4g.

nautcasprt6

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Well Updates is a HUGE thing on any wireless device. Motorola did take months to let out the 4G upate, but being the Google Experience since Google has Motorola is also a huge thing.
I initially was looking at the TAB because it was thinner and newer, but the same specs.........Why would I bother.
After everyones comments, im leaning more and more towards the Xoom especially being cheaper.
NOW what Buzz said. If I knew what the Xoom 2 is and if it is by the years end with 4G through Verizon, I will DEF wait.
Any other updates on that?

Thanks again in advance.

lobobuzz

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
This really may not be much help or answer your questions but I love my Xoom. It is an amazing device for me. When I sent in for the 4G upgrade it made me realize how integrated into my daily live it has become. I do not regret my purchase and I've been happy with Motorola support etc.

If the Xoom does not get ICS I would not be disappointed at all... I find the OS to be effortless and easy to use as is. If ICS does come to the Xoom... cool.

Good luck with your decision!!

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I'd be surprised if you saw something before the end of the year. That said, I guarantee you'll see some form of a successor next year.

Just buy it and enjoy it. It's a killer device.

nautcasprt6

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Well from everyone here and doing more research, I am DEF getting a Xoom. My only question is now, do I wait for the Xoom 2.
I have a few more weeks before I can make the purchase so hopefully a date for the Xoom 2 appears.
And a side note, the xoom fits in my backpack while the tab was a tiny bit bigger and didnt fit. HAHA:)

Im already starting to look at accessories and I didnt even buy it yet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance