How to Flash ICS for WiFi Xoom NO ROOT REQUIRED

danskkn

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Worked perfectly.... I ordered the OTG cable from Amazon on Monday and it arrived on Tuesday. Downloaded file onto USB, followed directions and voila! ICS. When I first tried, I hit a button wrong and ended up stuck on Fastboot protocol support, but I just rebooted and started over....no problems at all. As I have this on my phone, I am familiar with it, but looking forward to seeing it in action on my Xoom!!! What are some things people are noticing with this update? (Non-soak testers of course!)

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I Just read threw all the posts, I am not rooted but I am unlocked, will it matter if I am Unlocked?

I tried to root before (a couple times actually) but literally gave up after 5 hours of frustration, using a Mac makes everything just that much harder to find guides and files.

Unlocked is no problem. You can install it so long as everything is still stock.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

DACNET

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I am following the directions but keep receiving the E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Has anyone experienced this issue and have a resolution? I followed the earlier posted directions to re-download the zip file but keep having the same issue.

Help!

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I am following the directions but keep receiving the E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Has anyone experienced this issue and have a resolution? I followed the earlier posted directions to re-download the zip file but keep having the same issue.

Help!

What kind of drive are you using to store the. Zip

DACNET

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
The Thumb Drive wasn't the problem.

(User Error!)
My problem was I flashed back to stock and didn't accept the 2 system updates. Once I did that I was able to apply the update from the USB drive.

GuyH

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a UK wifi Xoom. Can I apply this update?

I tried to install on my stock Xoom and it gets so far as to say the package failed verification. I downloaded the zip from the link in this thread.

Last edited:

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I have a UK wifi Xoom. Can I apply this update?

I tried to install on my stock Xoom and it gets so far as to say the package failed verification. I downloaded the zip from the link in this thread.

No. US wifi xoom only. And the update is now being pushed ota.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Reactions: GuyH

gibby357

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
This is an extremely informative thread. Several people answering a lot of questions without being smart or condescending. I learned just by reading what an OTG is and what it is used for. I learned that when concerning the Xoom, not all memory sticks are created equal. I learned about different errors that I might receive and what they mean and how to correct them. Great information. One question that I have, since we are talking about WiFi Xoom, am I right in assuming that that includes the WiFi Family Edition?

Geezerb

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Accepted the update, rebooted but got stuck on the exclamation icon screen. Reboots leave it on the Motorola screen. When I get home I will try the USB method. Mine is wifi only. Should I remove the SD card? Saw somewhere that it might interfere with the upgrade.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
This is an extremely informative thread. Several people answering a lot of questions without being smart or condescending. I learned just by reading what an OTG is and what it is used for. I learned that when concerning the Xoom, not all memory sticks are created equal. I learned about different errors that I might receive and what they mean and how to correct them. Great information. One question that I have, since we are talking about WiFi Xoom, am I right in assuming that that includes the WiFi Family Edition?

No. That's a different piece of hardware and has its own rom, unfortunately. There has been a great deal of talk on other forums of not just when, but, if the FE is going to see ICS. I really don't have any knowledge of the device other than to tell you it's not the same as the original WIFI edition. Sorry to be the bearer of what is likely not going to be popular news.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Accepted the update, rebooted but got stuck on the exclamation icon screen. Reboots leave it on the Motorola screen. When I get home I will try the USB method. Mine is wifi only. Should I remove the SD card? Saw somewhere that it might interfere with the upgrade.

It won't hurt to remove it. That doesn't sound like a good situation, however. I hope you're able to get it sorted out.

Geezerb

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
It won't hurt to remove it. That doesn't sound like a good situation, however. I hope you're able to get it sorted out.

I removed the SD card, rebooted & it came up with the old version. I tried forcing an update via settings but nothing. My guess is the update file was saved to the SD card. After an extensive search through my house I concluded that I don't have the correct cable to use above method. Will an external SD card & reader work?

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I removed the SD card, rebooted & it came up with the old version. I tried forcing an update via settings but nothing. My guess is the update file was saved to the SD card. After an extensive search through my house I concluded that I don't have the correct cable to use above method. Will an external SD card & reader work?

I doubt it but you never know. But the OTA update gets downloaded to /system/cache afaik, so, that wouldn't be on the sd card.

Geezerb

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I doubt it but you never know. But the OTA update gets downloaded to /system/cache afaik, so, that wouldn't be on the sd card.

Don't want to be a nuisance, but is there any way to force the OTA DL again? Got all exited for nothing it seems:(

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Don't want to be a nuisance, but is there any way to force the OTA DL again? Got all exited for nothing it seems:(

I don't know. One would think doing a system update check would find it. If it's not, I really don't know what to tell you unfortunately.

Geezerb

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Here is how to force the OTA DL:

Here is the fastest way to pull the OTA update from the sky.

Go to Setting –> Apps –> search for Google Services Framework –> Clear data –> Now go to About Tablet –> System Updates –> then hit Check Now button.

Reactions: SamuriHL

listloadrun

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Here is how to force the OTA DL:

Here is the fastest way to pull the OTA update from the sky.

Go to Setting –> Apps –> search for Google Services Framework –> Clear data –> Now go to About Tablet –> System Updates –> then hit Check Now button.

Thanks for the suggestion Geezerb but sadly that still shows no system update for me :( . Waiting for the OTG cable to be delivered (no one local had one) and was hoping that would do the trick. Ah well, something something patience, something something, right? :p

cbill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Listload: Did you reboot after clearing GS Framework? You might give that a try. Then do the System update check.

Good Luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith