How to Flash ICS for WiFi Xoom NO ROOT REQUIRED

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Motorola Xoom ICS update. FLASH WITH NO ROOT REQUIRED

If what is LTE or wifi only? The update? That's easy...the LTE version ain't out yet. :D If you're asking about whether the Xoom is LTE or wifi only, well, um, no comment on that one! :D

thelostsaint

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site

well i just got mine today, and just learning everything and trying to catch up, but not sure if my xoom is wifi only, or LTE..

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site

well i just got mine today, and just learning everything and trying to catch up, but not sure if my xoom is wifi only, or LTE..

Lte has Verizon branding on the front of the device. The wifi has only motorola branding.

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

But what do you do if your pc doesn't "see" the Xoom with the OTG cable attached? I have had this ongoing problem with my laptop being connected to the Xoom but not "seeing" it. All I get is that an MTP device is connected (yes, I have gone to Motorola's website and downloaded all the drivers) but when I go to the Device Manager, it does something really strange...the dropdown list will appear and it will show the MTP Device (not Xoom...just MTP Device), then the list will minimize and re-maximize and show MTP Device with a "!", then it will minimize/re-maximize and show MTP Device without the "!" and continue this way until I finally just disconnect it.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Huh? The otg cable isn't for connecting to a PC. It's to allow you to plug a USB flashdrive in.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

Okay...guess I was misunderstood the abbreviation. So..the OTG cable allows you to connect a USB flashdrive (where do you get one?) but whatever the connecting cable is called that allows you to connect the PC to the Xoom is my first issue since I can't do anything if the pc doesn't see my Xoom, right?

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
If you're just trying to do this update the the PC connection doesn't matter at all. (I'd still try to fix that but it has nothing to do with this update...and who knows maybe the update will cure that for you) A USB flash drive is just one of those little sticks that plug in and are used like any other drive on your machine. Plug it into the PC, copy the update to the root folder, plug in the otg adapter on the xoom, plug the flash drive into that, and reboot into recovery. To do that can be tricky. When the dual core screen comes up, count to 3 and hit volume down. If it says android recovery, hit volume up. When you get the pic of the Droid and the ! hit power and volume up to bring up the recovery menu. From there you should be able to flash the update.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

thelostsaint

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site

Okay...guess I was misunderstood the abbreviation. So..the OTG cable allows you to connect a USB flashdrive (where do you get one?) but whatever the connecting cable is called that allows you to connect the PC to the Xoom is my first issue since I can't do anything if the pc doesn't see my Xoom, right?

well if you dont want to wait, or you can find one at a local store, try that, or you can try to make yours

( How To Make an OTG Cable for Xoom or any OTG Host Capable Device - YouTube )

or you can buy one here : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU1555900

thelostsaint

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site

yea, but supposedly there was a way to do it through the sd slot.... but i cant find a single thing on it or how to do it that way. they said the best way is to do it with the host cable, but alas i dont have one and goin to take atleast 2 weeks at a minium to get here... grr

lostinspace

May 19, 2010
Visit site

You can not apply the update through the SD card, it must be done from a USB stick using an OTG cable or similar adapter. Or you can wait until Moto pushes the update, which hopefully will be soon. You can probably get a OTG cable/camera kit locally if you're willing to pay a bit more instead of waiting for the cheapo from China. Check Best Buy or Verizon stores.

Enjoying a new feeling Xoom with ICS

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
It can be done from sd card but not in stock recovery and the update has to be edited to remove the first two assertions. Not for the faint of heart.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

BasPilot just made an awesome guide for updating LTE Xooms. I added a link to the OP :)

migespy

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site

keep getting 'failed to mount \sd card (No such file or directory)' when i try the USB option. I am using the camera OTG usb cable through android recovery NOT CW recovery. What am i Missing?

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site

MODS can you make this a sticky thread. I believe it to be of great use to the community

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

MODS can you make this a sticky thread. I believe it to be of great use to the community

Threads with a link to an off-site guide aren't made sticky threads. If you'd like to make a quick write-up/guide in your own words for the thread, I'd be happy to review it for sticky-status.

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site

Threads with a link to an off-site guide aren't made sticky threads. If you'd like to make a quick write-up/guide in your own words for the thread, I'd be happy to review it for sticky-status.

All the external link was supply the file. I tried to upload the file but i kept getting an error probably becasue the file is 80mb. I did supply a step by step guide which i made by trail and error which reads:

Ok i think i figured it out. You cannot use the mircosd card slot to install the file.

you must use the otg cable.

And for anyone not familiar with recovery boot for the motorola Xoom here are the steps
1. Reboot press power and volume up button at same time.
2. At the motorola dual core screen>> press volume down ONCE after about 2 seconds you will see recover at the top left of screen.Press power button. If anything else comes up go back to step one and repeat. (Timing is wierd here)
3.We should be at the green android screen with the yellow warning sign. Press power and volume up keys once at the same time. This brings up the recovery menu. Use the Volume keys to move up and down and the power button to select.

I will add this to the OP and edit some things. Would that be enough