Force using YouTube app instead of browser/YouTube site

roscko

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
This really aggrevates me whenever I click on a YouTube link in a Facebook app post, it fires up the browser and goes to the YouTube mobile website of the video instead of loading it in the built-in YouTube app. Same goes for when I click on YouTube links to videos from Gmail and other apps!

The web based YouTube mobile site sux monkey balls (slow loading, jolty video, stuttery sound, laaaaaaaggy controls, etc.) compared to using the native app. How do I force Xoom to use the native app?!

Castorshells

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Go to settings, applications, look for the one you don't want popping up, the browser right?,,,,towards bottom after you click on it look for CLEAR DEFAULTS.

Next time you try to watch a video it should give you choice you again.

roscko

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I tried doing that, and it still loads the link in the web browser. It's as if the YouTube app just doesn't pick up on the clicked link.

I even tried clearing defaults for the YouTube app. Still no use.

Any other ideas?

matthimrod

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I've seen this happen to me as well. It's because you're probably using a mobile YouTube link. Go to the bottom of the YouTube page in the browser and tap "Desktop". The video should then open in the YouTube app.

roscko

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
@Castorshells: I can't uninstall YouTube. It won't let me probably because its a stock app with the Xoom Family Edition.

@matthimrod: that solution works, thanks. However, I still find it ed that I'm forced to go to the mobile site, lag through that just to get to the "Desktop" link, click on that, and THEN it loads in my native youtube app.

It grinds my gears how so many websites force you to use their mobile version, even though those who surf on their mobile device use smart phones or tablets that can handle the main site, and those who cant don't use their dumbphone to surf the internet anyway!

matthimrod

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
@Castorshells: I can't uninstall YouTube. It won't let me probably because its a stock app with the Xoom Family Edition.

@matthimrod: that solution works, thanks. However, I still find it ed that I'm forced to go to the mobile site, lag through that just to get to the "Desktop" link, click on that, and THEN it loads in my native youtube app.

It grinds my gears how so many websites force you to use their mobile version, even though those who surf on their mobile device use smart phones or tablets that can handle the main site, and those who cant don't use their dumbphone to surf the internet anyway!

Yeah, I hate it too. Unfortunately, it's the best method I've found so far. If you find a way to associate the mobile links with the app, please let me know!!

Castorshells

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
For desktop setting...

Open browser,,,,,,,,,,type about:debug in address bar,,,,,,,,,,press enter,,,,,,,,it won't look like it does anything,,,,,,,, top right corner of screen, touch settings,,,,,,,then touch debug,,,,,,, then look for user agent string or (UA),,,,,,,, set to desktop.

Sent from my Xoom

Reactions: DeGroo

DeGroo

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
For desktop setting...

Open browser,,,,,,,,,,type about:debug in address bar,,,,,,,,,,press enter,,,,,,,,it won't look like it does anything,,,,,,,, top right corner of screen, touch settings,,,,,,,then touch debug,,,,,,, then look for user agent string or (UA),,,,,,,, set to desktop.

Sent from my Xoom

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar! What an amazing thing! With this solution you can also remove the wide viewport feature of the browser, making sites look normal again, especially considering the new facebook timeline zoom problem! The only problem seems to be that its not permanent: if I restart my xoom I need to type in about:debug again. Any advice on how to keep those changes permanent? Thanks!!!

As for the first post, you can always long press on the link, press on open and then select the youtube app

MrRius

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi! Mr. Rius here. I suggest you do this: "Go to settings>Manage Applications>Internet>Clear Cache, Clear Defaults, and Clear Data. You can now choose "Internet for watching Youtube videos."

Mike Zanine

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I know and all the "share on facebook" links go straight to the mobile site that crashes repeatedly and totally circumvents the app. Meanwhile all these forums constantly pop up windows saying "hey, thers an app for this page, you should download it" when I already have it but hate being forced to log in to it every 15 damn minutes...
Youd think this stuff would be in app or browser setting somewhere. Music and maps and browsers constantly ask "what files should this open or what do you want as your default player/browser" but never where it matters... this is why these kids shoot people.

vaughtk1999

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
could this have something to do with my inability to open YouTube app? Just started today.. when I tap on icon, nothing at all happens. I unlink my Google account and all apps from Facebook, but I know Facebook owns my *** on some hidden levels! lol

serealize

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Since facebook likes to track your link it creates a weblink to facebook instead of youtube, this makes the app selection restricted to browsers. to prevent this you can install a small app called NoDetour, with this you will see a no detour app in the dialog that will open up the app choice dialog right away again, where you can then choose the youtube app.

Listerdude

Dec 9, 2016
Visit site
I think your problem is with the YouTube app setting not Facebook's. Try going to settings-apps-youtube-open by default. Then click open supported links in this app and choose always allow.

Khaled Hijazi

Jun 27, 2017
Visit site
If your using Firefox on android device, after you click on the link and the video is already open via browser in the search bar (android robot sign) will appear click on it then the video will open in youtube app, but before that u should have already #1 - set it as default and #2 - open via this app; in Apps settings, youtube.

Thacy

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
I think your problem is with the YouTube app setting not Facebook's. Try going to settings-apps-youtube-open by default. Then click open supported links in this app and choose always allow.

Thanks, this works for me.

Settings > Apps > YouTube > Set as default > Go to supported URLs > Via this app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995