How to Flash ICS for WiFi Xoom NO ROOT REQUIRED

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: Motorola Xoom ICS update. FLASH WITH NO ROOT REQUIRED

All the external link was supply the file. I tried to upload the file but i kept getting an error probably becasue the file is 80mb. I did supply a step by step guide which i made by trail and error which reads:

Ok i think i figured it out. You cannot use the mircosd card slot to install the file.

you must use the otg cable.

And for anyone not familiar with recovery boot for the motorola Xoom here are the steps
1. Reboot press power and volume up button at same time.
2. At the motorola dual core screen>> press volume down ONCE after about 2 seconds you will see recover at the top left of screen.Press power button. If anything else comes up go back to step one and repeat. (Timing is wierd here)
3.We should be at the green android screen with the yellow warning sign. Press power and volume up keys once at the same time. This brings up the recovery menu. Use the Volume keys to move up and down and the power button to select.

I will add this to the OP and edit some things. Would that be enough

For files too large to upload directly to the forums, try a site like multiupload.com or mirrorcreator.com instead.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

It should be noted that the LTE version of that rom is a custom built rom and is not stock. It's simply how to go FROM stock to a custom rom. Nice, but, not exactly the same as what the WIFI owners are getting which is an official update. Also, you WILL lose data following the LTE guide if your Xoom isn't already unlocked. That process wipes it clean. Just something to be aware of. Not saying there's anything wrong with it....I myself am running a custom ICS build right now (Team EOS)...but it's not the same thing as the update the WIFI users are getting.

migespy

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site

Motorola XOOM camara OTG cable not working. Says \sd card not mounted

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

It's not the cable. It's likely your flash drive. That's happened to a lot of people. Some have formatted theirs and it worked, but, there are a LOT of flash drives that don't appear to work at all with the Xoom. Try a smaller/older one if you have one.

Reactions: haus

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

Took me three thumbdrives to find one it recognized and I formatted each the same. The one that worked is a small 4GB PNY model that my wife found on the street.

Dave

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site

For files too large to upload directly to the forums, try a site like multiupload.com or mirrorcreator.com instead.

I updated the OP, cleaned it up a bit, and added some more info. How about we get this bad boy sticky? thanks

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

I updated the OP, cleaned it up a bit, and added some more info. How about we get this bad boy sticky? thanks

Looks good. I changed the title to differentiate this thread from the LTE one.

You've got sticky :)

mhpspeed

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I Just read threw all the posts, I am not rooted but I am unlocked, will it matter if I am Unlocked?

I tried to root before (a couple times actually) but literally gave up after 5 hours of frustration, using a Mac makes everything just that much harder to find guides and files.

joelkamp

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
So now that I took the plunge and upgraded to ICS ... what is the future upgrade path. Will over the air updates work as normal? If the official ICS release is a bit different will this version be updated? Overall things are working great.

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I Just read threw all the posts, I am not rooted but I am unlocked, will it matter if I am Unlocked?

I tried to root before (a couple times actually) but literally gave up after 5 hours of frustration, using a Mac makes everything just that much harder to find guides and files.

I looked around but found no info. I have a locked bootloader. MODS any idea about this??

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
So now that I took the plunge and upgraded to ICS ... what is the future upgrade path. Will over the air updates work as normal? If the official ICS release is a bit different will this version be updated? Overall things are working great.

Yes any updates will overwrite this version. All we did here was install an update, just not ota (over the air). And this is a stock untouched update straight from motorola. Unlike the verzion for the LTE which is a modded version of the update. The next OTA update should install right over this one. If in any case that does not work, I will post another thread on how to downgrade back to Honeycomb. Then we would update back to ICS using OTA update.

joelkamp

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks harold, I thought, or at least hoped, that might be the answer. Did anybody else notice that the Music app did not get the new ICS style menu button? I wonder if that the music.apk was not updated in this build or if Google just missed this in their ICS music app.

Last edited:

ProvoAggie

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I installed this today and everything appeared to go well. The OS seems to run very fast but all of my 3rd party apps are running much slower than they used to. When I select an item on a list, the device freezes for 10-15 seconds before doing anything. I'm also getting quite a few Force Closes....I've been updated for less than an hour and have seem 7 or 8 already. Anyone else having these problems? Should I reflash it?

forkball316

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I installed this today and everything appeared to go well. The OS seems to run very fast but all of my 3rd party apps are running much slower than they used to. When I select an item on a list, the device freezes for 10-15 seconds before doing anything. I'm also getting quite a few Force Closes....I've been updated for less than an hour and have seem 7 or 8 already. Anyone else having these problems? Should I reflash it?

Check in the market to make sure that the apps experiencing problems have been updated to run on ICS.

cutlip98

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm stuck at step 4

4.You should now be at a screen with a green android, that has gears in his chest, and we should see a yellow hazard sign.>>> Press Volume Up and Power Button at the same time. This is the only way to bring up the recovery menu.

i get to a screen with a Green android with a yellow triangle and an exclamation mark, but when I presh Volume Up and Power Button, the Xoom just reboots.

What am I doing wrong?

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm stuck at step 4

4.You should now be at a screen with a green android, that has gears in his chest, and we should see a yellow hazard sign.>>> Press Volume Up and Power Button at the same time. This is the only way to bring up the recovery menu.

i get to a screen with a Green android with a yellow triangle and an exclamation mark, but when I presh Volume Up and Power Button, the Xoom just reboots.

What am I doing wrong?

Ok got just press the simultaneously just once. Do not press and hold the buttons. Try it again and let me know what happens